Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 67741
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Well done would take me 3x as long. Should rebuild cars for people and charge for it. You'd make serious $$$
    Pretty sure that's exactly what Dodge Aries K does - he salvages and flips Chryslers. He's shared some of his work in other posts - it's pretty cool what he's found:

1991 Dodge Shadow 5 speed convertible for sale

Wanted: A cheap stick shift Mirage (or maybe an automatic)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Haha no not a car dealer. Just get bored fast with things. Plus, usually I buy broken down stuff, fix it and drive it for a while, then sell it and make a few bucks.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-21-2020 at 10:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I owned a 1969 Plymouth Valiant bought off a little old lady who needed help with small jobs. It had a slant six. Ran great until it rained and the distributor got wet. Good old Chrysler... What finally did it in was underbody rust. The front suspension used torsion bars for springs which were tied to the frame (well, subframe) at a crossmember. The crossmember rusted enough to the point where the torsion bar let loose and dropped that corner on the rubber bump stop. Nowadays that would be desirable... No one would repair it. So if you do find one, inspect that crossmember very closely.

I agree. Seems the market for classic cars is getting smaller and smaller. Fewer drivers are interested in an old car. Considering the old-timers who treasured and preserved these cars are aging out their classics will hit the market but not as many want them. Be patient and a good bargain should come your way.
    That's cool Eggman. Thanks for the tips and rust is a huge concern with these cars. The Valiant I saw at the Ford dealer the other day looked good underneath, I did get under the car. Then the Ford people parked my Mirage next to the Valiant when they were done with the servicing lol. Really good sales ploy to sell the Valiant.

I have a better idea now of the torsion bar suspension you're talking about. Used car market generally is one you need to tread carefully in. Classic used car market adds another degree of caution.

The 1963 Valiant my Dad owned in the 1980s was one of those great finds. Had almost no km's on the odometer. The Valiant still had that new car smell. My Dad knows way more about cars and motorcycles, he got the Valiant similar story as you, doing work for some older folks.

What a car that was. Black 2 door hardtop, with hot red and white vinyl interior. The car made a real impression on me. And apparently this was a Canadian-only spec'ed Valiant. All the workings is the same, still had the slant 6 engine. We were members of the Slant 6 Club of America because we still have the sticker on a filing cabinet in the basement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What's the first thing you are going to haul with it?
    That's a good question. I'm not really sure haha. Now that all the unfun stuff is finished I need to measure and decide what to do to the inside of the car to make sure it can carry grungy stuff without damaging the car body and the inside.

As for the Valiant, that goes before the time of the stuff I mess with. They look neat but I don't know anything about them. My earliest car is a 1981 Plymouth Reliant K wagon which you can see sitting in the garage next to the Mirage. Never was into the pre-K car stuff.

Name:  Air dams back on.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  84.8 KB

Got these back on today. Had to buy new bolts and nuts since most of them broke off.

Name:  Finally done hurray.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  91.0 KB

And... there we go. It's finally done! Hurray! I backed it out of the garage and parked it with the other Mirages for now until I get the materials to do the stuff for the inside and take the car for an alignment.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-23-2020),inuvik (11-22-2020),MetroMPG (11-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ordered some not necessary but nice things for the car today. The brackets for the Outlander Sport's oem radio so that it fits in the Mirage (was under $20 new from Mitsubishi) and the dash piece from some junkyard which wasn't that cheap at $35 after tax and shipping but that was better than the local yard that had a few... $40 minimum charge and last I remember the one they had left was kinda scratched up anyway and I'd have to drive an hour there to get it so whatever. So once those come in, then I can put the other head unit in and I'll be able to use bluetooth! I also have a leather steering wheel I pulled from a wrecked Mirage, I was going to use it in my nice blue one but it's slightly bent from the accident so while it's still functional the airbag is not perfectly centered between the spokes so I don't want that in my nice car but for this one... who cares! Then it'll have cruise control and steering wheel audio controls as well which will be nice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, some pictures of the not required but nice upgrades I've done for the car.

Name:  IMG_20201127_112118.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  94.7 KB
    The stock radio from my Outlander Sport on new brackets to fit the mirage dash and a bezel I ordered from a salvage yard. Plus you can see the steering wheel with the cruise switches haha. Had to replace the brake light switch and enable it with the computer but the car now has working cruise control and bluetooth which is important for me

Name:  IMG_20201125_185938.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  90.6 KB
    Autodim with homelink and dash camera installed. Something I do with all my cars, pretty much. I also ran another power socket under the front of the console so it keeps the car's plug free for other accessories I want to run.

Name:  IMG_20201127_112548.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  94.0 KB
    I'm not too happy how this came out because the stupid spray paint cans were angry and not dispensing right but... Oh well. I used the heat gun to get the bumper nice and hot and was able to push it back to the shape it's supposed to be. Then, to cover all the scratches and damage, I attempted to spray it with truck bed coating. My cans were old so they didn't work properly so there's unfortunately some runs in it but I'm going to just roll with it for now until it takes some damage again and then I'll redo it. I'd like to find a gate that isn't damaged eventually... Maybe do the bottom where it's dented with a new can of truck bed coating so it doesn't get runs in it if I don't find one for real cheap but it's not a priority.

Just need to get the car aligned and get it registered and it is ready to be driven.
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 11-30-2020 at 05:51 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-30-2020),inuvik (11-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alignment done. Drives super nice now. Rear axle is even (barely) within spec! Hurray! Reminds me, I need to get the alignment checked on my nice blue one before the warranty expires in a few days!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, what's the bottom line total investment in this one? As far as "beater truckster" type vehicles go, it's pretty darned nice!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After I pay registration, sales tax, and title transfer I should just squeak by at under $2000. If I sell the aftermarket rims that were on the car that would be great and get me some funds back.

That's also including the SE wheels that I didn't buy specifically for this in figuring the amount. Those were $250 alone.

I forgot the best part... There was a hail storm here not long ago and all the cars took a little damage. I'm still waiting on the insurance to pay me but the estimate for this thing was like $2200... So basically I'll be $200 ahead with a well sorted car that just has a few more dings than it did before which I could care less about in this case.
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 11-28-2020 at 02:14 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-28-2020),Loren (11-28-2020),MirageRally (11-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Okay, some pictures of the not required but nice upgrades I've done for the car.

Name:  IMG_20201127_112118.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  94.7 KB
    The stock radio from my Outlander Sport on new brackets to fit the mirage dash and a bezel I ordered from a salvage yard. Plus you can see the steering wheel with the cruise switches haha. Had to replace the brake light switch and enable it with the computer but the car now has working cruise control and bluetooth which is important for me
    Did you have to replace the clockspring or was it already wired for cruise and radio controls? I may look into installing a factory cruise and maybe radio control steering wheel on mine. I've got the aftermarket rostra cruise that does work fine but the buttons are mounted in a spot that I can't see the thing or the light to show it's on. I don't use it enough to remember what button does what. I'm used to having cruise buttons on the steering wheel itself, and prefer it that way.

Were you able to activate cruise with your autel scanner?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Clockspring is 100% the same at least on USDM cars. Probably the same on the Canadian ones, too. I have the aftermarket Rostra cruse in my autocross car Yaris... I hate the stupid control for it but I never drive it so I don't care. If I had to use it all the time it would piss me off.

Used an older laptop, MiniVCI, and some excellent free Russian software (I believe it's called MMCodingWriter and there's another one that goes with it I can't recall the name right now) to change the ECU settings. I'm pretty sure the Autel can retrieve and write the coding files but I don't think has the ability to edit them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-30-2020)