Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Hi all! Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give as much info as I could. I own a 2015 Mirage ES with 140,000 miles on it. I purchased it new, and probably close to 90% of the miles are easy driven highway. A few months back, I noticed what I thought was a slight slipping of the cvt. About 15 miles into my 40 mile commute, with steady pressure on the accelerator, it would suddenly drop approx 500 rpm, but would "surge" right back to where it was previously. If I kept steady pressure on the pedal, it would do this several times, back to back to back. If I increased or decreased pressure on the pedal, it would stop and not happen again on that commute. This would happen periodically at first, then daily, then regularly to AND from work, also getting more noticeable. No cel and no blinking gear indicator. I took it to the dealership where they found no codes or anything wrong, nor could they reproduce the symptoms. They did update the ECU, as it was a recall, and it maybe seemed a little better right after, however, it has progressively gotten worse again.

NOW.... Almost home the other day, it started doing it, which was strange (usually only happens approx 15 miles into trip). I exited off the freeway, came to the stop sign, and when I pressed on the gas..... no response. Car didn't stall, but no increase in rpm's, no movement, nothing. I was on a slight decline, so I did slowly roll forward and with pedal still pushed, it finally sputtered a bit, then SLOWLY increased in speed. Thankfully I made it home without needing to stop again. I stopped at the beginning of my driveway, and when I stepped on the accelerator, nothing. I tried "B" & "R", nothing. I shut the car off, started it back up, put it in "D" and it drove normally into the garage. I unhooked the negative battery cable, stepped on the brake for over a minute, then left cable off for several hours. When I started it up, I let idle for 15 minutes before taking on a short test drive, and it drove normal. I took it on a couple more in town drives, and they were normal, which gave me hope. Then I drove it approx 10 miles on a non busy hwy, came to a stop, pushed on accelerator and nothing. I was able to get it home again after turning it off and restarting it.

Currently: Still no cel or flashing gear indicator. I've added a bottle of Techron to the gas tank, drove it on back streets a bit and let it idle for a while.

I did do a cvt fluid drain & fill with external filter change not long ago. Can't remember if early symptoms had shown up before I did this.....old fluid wasn't horrible. However, I'm thinking more along the lines of maybe accelerator pedal/sensor or maybe fuel related?

Additional notes: When accelerator pedal isn't responding in "R, D, B", if I put in "N or P", rpm's do go up with pedal pressure, although with a very slight delay to the response. MPG's have seemed to drop a bit over the last year or so.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and for any input! God bless!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hope you figure it out! Transmission issue it sounds like, at first anyways. That is a lot of miles on that car I guess who knows what the story is. But I wish you all the best of luck. Leave it to the experts to figure it out on here! Cheers

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Was going to suggest adding the Techron, but re-read that you already did that!

It may take some time to work, but I hope someone else offers some more advice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    ...When accelerator pedal isn't responding in "R, D, B", if I put in "N or P", rpm's do go up with pedal pressure
    So whenever this "no throttle" condition occurs, your transmission is in gear.
    When the transmission is in Neutral or Park, you can sit there and rev the engine normally, correct?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-07-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Only at 140k miles?!? If it is the CVT (God I hope not) you got options on outsourcing a used one. 2015 are interchangeable with 2017 and perhaps even to 2020? Dont feel like you got to $5k to get a brand new one installed. They can be had for $750 and under 50k miles online. Probably cost you another thousand in labor, I had a shop quote me that price when I was just curious and calling around. Fummins, would you say the CVT7 is easier or harder to replace than a traditional automatic?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I've got some questions.

What was the last thing you did to your car? Add a obdII dongle or anything that plugs in there? They usually throw a 1590 communication code among other randoms though.
    Thank you! Last thing I did to it was go through that process of unplugging the battery. I did plug an obdII scan tool into it the day before to see if it picked anything up, but it didn't. That's the 1st time anything has been plugged into it though. The last thing I remember doing when the symptoms began was the drain and fill of CVT fluid, although unfortunately, I don't remember if the early symptoms began right before or after that.

When you say there's no response, do you mean it doesn't rev up while in drive at all or revs up and just doesn't move?
    In R, D and B, it doesn't rev at all....nothing happens. If I put it in P or N, it will rev, however, there seems to be a slight delay in response.

How's your cvt fluid look now, blacker than.....or light brown ish greenish blue whatever...? Black doesn't typically end well.
    Fluid looks light brown/amber

Do your brake lights and brake switch function properly? Both brake/tail lights work? brake lights not staying on with pedal not pushed, no flickering bulbs with nothing on or ignition in run position? Sounds stupid but all of those can mess up these cars.
    Just went out and checked and everything here seems to be working properly.

Have you had brake light bulbs replaced by LED's recently or ever? Again, some led bulbs can cause problems with these things, usually will throw abs and stability control lights though.
    I had replaced the burned out dome light with LED a while back. I had seen on here how replacing the brake lights with LED had created similar issues for some, so one of the 1st things I did was remove that LED bulb from the dome light.

If you do have a transmission problem, I'd drop the oil pan and take a look for metal chunks. I've had good luck reusing the old gasket at least once.
    I'm still holding out hope it's not the transmission

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-08-2020),MetroMPG (04-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So whenever this "no throttle" condition occurs, your transmission is in gear.
    When it happens, it's in reverse, drive or B. It'd be like if you pushed the gas pedal without the car running, nothing happens.... except the car is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    When the transmission is in Neutral or Park, you can sit there and rev the engine normally, correct?
    It revs in park and neutral, however, there seems to be a slight delay to the rev compared to the push of the pedal.... may just be me thinking there is a delay.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum! I've got some questions.

What was the last thing you did to your car? Add a obdII dongle or anything that plugs in there? They usually throw a 1590 communication code among other randoms though.

When you say there's no response, do you mean it doesn't rev up while in drive at all or revs up and just doesn't move?

How's your cvt fluid look now, blacker than.....or light brown ish greenish blue whatever...? Black doesn't typically end well.

Do your brake lights and brake switch function properly? Both brake/tail lights work? brake lights not staying on with pedal not pushed, no flickering bulbs with nothing on or ignition in run position? Sounds stupid but all of those can mess up these cars.

Have you had brake light bulbs replaced by LED's recently or ever? Again, some led bulbs can cause problems with these things, usually will throw abs and stability control lights though.

If you do have a transmission problem, I'd drop the oil pan and take a look for metal chunks. I've had good luck reusing the old gasket at least once.
    Go get 'em, Bubbles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Do you know if the wiring under the drivers left foot was checked or replaced due to the recall? These cars are finicky about wiring issues and we’ve seen a few mysterious problems due to corroded wiring. Since you live in Indiana according to your profile I bet they salt the roads there. If it has been done it still wouldn’t hurt to check. Fummins has dealt with this problem in the fleet he maintains. Just a thought

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-08-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Did you do the CVT fluid change at a dealership, private mechanic, or yourself? If your saying the problem maybe happened right after that, Id make some calls. You drove it for like a month afterwards right? No flashing indicator of "D" is a good sign it might not be your CVT. That indicator is supposed to be rock solid in warning you its your transmission.