Country
    Canada
    Thanks

A/C without A/C switch?

2 questions.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.41.38 PM.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  116.4 KB
    1. based on the bottom right paragraph from the FSM can the AC compressor turn on while the ac switch is off?

2. How does the car detect that the temperature Slider is in the "max A/C" position?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I had to guess, even the manual heat and air knobs are still just electric potentiometers. Its just a position instead of a number.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Bump because I’m very curious along with the eco modders if AC can turn in without the switch being illuminated. That would make daox shorter serpentine belt mod make a much bigger impact on performance than we may have thought

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    1. based on the bottom right paragraph from the FSM can the AC compressor turn on while the ac switch is off?
    Sort of a loaded question, but I will answer it the best I can. I believe from what you posted you have the manual A/C system. To answer your question, I believe the answer to be YES. For example, if you start in the NO A/C and vent position in FACE mode, then rotate the mode selection knob to the defrost position, the A/C compressor will be activated. I don't know if the A/C light turns on even if you don't push the button. I think the light stays off though. But in any event, even though you didn't push the A/C button, the compressor is automatically activated just by turning the knob to the defrost position.

2. How does the car detect that the temperature Slider is in the "max A/C" position?
    I would imagine there are electrical contacts behind the dials that convey a signal (or lack thereof).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I'll try next time I hop in a Mirage at work with the manual temp controls and ac. I'm pretty sure if the ac light is off then the compressor won't engage period.

My car has the fancy push button controls and when I set it to defrost the ac light(snowflake) comes on automagically but I can turn off the flake. So far it's all guesses and theory, I'll try it in my car over the weekend if I remember.

I'm pretty sure there's no switches behind the dial controls but I was wrong once.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-14-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll try next time I hop in a Mirage at work with the manual temp controls and ac. I'm pretty sure if the ac light is off then the compressor won't engage period.
    Any updates Mister. Fummins?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Sort of a loaded question, but I will answer it the best I can. I believe from what you posted you have the manual A/C system. To answer your question, I believe the answer to be YES. For example, if you start in the NO A/C and vent position in FACE mode, then rotate the mode selection knob to the defrost position, the A/C compressor will be activated. I don't know if the A/C light turns on even if you don't push the button. I think the light stays off though. But in any event, even though you didn't push the A/C button, the compressor is automatically activated just by turning the knob to the defrost position.

I would imagine there are electrical contacts behind the dials that convey a signal (or lack thereof).
    I believe mohammad has an older base level Mirage, & an older base level Mirage in Canada did not come with A/C.

When auto climate controls became standard for all Mirages in Canada (don't remember the year), A/C became standard for all Mirages there, too. You really can't have auto climate controls without A/C.

In the States -

All 2014-22 Mirages have A/C, & auto climate controls was standards for all 2014-15 Mirage trim levels. Auto climate controls also became standard for all Mirage trim levels in 2020.

Only the 2017-19 Mirage ES or LE trim levels would have manual controls with A/C in the States.

I have a 2017 ES. Pushing in the snow flake A/C button (causing a little light on the button itself to go on) is the only way to activate/turn on the A/C with manual controls. Temperature knob does not & can not turn on the A/C feature.

Not sure I understand the question exactly? I claim stupidity if I haven't answered it!
    Last edited by Mark; 01-21-2022 at 07:45 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a 2017 ES. Pushing in the snow flake A/C button (causing a little light on the button itself to go on) is the only way to activate/turn on the A/C with manual controls. Temperature knob does not & can not turn on the A/C feature.
    You are correct i do not have A/C But that is not relevant to my question..

My question was that the screenshot i shared from the Factory Service manual says that A/C on manual A/C cars such as your can come on while the A/C snowflake button is off. I was wondering if this is true? if anyone has tested this?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    You are correct i do not have A/C But that is not relevant to my question..

My question was that the screenshot i shared from the Factory Service manual says that A/C on manual A/C cars such as your can come on while the A/C snowflake button is off. I was wondering if this is true? if anyone has tested this?
    I answered your question.

A/C only operates when the A/C snow flake button is pushed in.

There is nothing you can do to make A/C come on any other way! That is why I love manual climate controls and absolutely hate auto ones!!!!!

You are looking at this somewhat backwards.

Manual A/C means - when that A/C button is push in manually the A/C is on! It doesn't matter what vent mode you switch on. The A/C will remain on regardless, and that is what that paragraph is referring to I believe.

If you want your A/C off, you have to manually push the A/C button off!

My 2015 Chevy Impala (driving school car) has manual climate controls, too. Unless you push the A/C button in itself, the A/C in the car will remain off regardless of where any other dials are turned. The Mirage is no different.

The Mirage, however, offers superior manual control over the Impala. If I have the A/C button pushed in on the Impala and I turn the temperature dial to maximum cold, the recirculated air automatically comes on. You can't by pass it either. If I go two clicks from maximum cold, it will go back to fresh air automatically.

With my Mirage, I have total control over that, too. Fresh & recirculated air are controlled by a lever. Nothing is automatic, & I prefer that! I dislike most things in life that are automatic. I think that makes me a "control freak" maybe?
    Last edited by Mark; 01-21-2022 at 03:09 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2022)

Any updates Mister. Fummins?
    I forgot about this. I just checked my own car though(auto temp controls) Compressor only comes on when the snow flake is lit up. Snowflake does turn on automatically when I hit defrost so I have to manually turn it off.
    I’ll try to check a manual temp control car if I remember.

And now I see mark already answered.

I’ll dig out some temp controls and post a pic. I’m pretty sure the dials are just manual dials with no micro switch or potentiometer as suggested at one time.

I seemTo have total Control over my temp controls. I push a button and it does what I push. Fresh air and recerculation seem to work on all vent settings but do default to fresh and ac on when you hit the defrost button.

Last edited by Fummins; 01-21-2022 at 12:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)