Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Did my first coolant change today at 27,000 miles and 6 years. PH strips finally called for it. With Valvoline branded blue asian. I drained old coolant and that is shown in the picture of the first shot glass. Was dark green. Then I filled once with distilled water and went on 10 minute drive. then drained (second shot glass) then filled again with distilled water and went on another 10 minute drive. Then drained the water (3rd shot glass) at this point the water is just about clear and looks good enough to me so I filled with coolant and completed the job. I had to remove the bottom kick-plate with those annoying fasteners and broke a couple of them but I have a whole bag of spares. I only drained via the petcock I did not touch the engine-drain bolt at all.

3 quarts came out (including the reservoir tank) each time so I presume 20-25% gets left behind in the engine when you drain only via the petcock. Its a pretty simple job, I would not bother to pay a mechanic to do this.

Attachment 22682
    Attachment 22683

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Ls1WVQS
    hmmm mine is morethan 6 years also and i havent change my coolant...
    time for a DIY!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Well, here is what my original coolant looked like at about 175,000 miles. No, I'm not proud of it...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm also with original coolant at this time (108k miles). Probably should go ahead and change this out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm getting ready to change the coolant for first time. 8 years/70K miles. The service manual says to remove the tank. Is it worth it or can I just pump the old coolant out with a hose?

A special tool -LLC changer (MB991871)- is also indicated to refill the radiator. Is this really needed? I don't think anyone here has used such a thing to refill.

I have almost a gallon of OEM coolant that I bought about 7 years ago to top off the radiator after it spilled due to me loosening the cap accidentally. Could this coolant be used still? Does it decay somehow when kept in an unsealed container for so long?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I'm getting ready to change the coolant for first time. 8 years/70K miles. The service manual says to remove the tank. Is it worth it or can I just pump the old coolant out with a hose?

A special tool -LLC changer (MB991871)- is also indicated to refill the radiator. Is this really needed? I don't think anyone here has used such a thing to refill.

I have almost a gallon of OEM coolant that I bought about 7 years ago to top off the radiator after it spilled due to me loosening the cap accidentally. Could this coolant be used still? Does it decay somehow when kept in an unsealed container for so long?
    It's literally gonna be more effort to pump it out. The overflow tank just lift straight up. Wiggle it a little side to side and lift.

I've never had an issue using coolant from an open jug. I'd giver unless it was older than you are.

No special coolant change tools needed. There's no magic to bleed procedure required, they bleed pretty easy.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-26-2022 at 01:07 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-26-2022),R01k (04-26-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I'd use the coolant that you bought 7 years ago. The mention of that reminds me of a story my dad told me. He said he went into an oil change place (he wasn't in the kind of shape to do it himself). Seems like he told him to use the oil he had in the passenger floor boards (in plastic bottles). Seems he told him he had bought it about a year back and just wanted it used up. They started giving him the ole, "you shouldn't use that oil, it's too old, been sitting around too long," routine.

He pointed to the vast quantities of oil that had sitting up on their shelves and said, "how long has that oil been sitting up there?"

He said the guy looked back at his bottles and said, "we'll go ahead and put these in." Hehehehehe.

I miss my Paw.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-29-2022),CROSSBOLT (04-28-2022),R01k (04-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Did my first coolant change today at 27,000 miles and 6 years. PH strips finally called for it. With Valvoline branded blue asian. I drained old coolant and that is shown in the picture of the first shot glass. Was dark green. Then I filled once with distilled water and went on 10 minute drive. then drained (second shot glass) then filled again with distilled water and went on another 10 minute drive. Then drained the water (3rd shot glass) at this point the water is just about clear and looks good enough to me so I filled with coolant and completed the job. I had to remove the bottom kick-plate with those annoying fasteners and broke a couple of them but I have a whole bag of spares. I only drained via the petcock I did not touch the engine-drain bolt at all.

3 quarts came out (including the reservoir tank) each time so I presume 20-25% gets left behind in the engine when you drain only via the petcock. Its a pretty simple job, I would not bother to pay a mechanic to do this.

Attachment 22682
    Attachment 22683

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Ls1WVQS

When you refilled the radiator for the last time with coolant, was it concentrate or 50/50 mix?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What km/Mike intervals do you recommend for coolant change?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What km/Mike intervals do you recommend for coolant change?

Someone in this thread said original oem that came in car is rated at 5yr/100,000 miles. My G4 is at the 5yr mark, but just under 70k miles. I figure it's due, plus I want everything at peak efficiency when I drive thru GA and FL in June. Otherwise, I'd say every 30k or every couple years. I'm sure there are other opinions on it, though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    plus I want everything at peak efficiency when I drive thru GA and FL in June.
    Maybe you could let us know when you will be coming through. Dirk and I, and now there's another guy too that I forget his UN off-hand, could get together and let you meet us! At THE BIG CHICKEN!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)