Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No frills Suzuki Jimny!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I don't think it's as prevalent or easy as you think. If it was, car theft would be out of control. It's not.

Also I'm nearly certain that's not even possible on the newest cars with the amount of tech they have. Push button is probably now dominating keys in new vehicles. I mean my corolla has it and my mirages did too.
    You can think what you want. Some cars are easy to steal. 60 seconds thieves are in, & the car is started. It's not a magic trick when guys demonstrate this on youtube.

"Car thefts in the U.K. have increased 50 percent over the past five years, with more than 100,000 cars stolen in England and Wales just last year. WhatCar did a deep dive on the problem and found that the main issue is our/their fancy keyless entry systems.

According to ABI (Association of British Insurers), “The fact that you’re unable to know exactly how the vehicle was stolen unless it is recovered (which happens in a minority of cases) means it is difficult to specifically attribute a numerical ‘extent’ to which keyless systems have caused the rise, but insurers and the police agree that the increase in the number of keyless vehicles on the road has played a big role, particularly because they tend to be higher-end vehicles.”

These keyless systems – granted, they are super convenient – emit a code, which is picked up by the car to allow you to enter and start the vehicle. The problem is that scanning devices used by thieves can also pick up the code even when your key is inside, which is then sent to a booster to repeat it next to the car, unlocking the doors and allowing the push-button ignition to work."

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Words cannot express how badly I'd like to own a new Jimny, especially after rending one in 2019.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You can think what you want. Some cars are easy to steal. 60 seconds thieves are in, & the car is started. It's not a magic trick when guys demonstrate this on youtube.

"Car thefts in the U.K. have increased 50 percent over the past five years, with more than 100,000 cars stolen in England and Wales just last year. WhatCar did a deep dive on the problem and found that the main issue is our/their fancy keyless entry systems.

According to ABI (Association of British Insurers), “The fact that you’re unable to know exactly how the vehicle was stolen unless it is recovered (which happens in a minority of cases) means it is difficult to specifically attribute a numerical ‘extent’ to which keyless systems have caused the rise, but insurers and the police agree that the increase in the number of keyless vehicles on the road has played a big role, particularly because they tend to be higher-end vehicles.”

These keyless systems – granted, they are super convenient – emit a code, which is picked up by the car to allow you to enter and start the vehicle. The problem is that scanning devices used by thieves can also pick up the code even when your key is inside, which is then sent to a booster to repeat it next to the car, unlocking the doors and allowing the push-button ignition to work."
    I'll stick with push button start. Fully insured so if something happens, it's covered. I could probably leave my keys in the car outside with windows open with no issues though, even though I park in the garage lol. And at work I have a hunch no one would steal a car lmao.

You can steal anything pretty quickly with a tow truck. I've only been questioned twice while towing cars over the years. I was towing away an old decommissioned bus that was still had the city decals all over it. The some transit police guy pulled me over when I had it on the deck. The other time was just about to pull away with an old 80's f150 when Audrey the giant comes rolling up and nicely asks me how much it'll cost to unload it. I got paid by the hour anyways so just dropped it for him before he turned green.

I almost towed away the wrong car from an apartment parking lot one time. Who'd a thunk there would be 2 mint green Chevy Beretta's in the same parking lot.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll stick with push button start. Fully insured so if something happens, it's covered. I could probably leave my keys in the car outside with windows open with no issues though, even though I park in the garage lol. And at work I have a hunch no one would steal a car lmao.
    One never knows? About two weeks ago (June 8th), my elderly aunt/uncle (age 86-90) had someone blow a hole through their small garage door with a saw off shotgun. My aunt/uncle had just finished having supper. This was rural Wisconsin. The guy wanted to steal their car, but the keys weren't in it. He entered their house and ransacked it. I've seen the pics, & it was trashed. My aunt/uncle thought they were done for. He hit my uncle in the head with a padlock that he threw at him. He wanted car keys and any guns they may have.

After he left with their car, he crashed it shortly after that. A couple stopped to see if he was ok. He took their vehicle at gun point. I believe he was caught when he smashed their car.

My aunt/uncle may have been better off having their keys left in the ignition. Their car is totaled, but thankfully they are ok. If someone wants to steal your car, it's probably going to happen. I just feel it's good for owner's of car fobs to know signals are being stolen by car thieves, but a sawed off shotgun pointed your face is much worst!

