Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Experiencing "Road Rage" in our beloved, petite Mirages

Get off my lawn.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You shoulda thrown your beer bottle at them.
    It wasn't empty yet!!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No, I don't think I have received any extra road rage as a result of being in my little car. I seem more likely to be cut off though compared to my truck. There are always going to be massive D-bags out there.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Legit question/comment since you brought up lights here:

These days I'm trying to figure out if my eyes are just turning to **** as I get older, or if people's headlights are just super bright now and chronically misaligned. I feel like every time I go driving after dark I'm pretty consistently being blinded by people driving behind me.

I don't remember this ever being a thing when I was driving previously - but I guess the last time I was doing that regularly was about 10 years ago, which was before LED's really took off, but also when I was in my late teens early 20's and my young bod was more resilient to external nonsense (also used to be able to smoke like a chimney without much issue, nowadays a couple of sticks at night knocks me on my ass for days). I was also driving a much lower/sportier car back then. Stock the Mirage actually rides rather high. You would think that would make it less prone to causing me blind-o-vision.
    The LED headlights are seriously bright, at least most of them. I appreciate the difference in how far ahead one can see, which is great. But I do think for oncoming traffic they are too bright. One of my friends had a subaru crosstrek with LED headlights. We were out for a drive one night, and he pulled over into a parking lot to change the music or something, I forget what. His lights were pointing into towards the lane for oncoming traffic. Even though he did not have his brights on (I was sure to check) he got flashed 2 or 3 times in the few minutes we were parked there lol.

I don't know if there is a limit set? e.g. max lumens for regular car headlights? I might give that a google.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got into a honking and shouting match last week because I was stopped at a red (a combo red and green right arrow) and wouldn't go even though I was trying to make a left NJ has some real a-holes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Here in the UK I used to drive a lot in the late 90s and reckoned I would witness some kind of traffic offence every 100 miles or so. Now its down to 10 miles. Being older and wiser my strategy is to let those aggressive characters hit their brakes and accelerators as hard as they want. I'll keep my distance, and maintain a lower blood pressure. Typical aggressive actions are a) Filling the gap in front of me because they can, b) Jumping traffic lights, c) Excessive speeding, d) Not using indicators, e) Driving whilst using their phone. Its not so much vehicle size but more a sign of the times.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I got into a honking and shouting match last week because I was stopped at a red (a combo red and green right arrow) and wouldn't go even though I was trying to make a left NJ has some real a-holes.
    When things escalate into aggressive shouting matches, random people = unpredictable. So I pretend I don't notice anyone, except when I need to of course, and people always notice when you stare them down. So I use this technique in driving and it's very effective and simple. No tools required. Lots of doofuses on the road, not paying attention, to the detriment of everyone, including themselves.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I had to dredge this thread up, because I'm still slightly fuming. This past Saturday (12/4) was probably the worst "drive" I have ever taken in my life. At least based on incidents per 100 miles. If you looked at it like incident density.

I had to cross the hellscape wasteland of Atlanta, from south to north, and then back. I drove right past Dirk's house. I honked both times but the Mirage horn is so weenie, I'm sure he didn't hear.

100% of the incidents were with women. I would say there was probably 6 incidents with black women and 2 with white women. But not because black women are worse, and not because they were black. It just seemed like there were more black women out where I was than white women. If you run through an field of flamingos, you're much more likely to run into a flamingo versus an ostrich, kind of thing.

I'd have to say that the root cause of the issues were 2 basic things: 1) I did not accelerate drag-strip style enough to suit said other drivers, and 2) the Mirage is so small, other driver's feel much more compelled to strong-arm me. If I had been in my big ole Ram, I would have likely had fewer incidents. Which relates to the original intent of this thread. I think I'm going to pull my dash cam out and count the incidents.

It was just ridiculous. I am NOT a road-rager. Mostly because I drive very boring, slow, and just sort of stay back out of the way and let the drag racers, and tailgaiters fly on by. I go too slow for most to bother tailgaiting me. But I swear I was about 1 or 2 incidents away from losing my mind and jumping out of the Blueberry and beating the crap out of the next person to pull some you know what.

