Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car & Driver review of '21 Mirages from yesterday

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good point - not much!

But I love my Mirage and am glad for all the features it was built with, especially the Keyless Operating System, automatic climate controls, electric cabin heater, air conditioning, cruise control, all on top of it's outstanding fuel economy. The notion of having stripped-down transportation is okay, but I have that taken care of.
    That's my point - All of those features are found on all trim levels these days, except for your push button start. Even those that don't have push button start still have power locks with remote entry.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Well Mark was saying between the 15 ES and the 21 ES. But I did forget the chrome front door handles and the chrome vents.
    Yes. The ES was the top trim in '15. It became the base trim in '17, so there were a lot of features the '15 ES had that the '17 ES didn't.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yes. The ES was the top trim in '15. It became the base trim in '17, so there were a lot of features the '15 ES had that the '17 ES didn't.
    Not talking about a 2017 Mirage. I know the trim levels & years. We are comparing a 2015 ES to a current 2021 ES. Former top level to current bottom level. What's different besides push button start & alloy wheels?

I rather have a key. Cost less than $15 to have one made/programmed, & it's way more secure than a signal being sent out. Plus I know where it is! It has a nice spot to stick it in. How convenient!
    Last edited by Mark; 01-14-2021 at 07:11 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's my point - All of those features are found on all trim levels these days, except for your push button start. Even those that don't have push button start still have power locks with remote entry.
    Of course, you state your case over & over about how you don't value the extra goodies. We very much get it. You might not exactly stand alone, but my point is there are some who like the extra features. Just another side of the same coin, that's all. No need to go on waving that flag. It's as if you feel the need to defend it. That's cool - it's your thing. I very much understand your position and will explain why next.

Let's take a look at stripped down transportation as an example of just how much everyone likes having extra added features. Take my old Jeep CJ-7 for an example. That Jeep has no anti-lock brakes and no traction control ASC system. For safety it has no airbags, no protective hard top and no hard doors - the top and doors are vinyl coated canvas if I even have them on. It has no shoulder seatbelts - only lap belts for all four seating positions (may have been the last year for lap belts?) Beyond seating there is nothing to lean on for rest & comfort. The notion of 'needing' an armrest is laughable in comparison. The seats are black vinyl that'll scorch your tushy bottomsides on a hot summer day. Cloth seat fabric just won't do! When they wore out the original low-back front seats were replaced with high-back seats from Leon Rosser - a big step up in safety right? (I forgot - neither the original low-backs or the replacement high-back seats are buckets. There is no side bolsters to help keep anyone from sliding off. No fast cornering here. Really illustrates how much of this era I take for granted without considering it’s impact until get behind the wheel and start rolling.)

This CJ-7 came with manual steering - I switched to power steering via a local junkyard find when the manual gearbox wore out. It has a four-speed standard transmission, a step up from a three-speed. The 4.2L/258 cubic inch straight-six engine still sports a Carter BBD two-barrel carburetor (the automatic choke is problematic though - sure makes me appreciate modern fuel injection.) The manual brakes are at least hydraulic haha. Speaking of which I changed the clutch linkage to hydraulic when the mechanical bellcrank linkage wore out. It came with electronic ignition but the original distributor was worn out and wobbly so it was replaced with a newer HEI aftermarket unit of GM design. And there's not a single computer to be found on it. The HEI distributor is the most electronic thing to be found on it, and it is an electromechanical device.

And I love it even more than my Mirage. It's my forever car. The Mirage, despite all my respect and adoration for it, is not. In the summer time the Jeep is my daily driver. In the end, they're both tools to get something done.

So yeah, I get nostalgia though I suspect my range of 'features' goes a little further back. And it makes me appreciate how today's cars have progressed.

