Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Touch screens in cars should be illegal

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Vacuum fluorescence displays are the best! But, the standard pixelized monocrome LCD of the Mirage is fine.
    A "best of both worlds" solution would be OLED. Good visibility/brightness/contrast of a VFD, and all the display freedom of a LCD. I'm surprised the cars with 100% digital gauge clusters aren't using OLED, it's a perfect use-case (other than not having physical dial indicators). I was actually working on my own ScanGuage-style device with a Arduino that was based on a 1" OLED display, it's easily readable at a glance in all conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

I'd be okay with voice activated commands. Maybe.....I can see some disadvantages with kids in the car though lol. We have one of those google home and amazon echo things that are neat to use once in a while. They can be pretty frustrating though, I'm waiting for one to swear back at me one of these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd be okay with voice activated commands. Maybe.....I can see some disadvantages with kids in the car though lol. We have one of those google home and amazon echo things that are neat to use once in a while. They can be pretty frustrating though, I'm waiting for one to swear back at me one of these days.
    I use Android Auto quite a bit in my car, the voice commands work very well even with the stock HU and mic, spare for when cell coverage is spotty which can cause it to be delayed in responding or even sometimes just time out and ignore you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux
    "best of both worlds" solution would be OLED. Good visibility/brightness/contrast of a VFD, and all the display freedom of a LCD
    OK you got me, OLED would be better. My Nokia C7 smartphone has one and I do enjoy the quality of image it offers, plus the pixels can't freeze on cold winter days.

As for voice commands It's a gimmick in my mind. I traveled to my grandpas house for Christmas with my parents in their then freshly bought '19 F150. My dad tried to impress me by voice commanding grandpas address into GPS. He proceeded to spend a good 10 minutes arguing with the truck trying to set the navigation. Slow as my phone is to get a GPS lock I ended up just giving him my phone with the Drive app set to guide our way and end the Human/cybervoice argument.

I can't for the life of me understand why $99 smart speakers are a thing. Or that I read yesterday opening my junkmail that "you can now tell your TV to change the channel without even picking up the remote..." Really is picking up the remote and pushing a button harder, how? Call me proudly stuck in 2010.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    OMG yes, finally someone else that agrees with me. Buttons for the win!

Anyone know offhand how to transfer a warranty, I looked on Mitsubishis website but didn't see anything. Asking since I should get my ECU reprogrammed. Or can I even transfer after already owning for 10 months?

One thing everyone on this thread is forgetting is that screens on the dash are the only way to get a backup camera, and backup cameras are a safety upgrade. So, myself I hate screens in cars, but at the same time I recognize the safety upgrade you get from a back up camera (if used properly).

I think a lot of auto manufacturers now realize they put too much into screens, so they are balancing screen time with physical knobs for basic, everyday settings, and screens for other things. No matter what though, I think the screens are distracting, yet ironically they give you a backup camera, which is better than having no backup camera.

My 2014 Mirage has no screen on my console. I like that better, not a gizmos guy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    One thing everyone on this thread is forgetting is that screens on the dash are the only way to get a backup camera, and backup cameras are a safety upgrade. So, myself I hate screens in cars, but at the same time I recognize the safety upgrade you get from a back up camera (if used properly).

I think a lot of auto manufacturers now realize they put too much into screens, so they are balancing knobs for basic, everyday settings, and screens for other things. I think the screens are distracting, yet ironically they give you a backup camera, which is better than having no backup camera.

My 2014 Mirage has no screens on my console. I like that better, not a gizmos guy.
    Backup cameras are mandatory in the states now. If they save the life of one person (child), it is worth it. In my mind, that's a separate issue from cars having touchscreens. Touchscreens don't save lives! You can't operate a touchscreen without taking your eyes off the road.

You also can't pass a driving test without turning your head around & looking back while backing.

My 2017 Mirage ES doesn't have a screen, but anything beyond 2018 will.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-27-2020),MacClyver (03-27-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh Mark, maybe no touch screens, and only a basic backup camera system. I had 2 Mitsubishi rentals the past few years, both had touch screens, the lancer had a touch screen and no back up camera. So I'm glad 2018 that the backup camera is mandatory in the USA.

A backup camera is for reference, you still have to look behind you and physically turn your head when you're going backwards. In this regards, it's important to point out that the Mirage's back windows and B-pillar equal really poor visibility, in my opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yea eh Mark, maybe no touch screens, and only a basic backup camera system. I had 2 Mitsubishi rentals the past few years, both had touch screens, the lancer had a touch screen and no back up camera. So I'm glad 2018 that the backup camera is mandatory in the USA.

A backup camera is for reference, you still have to look behind you and physically turn your head when you're going backwards. In this regards, it's important to point out that the Mirage's back windows and B-pillar equal really poor visibility, in my opinion.
    Backup cameras are now mandatory, but they don't have to be touchscreen devices. Most vehicles have poor visibility in the back these days. I have zero issues with backup cameras. They save lives. Touchscreens can/may have the opposite impact on driving. Dashes have become to distracting in some vehicle. Simple is better in my opinion. I may not be the norm, however.

Yea eh So I'm glad 2018 that the backup camera is mandatory in the USA.
    Back up camera's have been mandatory in Canada since 2018......Eh. They're handy at times but totally useless 1/2 the year when the camera is dirty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Back up camera's have been mandatory in Canada since 2018......Eh. They're handy at times but totally useless 1/2 the year when the camera is dirty.
    Yeah eh Fummins the cameras get dirty half the year, that is true. That's why self-driving cars and transport trucks etc don't work well in the winter climates. I saw those driverless transport trucks on 60 minutes. I think you have cameras, and real-time GPS positioning going on with that system, not just a dirty backup camera.

I liked my backup camera on my 2019 Santa Fe rental I had in Alberta. That SUV was so big I liked backing in parking spots like in the West Edmonton mall parking garage, with my camera. It was a novelty item for me to have a camera compared to my daily driver Mirage.

I'm not sure how health insurance works with being in Canada from ONtario but in Alberta for the week, so I had RBC insurance but that doesn't make sense since your RBCs are the same. Same with the 3 weeks I lived in Quebec when I was 20 and then I didn't worry about insurance.

Last edited by dspace9; 03-27-2020 at 08:55 PM.