And even though the incident density was high, the traffic around Atlanta was amazingly great. No jams, good flow everywhere. Lots of super high speed fly-bys on I-285. Which mostly doesn't bother me at all. I'll be honest, I observe the drivers as they warp by. It is nearly all black people. But you know what, it doesn't bother me at all because most of them seem very coordinated, and able to handle what it is they're doing. Is it safe? Well not as much as if we were all doing the same speed. But it is their business, and it seems they can handle it. So, that's not what bothers me.

What bothers me is entitled / ignorant b.s. At one point I'm stopped in a shopping center intersection with a line of traffic on my left that I intended to follow out of the parking lot. They were held up by a traffic light. And inside the center of this intersection, there are HUGE WHITE PAINTED stripes on the pavement, with painted words that say clearly "DO NOT BLOCK." I'm the next in line, even though I'm not in line per say, because there were no other cars (at that time) waiting on the line to move, noone else is in this intersection except the line of traffic from the traffic light left of me in this intersection. Then a crusty white lady drove right onto the stripes in front me me and stopped behind the line of traffic totally blocking up this intersection. At this point, I had HAD IT with all the other antics of the drivers before this. And I start yelling at her, and pointing down at the pavement. She knows EXACTLY what I mean, and she waves her hands around like she couldn't help it. Bull! I yelled at her some more. I feel good about it today! :-D She deserved it. She also sucked at driving and caused me and those behind us to jam brakes at the intersection immediately outside the shopping center when the light turned green because she was too timid to procede smoothly through when it was her turn.

I could rant all day, but what an awful ride. However, like I said, the interstate flow was good, and the Blueberry performed flawlessly, excellent mpg and very smooth.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    100% of the incidents were with women. I would say there was probably 6 incidents with black women and 2 with white women. But not because black women are worse, and not because they were black. It just seemed like there were more black women out where I was than white women. If you run through an field of flamingos, you're much more likely to run into a flamingo versus an ostrich, kind of thing.

I could rant all day, but what an awful ride. However, like I said, the interstate flow was good, and the Blueberry performed flawlessly, excellent mpg and very smooth.

I believe venting is therapeutic! This thread is much cheaper than seeing a shrink, too!

On a positive note - If only 6 drivers where bad on your trip, the percentage of good ones around you must have been quite high. It's easy to focus on the bad ones, & we all do it!

I've said this before, I am amazed how rude some drivers are to my student driver car that has large "student driver" signs plastered all over it. It's eye-opening to the students, too!

Driving my Mirage through a large city area is my least favorite (Milwaukee, Chicago mostly). Some call it a "city car", but I think it excels as a rural, country road car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some call it a "city car", but I think it excels as a rural, country road car.
    I agree with that. I think it is a good interstate car too. With the exception that it doesn't track as straight and smooth as a heavier car with a longer wheelbase.

But as far as the idiots. Oh, there were a tremendous amount more out there, even in my vicinity. Tremendous. The difference is, we managed to work our way past / around each other without any incident.

I do see good drivers too. The other day I saw a dude in a big pickup. It was a Chevy Silverado lifted (2500 I think it was), all the usual worthless "offroad" type bells and whistles that deteriorate the street driving capability, when street driving is likely 100% of what it does. But nevertheless, the guy was driving it in a manner in which he felt that it's better to use as little fuel as is possible, and that it was big enough to hurt someone so he was driving it very carefully. More power to him! And there's lots of little things that indicate a driver's quality.

Say I'm coming to a red traffic light on a 2 lane road (just one lane each direction). I tend to move a bit to my left in case a right turner comes up behind me. If I'm biased to the left, a right turner can slip past my right side and go ahead and make their right turn (on red) and not have to wait for the light to turn green. 85%+ of other drivers are thinking about their outfit, or their text messages and never think of such things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)