Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THINKING of buying. Go for- A manual or an automatic??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just a quick heads-up about shopping for a manual transmission Mirage...

If you are looking for a manual transmission Mirage (new or used), you may have to be patient and/or be willing to travel to get it. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but I would estimate that around 85% of Mirages ever sold in the US (since 2014) have a CVT.

Mitsubishi (for reasons I do not comprehend) limited manual transmissions to the base model Mirage only for the last couple of model years. So if you're shopping for a new Mirage right now, finding a manual transmission can be challenging (or almost impossible) in some markets. I can count on 1 hand the number of 5-speed Mirages my local Mitsubishi dealer has sold in the last 2 model years.

I had to buy my new 5-speed Mirage from a dealer 300 miles away...but it was worth the drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Hi, new here. I can't explain why I have a fascination with this tiny car. I like it because it is different and it gets amazing gas mileage. How is the CVT in regards to reliability? Should I buy a manual? Thanks for your input. -Brad
    I really like the 5-speed manual powertrain of the Mirage.

I bought a Mirage because it was affordable, reliable, & very economical. It's also a little unique, & that is part of its charm!

I find the manual to be extremely fuel efficient under all driving conditions. I don't buy into the claim that the CVT is more fuel efficient under any circumstances.

Changing the fluid on a manual involves removing two bolts/plugs (drain & fill). You drain 1.6 quarts of transmission fluid & fill it back up to the fill hole. When the fill hole starts dripping fluid, you put the fill plug back in, & you are done! You don't have to worry about dropping any pans, cleaning any screens, or replacing any filters/rubber gaskets.

I wouldn't neglect the service intervals of a Jatco CVT. If you stay on top of your maintenance, the Jatco CVT in the Mirage seems to fair better than the ones in Nissan vehicles. Jatco's CTV reputation isn't stellar.

If someone gave me a brand new Mirage CVT today, I would be trading it in for a Mirage manual tomorrow. I really like small cars with manual transmissions, however! There is nothing about the LE, SE, or GT trim levels that would trump the manual transmission of the ES for me. Overall, the base model 2020 ES is well equipped. I can't think of a single feature that I would want on the other more expensive trim levels, but I think of the Mirage as an economy car.

When someone asks - "Can I borrow your car."
    I respond - "It's a manual."
    They respond - "OK, I will ask someone else if I can borrow their car instead."
    I respond - "OK!"

I can't tell you how many times I have had that conversation in my 35+ years of driving manuals.

I own a 2017 Mirage ES manual. It turned over 37,000 miles today. I've been very happy with it. I paid less than 66% window sticker for it new. That made it affordable to me. Reliability is not a concern, & the warranty is just added insurance. I really like the 3-cylinder engines in these cars. Changing oil, filters, belts, etc. are quite easy to do, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-03-2020 at 12:39 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (08-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a CVT that I got used about 1.5 months ago and while the engine hasn't given me any issue, I would recommend getting a manual one to avoid occasional anxiety about transmission failure like I have However, keep in mind if you get a new CVT, it does come with 10 years/100,000 miles warranty on transmission which is pretty amazing. I wish I was able to afford it new.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Manual in any car will always be reliable. I bet a 2020 Mirage in manual would outlast a 2020 Corolla with its AISIN CVT. The JATCO CVT7 in the Mirage though is probably the safest application for a powertrain out there compared to Nissan Versa, Cube, Sentra, Juke, or the Chevy Spark. I cant speak for the Suzuki Swift as theyre not sold here, but they seem to hold up well in those too internationally as I havent read much to say otherwise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    CVT Mirages are reliable, manual Mirages are almost indestructible.

The continuously variable transmissions in these cars aren't hugely unreliable like so many are. But, as has been said, the manual transmission really changes the car's character. Plus, it is about $1,300 cheaper than the CVT.

The only real drawback to the manual is that it is only available in the base model ES trim now, so if you want Apple Car Play or bun-toasters you also have to get the slushbox.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I bought a 2019 Mirage new about a month ago and got a CVT model. If I were the only driver of the car, I would have gotten a manual. I would imagine you can get a little more out of the engine. But my wife also drives the car and she can't drive a manual transmission (and has no desire to learn), so CVT was the only choice for me.

While it might not have as much oomph as a manual, I've been happy with it so far over the car's first 1,000km. I've become a pretty defensive driver anyway and don't need to do any serious acceleration beyond getting up to highway speeds (120km/h max where I live, or about 75mph), which the CVT does just fine. This is especially true now since I usually have my toddler in the car with me. I am driving much differently now than I did with my previous new car, a 1997 Pontiac Trans Am!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acronychal View Post
    I bought a 2019 Mirage new about a month ago and got a CVT model. If I were the only driver of the car, I would have gotten a manual. I would imagine you can get a little more out of the engine. But my wife also drives the car and she can't drive a manual transmission (and has no desire to learn), so CVT was the only choice for me.

While it might not have as much oomph as a manual, I've been happy with it so far over the car's first 1,000km. I've become a pretty defensive driver anyway and don't need to do any serious acceleration beyond getting up to highway speeds (120km/h max where I live, or about 75mph), which the CVT does just fine. This is especially true now since I usually have my toddler in the car with me. I am driving much differently now than I did with my previous new car, a 1997 Pontiac Trans Am!
    Pontiacs were sold in Switzerland? lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    CVT Mirages are reliable, manual Mirages are almost indestructible.

The continuously variable transmissions in these cars aren't hugely unreliable like so many are. But, as has been said, the manual transmission really changes the car's character. Plus, it is about $1,300 cheaper than the CVT.

The only real drawback to the manual is that it is only available in the base model ES trim now, so if you want Apple Car Play or bun-toasters you also have to get the slushbox.
    The stop and go traffic is a drawback too manuals too but only if you live in a nightmare city like I do. Cobra, arent you glad your not in Portland right now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The stop and go traffic is a drawback too manuals too but only if you live in a nightmare city like I do. Cobra, arent you glad your not in Portland right now?
    Lol, I have always been glad I am not in Portland. Or Seattle. But I AM right in between them!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have owned both. Hands down the Manual is superior. It is a night and day difference. Shocking really.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)