Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No frills Suzuki Jimny!

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What does it mean though, do you have to put a backup camera in your car where you are?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    What does it mean though, do you have to put a backup camera in your car where you are?
    No, my 2017 doesn't have one. It became mandatory in 2018. It's no different than air bags or TPMS. Older cars before a mandate don't have these items.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I like the keyless fob once in a while but it’s a pita for the most part. When ever I have the wife’s key fob in my pocket the friggin alarm goes off or the hatch opens, sometimes don’t notice it til the next morning when parked outside and it’s raining lol
    I've come outside several times to see the neighbour's minivan side door(s) open in the rain or snow because he hit the fob while inside his house.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You still need them. Making a third Mirage keys cost less than $15. That includes having a hardware store cut it and you program it yourself with the two existing keys. I could make multiple keys for several family members for very little cost. Same goes for driving instructors sharing vehicles.

I get your point, but it's not the best system for all!

How much does it cost to replace a lost key fob for your vehicles?

Your fobs are always sending a signal that someone can pick up nearby. Not the safest system in the world. I would much rather have a key. I don't find pulling it out of my pocket to be that much of a hardship. I hate stuff in my pockets when I drive, too!
    Knock on wood but I've never lost a key to any vehicle I've owned. I immediately put the spares in a certain place for all my vehicles or machines. Never had to even use the back ups.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Knock on wood but I've never lost a key to any vehicle I've owned. I immediately put the spares in a certain place for all my vehicles or machines. Never had to even use the back ups.
    I can't say that I have ever lost a factory key for one either, but I have made one for my Mirage just the same. It cost less than $15 total to do, & it takes two working keys to program a replacement one yourself. Should I lose a key, I still have two to pull that off. If I take a long trip somewhere, I take that extra key along with me now. It's nice having an extra backup.

I really like the key system on my Mirage. If I had to make multiple chipped/programmed keys for numerous instructors, it's only $15/key. Doing the same for our Ford Focus cars is $85/key, & they have to use a separate device to program the car to each new key. That's ACE Hardware prices, too. Who knows what a dealer would charge?

Push button start is not a deal breaker in buying a car, but I would prefer to not have it.

I embrace a base trim level anything. Other trim levels are those who embrace more features. There's nothing wrong with that.

Our 73 year old Farmall H (been in the family since 1948) has push button start, & you don't even need a key! Then again, there's nothing preventing someone from hopping on it & starting it either! There must have been less worry about someone stealing your tractor that back then?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I've come outside several times to see the neighbour's minivan side door(s) open in the rain or snow because he hit the fob while inside his house.
    I've watched a number of clips where thieves received the fob signal from inside your house, sent it to another transmitter, do whatever is necessary with the stolen code, & drive off with the vehicle, too!

I would rather have key with a chip in it. I really do believe simple is better in this case. I like the key/remote set up of my Mirage better than anything else I have ever owned. It's one unit. My Forester is a chipped key and separate remote lock/unlock unit attached by a key ring. GM vehicles with a flip/folding key are even nicer.

If someone was to go through that much trouble to steal a car they'd probably go after something worth stealing.\

Our sonics have the Flip key. THey are ****. Most keys don't closed anymore, so it's not a flip key anymore and they like to break off where the pivot is so that's a fun bonus lol. And on the keys that do stay closed people often don't know that you have to push a button so the key flips out.
    I swear evolution is going backwards. I saw a warning the other day that stupid people are clueless about...If you leave a garden hose full of water out in the sun when it's +30c(86F) outside the water will get scolding hot. Some retard that **** out a kid didn't know this could happen and burnt the **** out of her kid. So now they have to warn all the other clueless retards.

Stay off my lawn!
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-23-2021 at 08:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't say that I have ever lost a factory key for one either, but I have made one for my Mirage just the same. It cost less than $15 total to do, & it takes two working keys to program a replacement one yourself. Should I lose a key, I still have two to pull that off. If I take a long trip somewhere, I take that extra key along with me now. It's nice having an extra backup.

I really like the key system on my Mirage. If I had to make multiple chipped/programmed keys for numerous instructors, it's only $15/key. Doing the same for our Ford Focus cars is $85/key, & they have to use a separate device to program the car to each new key. That's ACE Hardware prices, too. Who knows what a dealer would charge?

Push button start is not a deal breaker in buying a car, but I would prefer to not have it.

I embrace a base trim level anything. Other trim levels are those who embrace more features. There's nothing wrong with that.

Our 73 year old Farmall H (been in the family since 1948) has push button start, & you don't even need a key! Then again, there's nothing preventing someone from hopping on it & starting it either! There must have been less worry about someone stealing your tractor that back then?
    If you're in the right area, no one would touch your tractor now days either. My neighborhood is like that, I've seen garages accidentally left open all night, mine included once, and no one goes in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If someone was to go through that much trouble to steal a car they'd probably go after something worth stealing.
    Sure, the clips I have seen are vehicles like a Lexus, Mercedes, or something pretty nice. Who wants to go to jail for stealing a Mirage?

The point is they are so easy to steal. I've seen where one person sits near a person in a restaurant, picks up their fob signal, sends it out to a second person who receives the signal on their device outside in the parking lot. They unlock the car, start it, and drive off with it. We are talking a minute or two. It's faster than hot wiring an old car.

Signals can intercepted, & fob keys are sending them. It's just something to be aware of. Those who love push button start probably don't care.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure, the clips I have seen are vehicles like a Lexus, Mercedes, or something pretty nice. Who wants to go to jail for stealing a Mirage?

The point is they are so easy to steal. I've seen where one person sits near a person in a restaurant, picks up their fob signal, sends it out to a second person who receives the signal on their device outside in the parking lot. They unlock the car, start it, and drive off with it. We are talking a minute or two. It's faster than hot wiring an old car.

Signals can intercepted, & fob keys are sending them. It's just something to be aware of. Those who love push button start probably don't care.
    I don't think it's as prevalent or easy as you think. If it was, car theft would be out of control. It's not.

Also I'm nearly certain that's not even possible on the newest cars with the amount of tech they have. Push button is probably now dominating keys in new vehicles. I mean my corolla has it and my mirages did too.