Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the New Ford Maverick and on what your next vehicle will be

I think comparing the reliability of a Ford to Toyota might be a bit of a stretch. But what do I know. I've never owned a Toyota lol

Ford is 10 years behind Toyota as far as selling hybrids.(according to the googles)

I just looked up the epa numbers for the ecoboost maverick and they're much worse than Fords 40mpg hybrid target.

"So what is the government rating for the Maverick EcoBoost? According to the EPA, it's 23 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the front-wheel drive version. Combined mileage for the two-wheel drive Maverick EcoBoost is 26 MPG per the agency. As for the all-wheel drive, it's 22 MPG city, 29 MPG highway, and 25 MPG combined." I forgot how to do quote stuff.

Stole that from here https://www.motor1.com/news/534057/f...-fuel-economy/

I'd definately consider a Maverick if I were shopping for a new car around $30k(cad). 40mpg and be able to haul the odd large item around without having to drag a trailer around. Why not?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I would like to throw this out there ... primarily to Mitsubishi if they were to read this thread. If Mitsubishi wants to compete with Ford in the Maverick segment ... MAKE A MIRAGE PICKUP TRUCK. I don't know if it would be wise to call it a Mirage P/U, or what. But what I mean is make it as SIMPLE as a Mirage, has the same structure from front bumper to the back of the back seats (of the hatch), but cut it off there with a cab rear bulkhead and put a bed on the back. Bed size about the same as the Maverick.

Of course the rear suspension would have to be reworked to carry a load, and tow a small trailer.
    Sounds like you are describing the Mitsubishi Outlander.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Spadesheart - I am in agreement with that statement. But that's going to be difficult. I won't say the Maverick is overly complicated. It may or may not be. In the grand scheme of things I'd have to guess it is a lot less complicated that many other vehicles out there. But compared to the Mirage, I'm going to guess it will be far more complex.

I've said it in another thread, but I think Ford may sell a brazillion Mavericks. That is if they can get enough friggin chips to crank out a brazillion Mavericks. I do like it.

For myself, for my next car. That's not clear, as I have a variety of cars as it is. The only thing I could possibly see out on the horizon is to sell my Lexus LS 460L and replace it with a Lexus LC 500. But that's not worth discussing, too far out there, not even sure I'd do it as my Lexus is such a cream puff.

I would like to throw this out there ... primarily to Mitsubishi if they were to read this thread. If Mitsubishi wants to compete with Ford in the Maverick segment ... MAKE A MIRAGE PICKUP TRUCK. I don't know if it would be wise to call it a Mirage P/U, or what. But what I mean is make it as SIMPLE as a Mirage, has the same structure from front bumper to the back of the back seats (of the hatch), but cut it off there with a cab rear bulkhead and put a bed on the back. Bed size about the same as the Maverick.

Of course the rear suspension would have to be reworked to carry a load, and tow a small trailer. But as far as I'm concerned, keep the 3-Tapper, make a 6 speed manual version with a short first gear and slightly taller 6th gear than our current 5th gear and ... YOU HAVE A WEINER!

It doesn't have to tow a 40' camper. Just about the same as a Maverick or even a bit less. That would be one USEFUL, simple and inexpensive vehicle.
    If Mitsu could use Nissan to work around the chicken tax and build the Triton here it would sell. Its a good looking, cheap truck that's pretty reliable. Its alot better than the old Dodge Dakota rebadge Mitsubishi Raider IMO.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    My fun car would probably be a Nissan Figaro, but that would most certainly be a project.

The next 2-300000 km of my life is unclear as function over form often isn't incentivized. I want utility and I want the cost to run it to be low. The maverick has come the closest I think. The more research I do, the neater it seems. It looks like they made the bed for tinkering. There are power connectors and they are encouraging a lot of DIY stuff. They also have these clips inside the car where they've released CAD files for stuff like cupholders so people could 3D print their own, or design their own stuff. It really could be an ultimate camping mobile.
    It's kinda ironic you would mention Nissan Figaro's, I saw one in real life in July.

But I live in Canada. I think the Nissan Figaros are Japan only cars and never were anything but right hand drive. So when I saw one and my passenger was like "what is that car?" I couldn't believe it. I have only seen Nissan Figaro's in books and in Gran Turismo video games over the years. I've seen some other rare cars in real life the past few years. That McLaren, that Porsche 356 beside Pyramid Mountain in Alberta in 2019 when I was driving my fuel-sipping, but huge Santa Fe rental.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    They start at US$20k...but the one I want is US$37k. Not too bad for a brand new loaded-up AWD trucklet.

But another $5k gets me the Ranger I'd want.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Two cars i'm anxiously awaiting production (and then certification) to show up in Canada are the Aptera and the Microlino.

It's not a secret I don't put a lot of km's on my car, so a small city car like the Microlino would meet my needs just fine, father has a smart car and it's perfect for the city.

The Aptera is a cool idea because of just how efficient it is and that if you park it out side it's supposed to be able to charge itself up from the sun 50-60 km per day going by the solar calculator online, so kind of eliminates the problem of charging an EV when you don't have a garage to plug it into.

