Page 75 of 271 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post

Could you cut/shorten the square tubing that go into the hitch adapter, & drill a new hole for the cross bolt that holds it in?

Seems like you could make what you have work. If you ever sold the bike rack, you could sell the adapter with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Could you cut/shorten the square tubing that go into the hitch adapter, & drill a new hole for the cross bolt that holds it in?

Seems like you could make what you have work. If you ever sold the bike rack, you could sell the adapter with it.
    Yeah, I could absolutely do what your saying, but the weight limit of the rack doesn't work for me any ways, so it's better for me to just sell it and buy a different one. This rack has a weight limit of 100lbs. My ebike is 70lbs+ and my other bike is 40lbs-ish. So I would be exceeding the limit if the whole family wanted to ride together. Obviously most companies underestimate the real weight limit, just to cover their asses, but if there was a failure it could be catastrophic!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yeah, I could absolutely do what your saying, but the weight limit of the rack doesn't work for me any ways, so it's better for me to just sell it and buy a different one. This rack has a weight limit of 100lbs. My ebike is 70lbs+ and my other bike is 40lbs-ish. So I would be exceeding the limit if the whole family wanted to ride together. Obviously most companies underestimate the real weight limit, just to cover their asses, but if there was a failure it could be catastrophic!
    If you shorten the bar going into the hitch and had a welder add a triangle piece of metal (both sides) where the horizontal & vertical bars meet, I think it would increase the capacity of what you have.

Let's say you buy a heavy-duty bike rack, the tongue capacity of a Curt hitch for a Mirage is only 200 pounds.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_...shi_Mirage.htm

Weight = adapter, hitch, & bikes. Just thinking out loud here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you shorten the bar going into the hitch and had a welder add a triangle piece of metal (both sides) where the horizontal & vertical bars meet, I think it would increase the capacity of what you have.

Let's say you buy a heavy-duty bike rack, the tongue capacity of a Curt hitch for a Mirage is only 200 pounds.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_...shi_Mirage.htm

Weight = adapter, hitch, & bikes. Just thinking out loud here.
    I get what you're saying, and really appreciate the ideas! I think the weakness in this rack is actually the tire "loops". They are somewhat small tubing and welded on just one end. These could not be easily reinforced. The rack I am going to most likely purchase is this https://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb...ier-62660.html I am part of a facebook group that has a couple members that use this specific rack for their ebike that is the same model as mine. You can really easily strap it down to that cargo carrier and it's very secure. Then I would also be able to have the cargo carrier for moving more bulky stuff too. The weight of that cargo carrier and my current bike rack is actually very close, so as long as I don't go crazy I should be able to stay within the hitches tongue weight capacity.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I used mine to take all my empties in to the nearby bottle depot yesterday. Usually I give them to kids hockey teams or whoever is doing bottle drives but I guess those aren't gonna happen for a while. Took two trips but I made $120 in under 30 mins. Then drove straight to the liquor store to stock up on beer for holidays next week
    I went to return my empties the other day, and the local depot were full... so I came back home with my empties in my trunk. Two dozen tallboy cans of Labatt 50 and hard cider. Have returned to my carport.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally got around to installing the genuine Mitsubishi Motors roof rack and then loaded up the kayaks for a short trip to a local spot on the bay. Car handled pretty well even with a good cross wind (aided by the recently installed DOAX sway bar maybe?), and I managed to top 40mpg while traveling right around 40mph the whole way there. Not bad.Name:  Kayaks.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  99.1 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RhodySpaceStar For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodySpaceStar View Post
    Finally got around to installing the genuine Mitsubishi Motors roof rack and then loaded up the kayaks for a short trip to a local spot on the bay. Car handled pretty well even with a good cross wind (aided by the recently installed DOAX sway bar maybe?), and I managed to top 40mpg while traveling right around 40mph the whole way there. Not bad.Name:  Kayaks.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  99.1 KB
    Nice!!!! What are your thoughts on the OEM (Thule)roof racks? They seem to be the best value out there for our cars and I keep debating whether I want them or not. The only thing holding me back, is that I know if I get them, I will then HAVE to have a basket to put on top. I'm worried that with a rack and basket, my MPG will suffer drastically!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice!!!! What are your thoughts on the OEM (Thule)roof racks? They seem to be the best value out there for our cars and I keep debating whether I want them or not. The only thing holding me back, is that I know if I get them, I will then HAVE to have a basket to put on top. I'm worried that with a rack and basket, my MPG will suffer drastically!
    I like them, they seem very solidly built. The price wasn't bad (I ordered from mitsubishipartsnow.com) and when running them empty I only notice a slight decrease in MPG while on the interstate (negligible on secondary roads). They were pretty easy to install, lined up perfectly with the marks on the car and clamped solidly into place, and come with the locks which my last Yakima rack did not. I also liked that my Yakima kayak carrier towers would fit the oval bars on this rack considering I used to use that with round bars. At some point I may get around to installing bike carriers on them as well but that will have to wait. My only complaint was the clear plastic film that they give you to put on the roof to prevent scratches before securing the rack. The pieces were definitely oversized, and it was difficult to get them on without getting bubbles underneath them. They don't look the best, but I have a roll of edge guard material I bought for the hood and door edges that I'll probably cut smaller pieces out of to replace the stock rack ones at some point.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RhodySpaceStar For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-14-2020),Eggman (07-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodySpaceStar View Post
    I like them, they seem very solidly built. The price wasn't bad (I ordered from mitsubishipartsnow.com) and when running them empty I only notice a slight decrease in MPG while on the interstate (negligible on secondary roads). They were pretty easy to install, lined up perfectly with the marks on the car and clamped solidly into place, and come with the locks which my last Yakima rack did not. I also liked that my Yakima kayak carrier towers would fit the oval bars on this rack considering I used to use that with round bars. At some point I may get around to installing bike carriers on them as well but that will have to wait. My only complaint was the clear plastic film that they give you to put on the roof to prevent scratches before securing the rack. The pieces were definitely oversized, and it was difficult to get them on without getting bubbles underneath them. They don't look the best, but I have a roll of edge guard material I bought for the hood and door edges that I'll probably cut smaller pieces out of to replace the stock rack ones at some point.
    Thanks for the in depth reply! Is there any way you could take a close up of the feet mounted on the car? I would just like a closer view, as I have never seen these on a Mirage in person. If it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it, you've already been super helpful with your "review".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the in depth reply! Is there any way you could take a close up of the feet mounted on the car? I would just like a closer view, as I have never seen these on a Mirage in person. If it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it, you've already been super helpful with your "review".
    Here you go, hope that helps. The thick hard rubber pads are nice, they mount solidly to the car. My old Yakima rack had a softer rubber pad that broke down in the elements and left a residue on the car and had to be replaced multiple times. These appear as if they will last much longer.Name:  Rack Closeup.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  89.7 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RhodySpaceStar For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-14-2020)