Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighter Aluminum Parts, carbon fiber.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I'm missing something but won't removing the doors increase wind resistance? Not sure what your goal is here. Are you looking to increase MPG, or is just just purely about weight loss.

Btw, congratulations on having the tonsils removed. That probably is going to save you half a pound or so.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but won't removing the doors increase wind resistance? Not sure what your goal is here. Are you looking to increase MPG, or is just just purely about weight loss.
    Not if you also remove the back hatch! Also remove all the interior plastic and that's probably another 50lbs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anything that is carbon fiber found yet? I still can't find any fenders, doors, hatch. RStyle Racing has an Evo style carbon fiber hood. Idk how to be able to purchase this and get it shipped to the US. Still trying to lighten up the car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    Anything that is carbon fiber found yet? Still trying to lighten up the car.
    You can always fill the tires with helium instead of the nitrogen the dealers try to sell you...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BOOM! that's what haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but won't removing the doors increase wind resistance?
    Not if you use plastic wrap to cover the openings!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No offense but this is stupid. The cost of making a aluminum subframe, control arm, etc would cost way more than your gas saving, not to mention you won't be saving much weight either. The only good option, MAYBE to mold your doors shell completely with fibreglass (because carbon fiber would be expensive).. but all the hassle and trouble for just maybe 20lbs saving, is not worth it.

Unless you are building a race car out of a Mirage, otherwise don't bother lol...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    This. Plus, you could actually get more MPG from an engine swap.
    Now that's a pretty big claim.

Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    Honestly I dunno why nobody's had the nuts to swap this thing.
    Because it won't fit. This Mirage is too narrow. Plus it's a cheap city car - there's much better platforms to fiddle with.

Although there are pictures around here of a four cylinder being fitted up somewhere overseas, so there's that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

The oversea's swaps have the front end chopped off at the firewall and had the fenders and front bumper mounts modified to make them fit the lancer structure. Sounds like a pita. It's not as simple as just bolting in an engine with one extra cylinder. It's more like cut front end of old car and weld front end of lancer on, use rubber bands to hold body panels on, use a bunch of blue and red butt connectors, colored wire loom and zip ties that aren't trimmed, route all the wiring poorly and say it's just temporary(we know it isn't) and voila you have yourself a modified import! Oh almost forgot about stickers the more the better, extra points for stickers from mfg that don't even produce anything that fits the car or ones for energy drinks that make it more extreme.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)