I'm glad Ford has seen the light on making a small truck again, a lot of F-150s where I live have never ever seen a tow kit or a bale of hay in their entire lives and people drive them as commuters and for errands? I'm gunning for my brother to get a Maverick for his house out in the country, would be perfect for his needs, and not super expensive either! Heck even i'd consider the Maverick, especially if I had a house and had to move the occasional large bulky item.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    Two cars i'm anxiously awaiting production (and then certification) to show up in Canada are the Aptera and the Microlino.

It's not a secret I don't put a lot of km's on my car, so a small city car like the Microlino would meet my needs just fine, father has a smart car and it's perfect for the city.

The Aptera is a cool idea because of just how efficient it is and that if you park it out side it's supposed to be able to charge itself up from the sun 50-60 km per day going by the solar calculator online, so kind of eliminates the problem of charging an EV when you don't have a garage to plug it into.
    There's days I miss my smart fortwo.
    That Microlino looks like a BMW Isetta ! Sweet !
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sounds like you are describing the Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Eggman, the Outlander is an SUV. With a big huge honkin' gas guzzling 4-Banger. Not at all like a Mirage pick-up.

Maybe I wasn't clear, my bad. Take a Mirage hatch, 3-Tapper and all. Cut the body short at the back side of the front or rear seats. Put a pickup truck bulkhead there, then add an actual pickup truck bed back there.

I would also keep the bed as low to the ground as the floor of the hatch body. My truck's bed is RIDICULOUSLY high off the ground ... and it is STOCK. All the OEMs have done since 2000 is make them BIGGER and higher off the ground. It's only good for thumping your chest and acting like the toughest kid on the block. It's not user friendly.

Pardon my bad sketch work, but below is a quick and dirty sketch. Yeah, the wheelbase is too long for the 4D ... but this is just a quick n dirty. And I've got the bed floor too high, the bike and "tailgate" should be sitting lower. But I'm not going to go back and change it now. You catch my drift with the sketches. A true MIRAGE pickup truck.

Name:  Mirage P-U 2D.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Mirage P-U 4D.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  83.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Eggman, the Outlander is an SUV. With a big huge honkin' gas guzzling 4-Banger. Not at all like a Mirage pick-up.

Maybe I wasn't clear, my bad. Take a Mirage hatch, 3-Tapper and all. Cut the body short at the back side of the front or rear seats. Put a pickup truck bulkhead there, then add an actual pickup truck bed back there.

I would also keep the bed as low to the ground as the floor of the hatch body. My truck's bed is RIDICULOUSLY high off the ground ... and it is STOCK. All the OEMs have done since 2000 is make them BIGGER and higher off the ground. It's only good for thumping your chest and acting like the toughest kid on the block. It's not user friendly.

Pardon my bad sketch work, but below is a quick and dirty sketch. Yeah, the wheelbase is too long for the 4D ... but this is just a quick n dirty. And I've got the bed floor too high, the bike and "tailgate" should be sitting lower. But I'm not going to go back and change it now. You catch my drift with the sketches. A true MIRAGE pickup truck.

Name:  Mirage P-U 2D.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Mirage P-U 4D.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  83.5 KB
    Speck is blue! If you have a cutting torch, maybe Eggman could drive down to Atlanta & you could show him/us what it would really look like!

Use the rear seat as a removable option in the first example to avoid the chicken tax, too!
    Last edited by Mark; 09-26-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think comparing the reliability of a Ford to Toyota might be a bit of a stretch. But what do I know. I've never owned a Toyota lol

Ford is 10 years behind Toyota as far as selling hybrids.(according to the googles)

I just looked up the epa numbers for the ecoboost maverick and they're much worse than Fords 40mpg hybrid target.

"So what is the government rating for the Maverick EcoBoost? According to the EPA, it's 23 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the front-wheel drive version. Combined mileage for the two-wheel drive Maverick EcoBoost is 26 MPG per the agency. As for the all-wheel drive, it's 22 MPG city, 29 MPG highway, and 25 MPG combined." I forgot how to do quote stuff.

Stole that from here https://www.motor1.com/news/534057/f...-fuel-economy/

I'd definately consider a Maverick if I were shopping for a new car around $30k(cad). 40mpg and be able to haul the odd large item around without having to drag a trailer around. Why not?
    Normally I would agree, but Ford does generally have a more robust drivetrain on their trucks, which i am somewhat banking on them continuing in this offering. Add to this that an electric motor is mechanically very simple, and its being made in house by a large company with proven manufacturing expertise (looking at you Tesla), and the style of motor is known to offer longevity. I am willing to bet that this thing could be viable for many hundreds of thousands of kilometres, and im looking forward to watching other people test that haha.

Why anyone would buy anything but the hybrid version is beyond me. As soon as it goes to a conventional engine, you have so many more options that would probably do a better job at the price point. Its front wheel so it doesnt even have the problem that big trucks have that necessitate having all wheel drive, which is rear wheel drive in an unweighted truck is inherently dangerous to drive in inclement weafher. The hybrid is what sells this thing for me.

I was looking at fixer upper properties far away for maybe a change. Who knows, a truck may be in my future sooner rather than later.