Think back to all the cars you've driven that have more features than this truly Basic Transportation and how much you appreciate having them, whether they are for safety, reliability, or ease of operation. It’s a safe bet all those cars & trucks had a roof & doors haha. What are these advancements and features worth to someone? What are they worth to you? We've come a long way, right? That's all.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I rather have a key. Cost less than $15 to have one made/programmed, & it's way more secure than a signal being sent out. Plus I know where it is! It has a nice spot to stick it in. How convenient!
    The Keyless Operating System (KOS) also has a slot for the transponder - fyi. Also, let's not forget that the conventional hardware key also has a transponder. It costs a lot less, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-14-2021 at 11:59 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I have a deep appreciation for my Mirage. But I do think it would be interesting to have a ****BOX edition. Of course this is only my opinion, but the ****BOX addition would have to have cruise control. I cannot live without it. I use it every single instance I can, because I like to relax my right foot, and want the car to stay exactly the speed I prefer. Using the CC usually has me riding along all by myself while everyone else is busy trying to read the serial number on the bumper of the car in front of them. And at my set speed, I don't have to look at for the law. I just relax and enjoy my peaceful ride and the scenery, while knocking down good mpg numbers.

Some of the other ideas I have for the CHEAPBOX addition (we'll call it) would be:
    • Power windows except for the driver's manual. Have to have power windows for the ones you can't reach while driving.
    • No automatic climate control. They suck. Not just Mitsubishi's. My Lexus LS 460L's sucks too.
    • Manual A/C.
    • No radio. I can live without music, especially if it were otherwise low quality.
    • No mirror blinkers.
    • Only airbags that are required.
    • No dynamic driving safety crap.
    • Manual transmission ONLY.
    • Only the things that are required by law after that.

It would be an interesting variant. I wonder if it would be taken much. With no A/C, I would be concerned the take rate would be too low to bother manufacturing it.

As for A/C. I live in GA. I think it would be surprising to see just how very little I use the A/C. None in the winter. Speaking of fogging windows. I think if the insides of the windows are clean, and FRESH mode is used, fogging is minimal. But ... then again, my version of winter is certainly not the same as Fummins version of winter. Then when it warms up, in every car I have, I love to drop the 2 left side windows. Dropping the left rear window eliminates the loud buffeting in my left ear, and it is very pleasant. I can run with the 2 left side windows down all the way to about 85°. It is only above 85° and depending on what I'm wearing, that I bother turning on the A/C and keeping the windows up.

As for my disdain of the automatic climate control. It could be because I rarely turn on the A/C, that the performance is negatively affected. For example, when it is cold, I have to turn the auto-climate up to max temperature, because if I don't, the heat coming out of the system is reduced based on temp setting. And it takes too long to warm me up. At some point I get comfortable and start backing down the temp. But on these automatic climate controls, then it roasts me until the temperature is at minimum, or 1° above the minimum. I think it roasts me for 2 reasons. 1) I have the A/C off and likely it is designed to crank out a (cooler) temperature based on having the A/C on, because likely most people have the A/C on whether they know it or not, and 2) Even if I have the temp set on 64°, if it is cooler than that OUTSIDE the car, the climate control system assumes heat is needed on the inside. So it still blasts heat out. Just give me a manual temp dial. My 2004 Corolla was awesome. A manual temp dial, that I could rotate to where I wanted in less than 1 second, and it would hit the exact temp I liked. Versus, hitting the up or down temp buttons 400 times, and taking 15 seconds to do so. I have disdain for all automatic climate controls, even in my friggin Lexus and G35s, they blow too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-15-2021),dspace9 (01-14-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have no cruise, and it's annoying on the highway, but I do live with it.

No radio would be a deal-breaker for me. I love music on when I'm driving. Yes, you get a lot of wind noise in the Mirage, and the 4 speaker system does leave something to be desired, but it's okay!

I ordered Weathertech mats last night, I think that's my final upgrade for a while. Now I can honestly say I'm caught up with maintenance with my little Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have no cruise, and it's annoying on the highway, but I do live with it.

No radio would be a deal-breaker for me. I love music on when I'm driving. Yes, you get a lot of wind noise in the Mirage, and the 4 speaker system does leave something to be desired, but it's okay!

