Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any interest in an electric power steering controller (EPSC)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ever since I took ownership the electric power system has peaked my interest. Glad you brought this up, Doax, its made me read up on the subject.

Personally, I agree with CANI LUPIS (spell?) and full deletion is the best option. But who's guinea pigging that idea? Doesn't sound terribly difficult. Remove some junk install a shaft that couples too the existing joint. But again.. who's the pig

Looking at your original idea, it sounds reasonable.

I screenshotted some important blurbs from the manual, (thanks againn!) And truthfully I think instead of fooling 4-pin sensors, your best offer either intentionally putting the system into "heat reduction" mode (has too be a way too trigger this) or simply running a resistor in series too the motoor too reduce the voltage it will see, slowing the motor.

Myy initial thought was a voltage divider circuit... but it needs too reverse... you would simply crash or break something fighting the wheel when you turn right and it goes left lol.

Maybe best bet is first seeing if we can figure out a way too trip the high heat mode? This would increase mpg (negligible) and steering feel.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 06-09-2016 at 01:27 AM. Reason: series... not parallel

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    There are torque sensors in the steering column that give feedback to the EPS ECU. The plan was to fool the sensors into reading less torque input than is actually there to reduce the amount of assist it puts out.
    If anyone is thinking of actually doing this, heres a great article on why you shouldn't do it https://blog.comma.ai/safer-control-...al-hw-required if you screw up and the car thinks you are applying a large amount of torque to the wheel it will uncontrollably spin the wheel and you will roll over. Another unsafe option would be to trick the steering rack into thinking the car is going faster as you normally get less assistance the faster you go.

For anyone interested heres a relevant forum post: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...t-help-request

I am only here because I'm mildly interested in the possibility of steering the car though the obd port but i don't think anyones ever looked into it on this forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    If anyone is thinking of actually doing this, heres a great article on why you shouldn't do it https://blog.comma.ai/safer-control-...al-hw-required if you screw up and the car thinks you are applying a large amount of torque to the wheel it will uncontrollably spin the wheel and you will roll over. Another unsafe option would be to trick the steering rack into thinking the car is going faster as you normally get less assistance the faster you go.

For anyone interested heres a relevant forum post: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...t-help-request

I am only here because I'm mildly interested in the possibility of steering the car though the obd port but i don't think anyones ever looked into it on this forum.
    Thanks for posting that article - it’s a interesting read.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You certainly have to be careful when modifying systems. Understanding how they work is the first step.

However, I've found very little problem with this on the Mirage. When the system finds any 'abnormal' amount of torque or sensor readings it simply shuts off the power assist and turns on the EPS light on the dash. So, its fortunately and unfortunately pretty smart about how it does things. I haven't ever experienced any crazy amounts of assist that would lead to a roll over situation. However, I will admit I'm not an expert in it and that is certainly a possibility.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-23-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l would be interested to see if it could be done. But have there been any failures with the EPS to warrant the removal of it? If it ain't broke don't fix it unless it proves to be a reliability issue?
    The only issue of our EPS ive seen so far is the unusual sound created by the internal bearing on the steering column but with regards on electronics issue nothing so far, im also interested with this parts for the purpose that it can work independently just supply it with 12V im thinking of installing it on a home made buggy someday.