Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muffler pipe in place of cold air intake pipe?

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Muffler pipe in place of cold air intake pipe?

Have any of you ever tried this and did it muffle your cold air intake? I was thinking of using a straight through glass pipe kinda muffler to quiet down the highway drone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minibishi2 View Post
    Have any of you ever tried this and did it muffle your cold air intake? I was thinking of using a straight through glass pipe kinda muffler to quiet down the highway drone.
    The glasspack (or glass pipe, can’t really tell…) on the intake sounds much more interesting. It might even get rid of the squeaky snorkel problem once and for all.

I’ve forgotten how creative this forum can be. Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey minibishi2, do you have links to any of the equipment you have in mind for this project?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You need a Helmholtz resonator. The sound is one thing, but the main problem is that because of how the intake valves work you get intermittent puffs instead of a steady supply and because of the volume of the intake pipe relative to diameter you get inconsistent restricted flow. It takes time and energy to motivate the air in the intake so by the time it moves the valve is closed with less than wanted air

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    So my actually exhaust muffler was replaced with this evil energy one, https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-U...s%2C449&sr=8-3

I'm thinking of using the same here for the intake but just pop the cone filter on one end, and the maf end to the other end of the muffler.

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    I'll need to do more research on that one as I've never heard of it. I'm thinking I've got a bit of trial and error to go about here with amazons generous return policy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your Mirage was shipped from the factory with the intake resonator. It is recommended to leave it in place for both performance and efficiency.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Intake design is highly sophisticated. I promise you can't do better than Mitsubishi engineers, especially with an amazon parts list

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    They ship with a lot of subpar engineered parts.. I've vastly improved my handling with different size wheels and springs. I'm sure I can do better here as well, I'm going to try the muffler and if that is no better try and source a different air box from another vehicle. The stock intake is simply a poor design made for cost.