Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Silver ES

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Cobra you think these would work on my steelies?

https://www.amazon.com/White-Knight-...44789634&psc=1
    Yes, but they would stick out quite a ways. The Dorman ones are chromed.

Keep in mind your tire iron is probably a 21mm(unless they changed in late models). Those nuts have a 3/4"(19mm) head. So get a flat and you're screwed unless you carry a spare tire iron or breaker bar and socket. I got some free painted nuts that fit my car so that's what I did until I hit the drunkyard and find some fancy chrome ones that are 21mm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

I've been doing well. Thanks for asking Dirk! It has been cold lately, but I don't mind. I would just skip to April if I could, however.

I haven't looked at lug nuts options for some time now, and I don't remember these more affordable White Knight lug nuts being available before? I may have overlooked them, but even Auto Zone carries them now.

To give an ideal how affordable they are - a factory open style Dorman lug nut at Auto Zone is $3.19 each. Take that times 16, & you are looking at $51 for plain factory like lug nuts. That just makes Auto Zone look stupid!

A set of McGard chrome lug nuts were always $10-20 for four. Thus, you were looking at $40-80 for a complete set of lug nuts. For that price, I said forget it. I'm cheap!

What you shared is very affordable, & that price includes 4 extra (20)!

My only advice to anyone considering this. If you have the option of 3/4" or 13/16" lug nuts (talking about what tire wrench size they use), factory lug nuts are 13/16". The 3/4" lug nuts will work exactly the same, but you will need a 3/4" socket to take them off. My point - your factory tire wrench that comes with your car jack will not help you if you have a flat tire on the road. I have extra 3/4" sockets and this would be a non-issue for me. Just something to be aware of. If the 13/16" lug nuts are available for the same price, you may want to pick those.

This is coming from someone who switches out 16 wheels both spring & late fall on my Mirage & Forester. I tend to take note of things like that.

Edit: I just noticed Fummins said the same, except I used our backward SAE units. Great minds think alike!

Where we have a lot of salt on the road, rust would be my concern. Some of the reviews harp on that, too. I may stick with cheap looking plastic wheel covers.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-11-2022 at 09:46 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-12-2022),inuvik (01-11-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Keep in mind your tire iron is probably a 21mm(unless they changed in late models). Those nuts have a 3/4"(19mm) head. So get a flat and you're screwed unless you carry a spare tire iron or breaker bar and socket. I got some free painted nuts that fit my car so that's what I did until I hit the drunkyard and find some fancy chrome ones that are 21mm.
    Once again Fummy, you magnificent b#stard, saving me $. I'm looking for19mm tire irons then online. Get a cheap one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once again Fummy, you magnificent b#stard, saving me $. I'm looking for19mm tire irons then online. Get a cheap one.
    Just get a cheap Harbor Freight Breaker bar and socket and keep it in your car. It will fit right in next to the spare under the mat. Thats what I do. Way better than a 4 way imo.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-12-2022),inuvik (01-11-2022)

Welcome!

Belated welcome, Little Magician!

Glad you're still enjoying your new Mirage.

Is home delivery of cars becoming the norm now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Is home delivery of cars becoming the norm now?
    If I pay full sticker for a Mirage, they'd better deliver it to my driveway and load up the hatch with free groceries...and maybe throw in a few complimentary COVID test kits.

Silver looks good with tinted windows and wheels. Just sayin'...

Name:  solver_es.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  56.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (02-11-2022),Little Magician (01-12-2022)

Or just buy the proper sized nuts like mark mentioned. That's what I'd do. I only went the carry tools route because I had extras and the nuts were free. Go to a pick a part or junk yard and get one there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-12-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I've always like silver cars. Especially silver coupes. They look like racecars. But yes, silver cars with tinted windows. That one pictured above does look good with those wheels.

When I paint my steel wheels black, I'm going to get those big cone type lug nuts like the big dawg truckers run, that poke out sharply like 4 inches. Yeah, like these below. Then I'll finally get to be a badass, instead of just a dumbass.

Name:  Trucker Lugs.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  99.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Then just figure out how to incorporate exhaust stacks on a Mirage and you'll have the complete package!

Name:  stacks.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  71.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)