Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 goals: no more netflix, no more Mirage car payments

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    You guys are hitting all around this thread with things that interest me. As for the Mercedes. If you're thinking about buying one used, I suggest to resist. As we've discussed in another thread. They're a nice looking car. And when they work they're fine. But when they need repair, your bank account is going to suffer. And it happens more than expected. If you're dying for a Mercedes, I say lease one as cheaply as you can and see if it doesn't crap out about the time your lease is ending. I've never leased, but leasing a Mercedes might be wise. Although expensive, because their value is not holding these days, and as I understand it, leasing is virtually Lease Price = Predicted Depreciation + Rent. But at least you'd get to walk away when it starting to crap out. And have warranty the whole time.

I drove my Lexus LS 460L to my dad's house last night. He's not doing so well now, and I'm traveling up to help him out every other weekend. ~140 miles each way. The LS's tires are plum worn out, and vibrate just a touch every now and then. But even with the tire wear, the ride is spectacular. Not a driver's car type of feel. But just smooth and solid. I listen to whatever tunes I'm in the mood for on the Mark Levinson sound system and it is the highlight of the car (to me). 385 hp available, and cruised at 80 mph (2,000 rpm) and averaging about 24 mpg. But I feel guilty riding in a car that nice. Every time I drive it I think, I'm wasting money driving this car. I go 1 week from now to bring home my Mighty Mirage, and make my 2nd of 2 car payments ($500 deposit to keep others mitts off my car, and paying the balance when I get there). I'm not going to feel guilty EVER, piling the miles on the Mighty Mirage.

I guess I'll sell my Lexus. I'm short on room, and it'll cut it off at the value it's at. I'll get more for it 10 years old than I'm paying for my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-17-2020),MirageRally (10-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Depreciation is your friend when you buy a mirage lol. But that's the best part, it's reliable transportation and gets great fuel economy... I've put 6k miles in 6 months! That's crazy and I don't feel guilty at all...I just drive it and love it.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I want too. Guilt free driving.

I've got a 1972 Plymouth Scamp I'm wanting to drop a bit of money into it. If it were able to pull the front tires off the ground at the dragstrip, I'd probably have spent about the right amount. And my blue Dodge Ram, my son is wanting me to spend money on it, with all the latest trendy crap. For whatever reason around here, they lift the front, and make the ass-end look squatted down. It's the stupidest look ever, I will NOT do that. But a few things might happen to the truck though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That's what I want too. Guilt free driving.

I've got a 1972 Plymouth Scamp I'm wanting to drop a bit of money into it. If it were able to pull the front tires off the ground at the dragstrip, I'd probably have spent about the right amount. And my blue Dodge Ram, my son is wanting me to spend money on it, with all the latest trendy crap. For whatever reason around here, they lift the front, and make the ass-end look squatted down. It's the stupidest look ever, I will NOT do that. But a few things might happen to the truck though.
    Sweet a plymouth scamp, sounds awesome! Haha funny with trends now a days... When I was in HS we all had the body kit trend...massive far hood scoops, huge aero wings, super wide truck tires that stuck out too far, huge lift kits, etc....ah the good old times...ha

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You guys are hitting all around this thread with things that interest me. As for the Mercedes. If you're thinking about buying one used, I suggest to resist. As we've discussed in another thread. They're a nice looking car. And when they work they're fine. But when they need repair, your bank account is going to suffer. And it happens more than expected. If you're dying for a Mercedes, I say lease one as cheaply as you can and see if it doesn't crap out about the time your lease is ending. I've never leased, but leasing a Mercedes might be wise. Although expensive, because their value is not holding these days, and as I understand it, leasing is virtually Lease Price = Predicted Depreciation + Rent. But at least you'd get to walk away when it starting to crap out. And have warranty the whole time.

I drove my Lexus LS 460L to my dad's house last night. He's not doing so well now, and I'm traveling up to help him out every other weekend. ~140 miles each way. The LS's tires are plum worn out, and vibrate just a touch every now and then. But even with the tire wear, the ride is spectacular. Not a driver's car type of feel. But just smooth and solid. I listen to whatever tunes I'm in the mood for on the Mark Levinson sound system and it is the highlight of the car (to me). 385 hp available, and cruised at 80 mph (2,000 rpm) and averaging about 24 mpg. But I feel guilty riding in a car that nice. Every time I drive it I think, I'm wasting money driving this car. I go 1 week from now to bring home my Mighty Mirage, and make my 2nd of 2 car payments ($500 deposit to keep others mitts off my car, and paying the balance when I get there). I'm not going to feel guilty EVER, piling the miles on the Mighty Mirage.

I guess I'll sell my Lexus. I'm short on room, and it'll cut it off at the value it's at. I'll get more for it 10 years old than I'm paying for my Mirage.
    Lexus and Toyota make high quality vehicles. My driver's ed car was a 1999 Toyota Corolla, and the car felt solid, and had great ease-of-use all around. I just drove my Mirage to the local yard waste spot, and was talking to my neighbour for a minute who has a newer Corolla. Probably better bet for a 1 million-mile car with a Corolla new, than an A series Mercedes new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Corolla has the cvt so be careful about longevity. The engine will last but I'm not so sure about the cvt? Only bet is to test drive one and see.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Corolla has the cvt so be careful about longevity. The engine will last but I'm not so sure about the cvt? Only bet is to test drive one and see.
    You can get the Corolla wagon with a manual, 3 pedal car, here in Canada. I'm pretty sure all the sedan Corollas are automatics however. Ya I am leery on CVTs myself. Most cars only come in automatic nowadays. Too bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Lexus and Toyota make high quality vehicles. My driver's ed car was a 1999 Toyota Corolla, and the car felt solid, and had great ease-of-use all around. I just drove my Mirage to the local yard waste spot, and was talking to my neighbour for a minute who has a newer Corolla. Probably better bet for a 1 million-mile car with a Corolla new, than an A series Mercedes new.
    I had a 2004 Corolla manual transmission from 2003 to 2019. It had nearly 300k miles on it and was driving great. The wife pulled out in front of a car and got T-boned. It still drove great and A/C worked good after the crash. But neither left side door would open. I sold it for $900 crashed. It was a GREAT vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You can get the Corolla wagon with a manual, 3 pedal car, here in Canada. I'm pretty sure all the sedan Corollas are automatics however. Ya I am leery on CVTs myself. Most cars only come in automatic nowadays. Too bad.
    Corolla wagon?? What!!! I wish I lived in Canada... So many different cars compared to the US....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yep I totally get how and why Toyota has the bulletproof reputation for quality. I also think anything that glowing can't be THAT perfect, as close to Toyota's come. I like old MR2 spyder's and Paseo's and Celica's a lot..

Edit sorry I see a red Paseo the odd time near my house.. red of course.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (10-17-2020)