Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to remove and replace belt

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey guys I got a question about a month ago the tensioner bolt snapped on the top of alternator. I got that replaced then the bracket snapped, got that replaced. both were rusted through. put back together no problems then last week we hit a bad pave job on the road and when we got back home the belt had walked off the pulleys..nothing damaged that I could see so I put belt on tightened it all up but now the alternator looks crooked? What would cause this and how do I fix it? I ordered the bottom bolt cause it’s the last part of it I haven’t replaced yet but it’s a 4 week wait...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Hey guys I got a question about a month ago the tensioner bolt snapped on the top of alternator. I got that replaced then the bracket snapped, got that replaced. both were rusted through. put back together no problems then last week we hit a bad pave job on the road and when we got back home the belt had walked off the pulleys..nothing damaged that I could see so I put belt on tightened it all up but now the alternator looks crooked? What would cause this and how do I fix it? I ordered the bottom bolt cause it’s the last part of it I haven’t replaced yet but it’s a 4 week wait...
    maybe your belt was not tight enough and it slipped and it probably slipped over a peg in the grooves. probably just have to loosen it again and slide the belt over.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    maybe you can contact a Moderator to help you out with that. they may be able to help with a solution right away

Cory - did you solve the problem? I've never heard of anyone's alternator bolts rusting through. Also: welcome to the forum.

Did your belt come right off the pulleys or just a few ribs off? If it was right off, you would have lost your water pump too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No i tried to take alternator off but was unable to get bottom bolt off to inspect it, so it sits till I get more time to look. And belt fell right off 2nd time with out wrecking anything else so I’m lucky there. But ya both top bolt and bracket were defective cause only a little metal was actually fresh on the break points rest were discoloured so been broke for long time. The only thing I can think of is the bottom bolt is warped or the washers that go with it are or are missing and it’s causing the alternator to twist. I only think that cause it’s the only bolt for alternator that hasn’t been replaced and when the first bolt broke the bottom one was loose but I couldn’t tighten it any more so figured that’s just how it was suppose to be

It’s a 2014 we have 230000km on it owned it since new

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Name:  47D82527-5D5A-402A-B919-CC472DBA415B.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  93.7 KB this is what I mean by twisted

It was a brand new belt 2 weeks ago so getting another new one too cause now this was is frayed.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The bottom bolt is not supposed to be loose.

Name:  Mirage generator-alternator.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  35.8 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    maybe one of those spacers didnt make it back on the bolt? that would account for the tilt and loose feeling bolt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Seems like something is either bent or maybe you cranked down way too hard on the tensioner...

Name:  alternator.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  74.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    No i tried to take alternator off but was unable to get bottom bolt off to inspect it, so it sits till I get more time to look. And belt fell right off 2nd time with out wrecking anything else so I’m lucky there. But ya both top bolt and bracket were defective cause only a little metal was actually fresh on the break points rest were discoloured so been broke for long time. The only thing I can think of is the bottom bolt is warped or the washers that go with it are or are missing and it’s causing the alternator to twist. I only think that cause it’s the only bolt for alternator that hasn’t been replaced and when the first bolt broke the bottom one was loose but I couldn’t tighten it any more so figured that’s just how it was suppose to be

It’s a 2014 we have 230000km on it owned it since new
    I've had a couple adjuster bolts break off. In a rush I just pried on the alternator and snugged down the nut to get the car going for the rest of the day. I also had the bracket break on one car. Didn't know til I went to change the belt. Was broke for a while. Car had over 300,00km though.

If your lower bolt is broken you could just replace it with a bolt if you had to. It's not rocket appliances. The car won't know the difference. It might be a pita getting the old bolt out if it is actually broken or seized into the alternator or the aluminum timing cover/lower alternator bracket...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-20-2021)