Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So, since this is a thread about pointless guessing and assumptions, how about that china flu? Is that still a thing?
    My parents (age 79 & 81) had COVID last week. My dad was sick for a few days first, and only my mom got tested when she got sick a few days later. Since she tested positive, they just assumed my dad had it without testing him. It sounded like nothing more than a cold for them.

My Dad will be 82 on June 30th. Since I didn't go see them for Father's Day, I plan to go up to visit them next week for his birthday. If it's not too hot out, he will most likely put me to work. Apparently, there are some trees that annoy him, & they must be cut down. What is it with old men & trees?

The third booster shot last fall really zapped my parents. They didn't bounce back from that very well. My dad didn't deer hunt much because of it. If a 4th booster shot appears, his primary doctor has already told him to not take it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Well, I hope you're right. I have to believe that if at one time you reduce the CR by removing material. And the more air is able to fill the cylinder, then the AFR is going to be thrown off ... unless you also plan to have a tune done. I don't KNOW that it would throw the AFR off ... but I THINK it will. I don't know if the computer could adjust for it. I believe the computer can adjust a small amount. But enough material removal to affectively lower the AFR is going to affect the AFR greatly (I think). If you do, good luck.
    Dremeling a bit of metal out of the cylinderheads, is meant to be very little. Just enough to prevent knock. Even 1mm will decrease the chance on knock by quite a bit.
    Meanwhile, the increase in air in, is nothing different compared to driving in different weather. Hot dry days, vs muggy cold days, will have a much higher amount of air entering the cylinder.
    The issue is not the air entering the cylinder, but pinging, or preignition, which will make the cylinders hotter, and which in turn will cause even more pinging.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    @Mark: I believe the Atkinson inspired 2.0 engines are quite good, found in Ford Fusion Hybrid, and Elantras.
    They usually run like 1.5-1.8 liter engines, unless fully opened up,then they act like 2.0L engines.
    Their fuel consumption is similar too.

I always hoped for a 1.5L atkinson-Turbo engine.
    The combination will be the most versatile engine possible.
    Keeping exhaust gasses in the cylinder, effectively lowers vacuum losses, and increases compression.
    That's less stress on the engine.
    When the exhaust valves open completely, the engine acts more like a 2.0. The increase in exhaust flow, will cause the turbo to spool up resulting in even more power.
    A 2.0, acting like a 1.6L MPG wise, and like a 2.5L wise when needing power.

Also, when paired with an ECVT, they never really get to rev much higher than 2k RPM.
    The magic sweet spot for highway driving; unless again, the throttle pedal is fully depressed.

A Diesel Atkinson-Turbo engine would give quite the amount of torque, like almost perfect fuel economy, low engine RPM, long lasting engines, and enough power to accelerate when the turbo kicks in.
    Pair it with an ECVT, and a hybrid system with 20HP generator/motor, and a 80HP high output electric motor on the rear wheels, and you got yourself a customer!
    The diesel engine is just there to provide thrust. The electric motor (rear, power motor) is there for acceleration, and the generator for charging the battery, or cruising at <20HP on all electric.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Pair it with an ECVT, and a hybrid system with 20HP generator/motor, and a 80HP high output electric motor on the rear wheels, and you got yourself a customer!
    The diesel engine is just there to provide thrust. The electric motor (rear, power motor) is there for acceleration, and the generator for charging the battery, or cruising at <20HP on all electric.
    You've basically described the new 2023 corolla hybrid. now offering AWD, Atkinson cycle, ECVT transmission, electric rear wheel drive. If they put in all these features then they'd be trying to compete with the Corolla which Mitsubishi is not. This car looses in comparison to a corolla hybrid in every category except price and maybe turning radius. Do you really think that increasing the price to cost as much as a corolla while offering less features than a corolla would really be a good idea?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Dremeling a bit of metal out of the cylinderheads, is meant to be very little. Just enough to prevent knock. Even 1mm will decrease the chance on knock by quite a bit.
    Meanwhile, the increase in air in, is nothing different compared to driving in different weather. Hot dry days, vs muggy cold days, will have a much higher amount of air entering the cylinder.
    The issue is not the air entering the cylinder, but pinging, or preignition, which will make the cylinders hotter, and which in turn will cause even more pinging.
    Let us know when you ACTUALLY do this. The popcorn will be popping...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Was happy with the Spark until the head gasket started to leak externally. Was unhappy the service department told me it was not leaking. Traded car back to dealer and told him it was the last I would even walk across the street for a GM anything even if it was a gift.
    I have been a shadetree and an employed mechanic, ship's engineer (diesel and steam), aircraft mech and sheetmetal repair and fabricator and repaired a Mitsu 2.6 leaking head gasket. I can identify a leaking head gasket.
    Ah, the 80's oil burner leaky HG sold as a Dodge something or other. My g/f had one. I swear I thought the motor was like a Trabant 2-stroke with all the oil she needed to add.

And I guess this thread is now moot as the Spark is now delegated to the disco'd bin of automotive history. Too bad. Seems like we've nearly come full circle, from 35hp Bugs in the 60's to 78hp Mits in the '20. Funny, but I see the Mirage being disc'd long before the 600+ hp Mustangs/Challengers/Vettes. I guess the short ding dong crowd all carry a black Amex to pay for fuel.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-30-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ah, the 80's oil burner leaky HG sold as a Dodge something or other. My g/f had one. I swear I thought the motor was like a Trabant 2-stroke with all the oil she needed to add.

