Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low mileage CVT issues

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Low mileage CVT issues

Hello everyone! I have an ‘18 G4 that is experiencing some annoying transmission symptoms. It whines loudly, searches for gears, holds RPMs way longer than it should. CanÂ’t keep a constant speed on the highway. At 70MPH the thing is at 3k, and the slightest depression of the gas pedal makes it scream to 4k + rpms. It used to hold at 2,600k I get get vibrations at highway speed also, which I thought was a wheel bearing. When you come to a stop it no longer goes into neutral coasting in. It just lurches forward with a delayed shift immediately after stopping. On hills, and we have a lot of steep ones, the hill start assist will kick in, but if you donÂ’t push the gas down before the brake disengages, it rolls back quickly and stalls. It never used to do this. The transmission itself used to hold it in place after the brake disengaged. Now it just lets it roll.

I took the car in for service, and found that the wheel bearing was fine. However, on a lift, you get a vibration from the front driverÂ’s hub. I was told by the dealer that it may be related to the transmission, and that upon driving it, they concurred it was noisy and acting funny. But they canÂ’t do anything to it until the idiot light turns on?! They already flashed the transmission last year. Any advice? The oil level is fine. It has a dark tan color to it. 26k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tan? Considering the fluid starts off blue. I'd start there.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Alex. I doubt they even looked at the transmission dipstick. I didn’t know it was supposed to be blue, not tan. The manual doesn’t even recommend changing it until 2 years or 30k miles. I have to drive across the country with this car next month, 3k miles thru mountains etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Hm, I wonder if it's the right lubricant?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It’s been the same fluid in there since it left the factory or at least since I got it at 42 miles. I just don’t remember checking it or what color it was if I did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    CVT fluid isn’t blue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So what ended up happening with your CVT, Did the dealer resolve it? Such low clicks on the car. Shouldn't that all be covered under warranty? I would keep pestering the dealer to fix it, engine light on or not.

I like Mitsubishi products, but I find their dealers to be very stingy and 2 faced about warranty work. Advertising 10 year warranty and easy credit reputation for a high quality product is what gets people in the door, Mitsubishi.

I know CVTs nowadays are generally better than ever. I stick with manuals myself because I think they are more reliable.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-29-2020 at 05:41 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you. Luckily, besides this, I haven’t needed to utilize the warranty. Definitely a wonderful little car. At 25k it needed new pads and rotors, tires. But I expected that with the agressive traffic I have to contend with here. I will continue pestering them come Monday. The only resolution they have come up with is when the idiot light turns on, they will do something. But to me, none of the aforementioned is typical of other CVT owners so I gather. Is it the consensus that the trans might be on its way out? I need some backup. The concerned clueless housewife is not the stance I want to take with the dealership. Albeit since I’m a man. Who knows how this warranty process works when it comes to clearly faulty transmissions? The dealer mentioned that had to replace one that had 16k miles on it so I’m doubtful I’m the only one. There must be hundreds of people blissfully unaware that their transmission has been robbing fuel economy and acting up for thousands of miles. They only realize it when it craps out and then Mitsubishi says “Sorry, should have changed the fluid/filter at 30k-24mos”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Glow-worm For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-29-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow-worm View Post
    Thank you. Luckily, besides this, I haven’t needed to utilize the warranty. Definitely a wonderful little car.
    So you think the car came with the issue? I would definitely make a warranty claim for this one. Time to utilize the warranty if there were a time.

Especially do it before the 5 year new car warranty portion of the warranty is up, otherwise they will use that against you. But transmission is powertrain. My Mirage had a faulty starter from day 1, and I finally got the dealer to fix it, but it took a lot of hassle and back and forth.

Stay calm and carry on to the next dealer if you need to. Where I live my options are limited, so my local Mitsu has a monopoly on Mitsubishi, and they changed owners since my purchase 6 years ago.

They don't like me there now but at least I got my issues all resolved, except my console dash light being out now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    CVT fluid isn’t blue.
    Yes, the original mine had and replaced with is greenish-blue.

Last edited by Alex1a1f; 03-29-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    (blank signature)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (03-29-2020)