Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Fanboys: New cars vs Old cars Toyota reliability

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Again, as of making this thread l realize l'm doing the same thing as my friend...my apologies, moral of the story-get what car that makes you happy and don't worry about what people say. Have a great day everyone, sorry for making a uninformative post, lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Wait, you don't have A/C? I thought all cars came standard with A/C? My Saturn didn't but that was bc l bypassed the compressor.
    I have no A/C in my Mirage. It's true lol. I bought the absolute cheapest new 2014 Mirage I could..the bare-bones ES manual.

No A/C could be a Canadian/non-US market thing...

The other thing that distinguishes my base Mirage is that I have power windows up front, roll-down windows in the rear.

Kinda strange, a real conversation piece there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Some folks are less likely to follow their own inclinations and instead follow others, and are easily influenced?

For example, we judge others and ourselves by what car we drive.

It was pointed out here on the forum some time ago in a comment made about a Mirage owner: There's someone with nothing to prove.
    You can get a 2011 Hyundai Equus for around $10,000, that cost around 80 grand new... Point is, so who cares what you drive! So true Eggman.

Most cars get pretty darned cheap after a few years. That's 429 HP V8 for 10 grand, I saw one online in Quebec for less... another good one is a modern Jag. Or an Alfa

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have no A/C in my Mirage. It's true lol. I bought the absolute cheapest new 2014 Mirage I could..the bare-bones ES manual.

No A/C could be a Canadian/non-US market thing...

The other thing that distinguishes my base Mirage is that I have power windows up front, roll-down windows in the rear.

Kinda strange, a real conversation piece there.
    Same here.

No AC, power windows in the front, rollies in the rear... and no keyless entry! (Wish I had keyless though).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-15-2020),MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    l understand your point, my friend-like any person can irritate me from time to time, and l foolishly get into debates that are not worth engaging in. lt's also ironic bc my friend is incredibly stubborn like me so you can imagine once we have an idea, it's hard to let that go, lol.
    Maybe you need some real data? Here you can find some real-world data, as collected by ADAC, a (the) German roadside assistance company.
    It is in German, of course, but starting from page 7 you can find pure numbers per car model. The unit is 'Number of breakdowns in 2018 per 1,000 registered vehicles', and is sorted by year of first registration. Here you can find that the Mirage (Space Star) has less breakdowns than the Toyota Yaris.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-15-2020),Fummins (05-15-2020),javensbukan (05-15-2020),MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wait, you don't have A/C? I thought all cars came standard with A/C? My Saturn didn't but that was bc l bypassed the compressor.
    That's correct. The base model Mirages in Canada didn't have AC until 2018-19 MY I believe? It was pretty standard practice here in Canada for cheap cars... up until just very recently.

Main reason? It's just too frigging cold most of the year to have it. Even in southern Canada, it's only really *hot* for maaaaybe 3-4 weeks of the year.

It does get sticky though... so so humid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    That's correct. The base model Mirages in Canada didn't have AC until 2018-19 MY I believe? It was pretty standard practice here in Canada for cheap cars... up until just very recently.

Main reason? It's just too frigging cold most of the year to have it. Even in southern Canada, it's only really *hot* for maaaaybe 3-4 weeks of the year.

It does get sticky though... so so humid.
    Yep I'm in southern Ontario.. we get a few heat waves in the summer though more than you do on the coast...

To Space Wolf that is an interesting website, the 4 cars on the main page: none for sale in Canada. So it's fun to see the mini VW's etc... thanks, good to know, that the Mirage ranks against 90th percentile with small cars there. Good info! Super thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Base model in Canada didn't have A/C from 2014-19.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Base model in Canada didn't have A/C from 2014-19.
    Oh, l forgot you guys get the Nissan Micra! So jealous of that car lol, the Micra was cheaper than the Mirage. l get 26mpg in the city, but that's bc l get heavy traffic and a lot of stops.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh, l forgot you guys get the Nissan Micra! So jealous of that car lol, the Micra was cheaper than the Mirage. l get 26mpg in the city, but that's bc l get heavy traffic and a lot of stops.
    Honestly I wonder what the legwork would be to import a used Micra into the states from Canada. Used Micras are cheap, and a lot of them seem to have low km's. I have considered getting a base Micra used car... sort of a 2nd car now that my Mirage is almost paid off. Seems like a lot of car for $6000...