I have visited my aunt/uncle since this event, & I am not exaggerating the story! Thankfully, one of my cousins stopped by shortly after it happened. The criminal took their cell phones and yanked their landline from the wall. My aunt & uncle are not in the best of health. I am thankful they are still alive. My aunt/uncle have live in this rural home since selling their dairy farm well over 20 years ago.

I don't fear someone stealing my vehicles either, but this was a bit alarming to me. Police officers investigating the scene made it sound like this is not all that uncommon these days.

One never knows? About two weeks ago (June 8th), my elderly aunt/uncle (age 86-90) had someone blow a hole through their small garage door with a saw off shotgun. My aunt/uncle had just finished having supper. This was rural Wisconsin. The guy wanted to steal their car, but the keys weren't in it. He entered their house and ransacked it. I've seen the pics, & it was trashed. My aunt/uncle thought they were done for. He hit my uncle in the head with a padlock that he threw at him. He wanted car keys and any guns they may have.

After he left with their car, he crashed it shortly after that. A couple stopped to see if he was ok. He took their vehicle at gun point. I believe he was caught when he smashed their car.

My aunt/uncle may have been better off having their keys left in the ignition. Their car is totaled, but thankfully they are ok. If someone wants to steal your car, it's probably going to happen. I just feel it's good for owner's of car fobs to know signals are being stolen by car thieves, but a sawed off shotgun pointed your face is much worst!

I have visited my aunt/uncle since this event, & I am not exaggerating the story! Thankfully, one of my cousins stopped by shortly after it happened. The criminal took their cell phones and yanked their landline from the wall. My aunt & uncle are not in the best of health. I am thankful they are still alive. My aunt/uncle have live in this rural home since selling their dairy farm well over 20 years ago.

I don't fear someone stealing my vehicles either, but this was a bit alarming to me. Police officers investigating the scene made it sound like this is not all that uncommon these days.
    HOLY ****. That's terrible. It'd sure be nice to find them, take them out to the bush where mr and/or Mrs grizzly bear like to roam. Then lop off a few limbs so they can't get away. I'd sleep like a baby knowing they're not gonna do that again!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Back on topic - I don't begrudge anyone who likes certain features on any car. That's the purpose of trim levels. I just miss very basic base level trims, & when standard transmission meant it was a manual. I think A/C & cruise are nice extras. Anything else I could care less about. I don't even care about a radio in a car any more.

Suzuki caters to people who want affordable vehicles, & I like that about them, too.

The only new vehicle that sparks any interest in me in recent years (outside of my Mirage) has been the new Ford Bronco, & that interest is driven by a 7-speed (low creeper gear is one of those) manual being offered. Even as a base model, however, it still $30,000. For that price, I will keep my ten year old Forester. Heck, my Forester is still under the average vehicle age of 12 years on U.S. roads. I wish a non-turbo manual Bronco was an option, too.

If they were here, a base level Jimmy would be my next vehicle purchase some day. I may have to settle for a Ford Bronco instead. I hope some little old lady is buying a base level Bronco with a manual transmission this year. Then I can buy it from her 10 years from now! What are the odds of that happening?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You can steal anything pretty quickly with a tow truck. I've only been questioned twice while towing cars over the years. I was towing away an old decommissioned bus that was still had the city decals all over it. The some transit police guy pulled me over when I had it on the deck. The other time was just about to pull away with an old 80's f150 when Audrey the giant comes rolling up and nicely asks me how much it'll cost to unload it. I got paid by the hour anyways so just dropped it for him before he turned green.

I almost towed away the wrong car from an apartment parking lot one time. Who'd a thunk there would be 2 mint green Chevy Beretta's in the same parking lot.....
    Is Audrey the giant Andre's wife? Lmao

And the hulk turned green.

Otherwise, carry on! Ha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

That's insane. I'm sure you could find that one in a news story online.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's insane. I'm sure you could find that one in a news story online.
    The guy was in his 30's and was from the Rockford, Illinois area. My aunt suspected he was having family problems. After totally trashing their home, he hugged my aunt & apologized. Then he drove off with their car! My uncle thought he was done for. He thought his heart was going to give out. My dad will be 81 next week, and I know my aunt is 6 years older than him. My uncle is couple years older than her. This would not be fun for anyone at any age, however. I'm still a bit shocked this happened to them.

They have lived in that rural area (outside of a town of 3,200) since getting married over 65 years ago.