And I guess this thread is now moot as the Spark is now delegated to the disco'd bin of automotive history. Too bad. Seems like we've nearly come full circle, from 35hp Bugs in the 60's to 78hp Mits in the '20. Funny, but I see the Mirage being disc'd long before the 600+ hp Mustangs/Challengers/Vettes. I guess the short ding dong crowd all carry a black Amex to pay for fuel.
    I drove a 63 horsepower car (1990 Ford Festiva designed by Mazda, built by KIA, and sold by Ford/$5,300 brand new) through all of the 1990's (1990-2004). I had a 13 year stretch (2004-2017) where I didn't own an under 100 hp car. During those 13 years, I found myself missing a small economy car. The only two cars that interested me during that stretch of time were the used Ford Festiva (1990-1993 because the 1988-89 did not have fuel injectors) & the Toyota Echo (2000-2005).

As I became more serious about buying a second vehicle/daily driver years later, I considered the used Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, and Mazda2. I prefer buying low mileage (under 30,000 miles) that are 2-4 years old. For me that's a new vehicle without the new vehicle price tag. A low mileage Fit, Yaris, and Mazda2 were still more money than I wanted to pay even 5 years ago.

When I discovered White Bear selling Mirage ES manuals for $7,500-9.500 brand new, I really couldn't pull myself away from that. I tried for 5-6 months, but that deal just came back to haunt me. Looking back 5 years later, I am so thankful for my 2017 Mirage. A Mirage may not be the right car for everyone, but it's a perfect vehicle to compliment my older Subaru Forester.

Having said that, I am sorry to see small cars in that 100 horsepower range disappear from the landscape.

2000-2005 Toyota Echo = 108 hp
    Toyota Yaris = 106 hp
    Mazda2 = 100 hp
    Honda Fit = 109, 117, 130 hp depending on the year
    Some of the Scion models could surely be added to this short list.

If you did a lot of high speed cruising &/or use A/C a lot, I think the slight boost in horsepower is appreciated in small cars like these. I do think going 75-80 mph with the A/C on is a bit taxing for a Mirage. I don't have to drive that speed very often, & thus I don't care that much. I also don't use A/C all that much.

From my perspective, Mitsubishi dropped the Mirage in 2023 by making CVT standard for all models. In my mind, no new small cars will exist going into 2023.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In my mind, no new small cars will exist going into 2023.
    That is the reason I started looking for a mirage. To add to that, after 2023 there will not be any low tech cars anymore either. The push for electric is just to strong, but in my mind totally misguided and premature. We are not ready because the EV technology is in its infancy still, because of inadequate battery production capacity, lack of battery recycling capabilities, but most importantly because of inadequate electricity generation capability.

I think in a few years, no new little gasoline vehicles will be available, but when electrical grid collapses, the older ones will be highly sought after.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    That is the reason I started looking for a mirage. To add to that, after 2023 there will not be any low tech cars anymore either. The push for electric is just to strong, but in my mind totally misguided and premature. We are not ready because the EV technology is in its infancy still, because of inadequate battery production capacity, lack of battery recycling capabilities, but most importantly because of inadequate electricity generation capability.

I think in a few years, no new little gasoline vehicles will be available, but when electrical grid collapses, the older ones will be highly sought after.
    Speaking for myself here - It's easy to blame the government for most things, & I am as guilty of that as anyone. If small cars like the Fit, Yaris, Scion models, & Mazda2 were selling like hotcake, they wouldn't have disappeared from the North American landscape. We have sort of brought this upon ourselves. Mirage owners excluded of course.

I would feel differently if we were talking about the Chevette, Vega, Pinto, Gremlin, or other pieces of junk from the past. These more recent vehicles were affordable, reliable, and economical cars.

The government hasn't forced small cars out of the North American market. We have sort of done that to ourselves. The more affordable base models of vehicles have also disappeared. I don't blame companies for adding $5,000+ in features, because it's what sells.

EV are here to stay, & only say that because 90% of EV owners would buy a second EV. According to -

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...n--survey-says

I agree, however. I think EVs have some growing pains to get past yet. The cost to run them will go up as there becomes more of them most likely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-30-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Speaking for myself here - It's easy to blame the government for most things, & I am as guilty of that as anyone. If small cars like the Fit, Yaris, Scion models, & Mazda2 were selling like hotcake, they wouldn't have disappeared from the North American landscape. We have sort of brought this upon ourselves. Mirage owners excluded of course.

I would feel differently if we were talking about the Chevette, Vega, Pinto, Gremlin, or other pieces of junk from the past. These more recent vehicles were affordable, reliable, and economical cars.

The government hasn't forced small cars out of the North American market. We have sort of done that to ourselves. The more affordable base models of vehicles have also disappeared. I don't blame companies for adding $5,000+ in features, because it's what sells.

EV are here to stay, & only say that because 90% of EV owners would buy a second EV. According to -

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...n--survey-says

I agree, however. I think EVs have some growing pains to get past yet. The cost to run them will go up as there becomes more of them most likely.
    Hey! My 1st 4 cyl. was a '73 Vega GT in 77. I paid $600. It ran 150,000 MILES on 3-4 oil changes, did not burn or use oil and it was the head gasket that killed it. I would say, all things considered, it was the best car I ever owned. Go figure. It looks as if my Saturn will be with me after all. The sale died and I'm glad it did. I have to get a garden tractor this w/e. It is the 2.2l 5MT 143 hp, gets 40-41mpg (damn good) and it really is a nice car to drive. My kid takes over my '17 in 3 years so I'll still have a miser and a good utility. I know the Mirage can easily haul the tractor home, my trailer is only 135lbs, tractor is 500 so ~650lbs=no prob for a Mirage.

I might have 20 years left to drive, I hope my '14 Mirage makes it. Today I saw a '97 Sunfire in excellent shape. Driver told me it was original, Ontario car, Krowned many times & 450,000km. So a 25 yr. old GM made it, my '14 will be 28 in 20 yrs.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-01-2022)