I ordered Weathertech mats last night, I think that's my final upgrade for a while. Now I can honestly say I'm caught up with maintenance with my little Mirage.
    I have the weathertech. They fit good, but wear thru sooner than expected. Had Hexmats in my Fit; preferred those over weathertech in material, more soft rubber than hard plastic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Of course, you state your case over & over about how you don't value the extra goodies. We very much get it. You might not exactly stand alone, but my point is there are some who like the extra features. Just another side of the same coin, that's all. No need to go on waving that flag. It's as if you feel the need to defend it. That's cool - it's your thing. I very much understand your position and will explain why next.

Let's take a look at stripped down transportation as an example of just how much everyone likes having extra added features. Take my old Jeep CJ-7 for an example. That Jeep has no anti-lock brakes and no traction control ASC system. For safety it has no airbags, no protective hard top and no hard doors - the top and doors are vinyl coated canvas if I even have them on. It has no shoulder seatbelts - only lap belts for all four seating positions (may have been the last year for lap belts?) Beyond seating there is nothing to lean on for rest & comfort. The notion of 'needing' an armrest is laughable in comparison. The seats are black vinyl that'll scorch your tushy bottomsides on a hot summer day. Cloth seat fabric just won't do! When they wore out the original low-back front seats were replaced with high-back seats from Leon Rosser - a big step up in safety right? (I forgot - neither the original low-backs or the replacement high-back seats are buckets. There is no side bolsters to help keep anyone from sliding off. No fast cornering here. Really illustrates how much of this era I take for granted without considering it’s impact until get behind the wheel and start rolling.)

This CJ-7 came with manual steering - I switched to power steering via a local junkyard find when the manual gearbox wore out. It has a four-speed standard transmission, a step up from a three-speed. The 4.2L/258 cubic inch straight-six engine still sports a Carter BBD two-barrel carburetor (the automatic choke is problematic though - sure makes me appreciate modern fuel injection.) The manual brakes are at least hydraulic haha. Speaking of which I changed the clutch linkage to hydraulic when the mechanical bellcrank linkage wore out. It came with electronic ignition but the original distributor was worn out and wobbly so it was replaced with a newer HEI aftermarket unit of GM design. And there's not a single computer to be found on it. The HEI distributor is the most electronic thing to be found on it, and it is an electromechanical device.

And I love it even more than my Mirage. It's my forever car. The Mirage, despite all my respect and adoration for it, is not. In the summer time the Jeep is my daily driver. In the end, they're both tools to get something done.

So yeah, I get nostalgia though I suspect my range of 'features' goes a little further back. And it makes me appreciate how today's cars have progressed.

Think back to all the cars you've driven that have more features than this truly Basic Transportation and how much you appreciate having them, whether they are for safety, reliability, or ease of operation. It’s a safe bet all those cars & trucks had a roof & doors haha. What are these advancements and features worth to someone? What are they worth to you? We've come a long way, right? That's all.

Best wishes.

The Keyless Operating System (KOS) also has a slot for the transponder - fyi. Also, let's not forget that the conventional hardware key also has a transponder. It costs a lot less, that's for sure.
    I don't miss carbs. They're fine when they work like they're supposed to but I'll take fuel injection even though it's more fan dangled and complicated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I have the weathertech. They fit good, but wear thru sooner than expected. Had Hexmats in my Fit; preferred those over weathertech in material, more soft rubber than hard plastic.
    I've got weathetechs in mine, they seem alright so far. I've got weathertech or husky floormats in my truck and they're doing good too except for when the drivers mat isn't positioned right and the clutch pedal gets stuck behind the mat. That's when the stupid hard plastic becomes a pita.
    We had the fancy mitsubishi rubber mats in one car and they wore out pretty quickly, but just in one spot where the drivers heal would have been.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Weather tech's wear out through after a while eh? I honestly thought I was buying indestructible car mats. They are very expensive. I only bought the front two only, driver's and passenger. The spot where my heel is is where my mat wore out. The plush Mitsubishi carpet mats my car came with in 2014. Where the clutch work happens is where it wore out. I wonder how my clutch will be with my weathertechs?

$180 Canadian with shipping.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)