Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal All-Fit lip/Air dam potential

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Universal All-Fit lip/Air dam potential

I've been looking around for anything to put down for my '19 Mirage. And I've seen a couple discussions of fitting on coroplast for a front air dam, rear diffuser, and potential side skirts. Through my research and running through pages of "universal lips/front kits" I have stumbled across what seems to be a pretty solid lip addition.

https://allfitautomotive.com/lip-kit/

From the reviews that I have seen, this seems pretty solid of a lip. As stated on the site, this is a universal lip that comes in rolls. Just peel off the 3M adhesive and set in where you want it. I've never heard of this before, and I was wondering if anyone has some actual experience with it. Could be useful in setting an air dam on the Mirage.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!

Last edited by ArtyomMajestic; 01-27-2023 at 02:56 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The mirage already has an air dam where it matters most, in front of the wheels. I dont think you will ever see a Return on investment on an air dam. At least adding a smooth underbody as others have done(https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...90-km-h-56-mph) would help retain heat during warmup and in the colder months.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-30-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    that reminds me, i almost have enough useful data to write up the oil pan heater program I started recently.

I had slight peeling of one rear corner of the heater, close to the built in thermostat. I hope that hasn't buggered things. it's been to cold and wet to silicone seal the perimeter of the heater.

I will throw this out. From my limited testing I'll say the 150w oil pan heaters are at least 2x faster than a 400w block heater that does not circulate.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    that reminds me, i almost have enough useful data to write up the oil pan heater program I started recently.

I had slight peeling of one rear corner of the heater, close to the built in thermostat. I hope that hasn't buggered things. it's been to cold and wet to silicone seal the perimeter of the heater.

I will throw this out. From my limited testing I'll say the 150w oil pan heaters are at least 2x faster than a 400w block heater that does not circulate.
    What do you base 2X faster on?

Do you have both an oil pan heater & engine block heater mounted on the same car?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The mirage already has an air dam where it matters most, in front of the wheels. I dont think you will ever see a Return on investment on an air dam. At least adding a smooth underbody as others have done(https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...90-km-h-56-mph) would help retain heat during warmup and in the colder months.
    That's kind of what I'm looking to do, however instead of coroplast just using this. I'm not really looking to gain much in the realm of MPG that will skyrocket up. However the front control and potentially less drag from the front end might be beneficial over time especially during longer trips. The front control and lift is really something I'm looking to nail down. And instead of the coroplast as stated above I was wondering if this lip "kit" would help instead of going out and modifying the front, with screws and mounting hardware. I understand the lower it is, the less resistance so I would assume with this kit it would achieve the same amount without the need of expensive lowering kits/coil Overs.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What do you base 2X faster on?

Do you have both an oil pan heater & engine block heater mounted on the same car?
    Naw, I dug out an old book from college on thermodynamics and did a couple of heat transfer calculations. What I don't know for sure is the air gap of the cartridge heater to the block. I assumed an air gap of around 0.075 inches which immediately puts you in a losing proposition against heat transfer from direct contact like the silicone patch. Since I do have a Kats, NIB (ya, 4 years running forgotten about, doh) and fall all intent our winter is done I'll install the Katts and run tests next winter, if we have one. I do no know what is going on, I just know the climate has changed dramatically since I was a kid. Where I live now was always buried in snow in winter. In just 6 years living here I have gone from normal snowy conditions to what I call Virginia like weather. It's -1C and should be -10C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Naw, I dug out an old book from college on thermodynamics and did a couple of heat transfer calculations. What I don't know for sure is the air gap of the cartridge heater to the block. I assumed an air gap of around 0.075 inches which immediately puts you in a losing proposition against heat transfer from direct contact like the silicone patch. Since I do have a Kats, NIB (ya, 4 years running forgotten about, doh) and fall all intent our winter is done I'll install the Katts and run tests next winter, if we have one. I do no know what is going on, I just know the climate has changed dramatically since I was a kid. Where I live now was always buried in snow in winter. In just 6 years living here I have gone from normal snowy conditions to what I call Virginia like weather. It's -1C and should be -10C.
    What if there isn't much if airgap in the cartridge block heater. The ones that say Mitsu on the box come with some grease that you smear on before installing it. I assume it's to help transfer heat to the better and/or prevent dissimilar metal corrosion?

I found this winter mild so far, except for one cold stretch. I'm fine with mild winter. My house has crappy 1978 insulation and windows. Our latest power+gas bill was close to what I paid for my Mirage. I had to take in my empties to pay it!

I think it's time to buy a wood stove before they're outlawed...

As for the airdam, it seems like Mitsubishi keeps making the little flaps(air dams) under the front bumper larger for each refresh. The 14-15 have little rubber flaps, 17-21 have slightly larger ones and added some in front of the rear wheels. Now the 23' I had in the shop has some even bigger ones if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe they just look bigger cause they're usually either worn down or torn off of most of the cars I see?

I watched a video where they took a dodge pickup and did a mpg comparison with the stock air damn installed versus removed. The verdict was that having the ugly airdam/valance installed did noticably help mpg. They also did another test comparing the difference a tonneau cover makes which showed similar results.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-30-2023 at 08:16 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What if there isn't much if airgap in the cartridge block heater. The ones that say Mitsu on the box come with some grease that you smear on before installing it. I assume it's to help transfer heat to the better and/or prevent dissimilar metal corrosion?

I found this winter mild so far, except for one cold stretch. I'm fine with mild winter. My house has crappy 1978 insulation and windows. Our latest power+gas bill was close to what I paid for my Mirage. I had to take in my empties to pay it!

I think it's time to buy a wood stove before they're outlawed...

As for the airdam, it seems like Mitsubishi keeps making the little flaps(air dams) under the front bumper larger for each refresh. The 14-15 have little rubber flaps, 17-21 have slightly larger ones and added some in front of the rear wheels. Now the 23' I had in the shop has some even bigger ones if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe they just look bigger cause they're usually either worn down or torn off of most of the cars I see?

I watched a video where they took a dodge pickup and did a mpg comparison with the stock air damn installed versus removed. The verdict was that having the ugly airdam/valance installed did noticably help mpg. They also did another test comparing the difference a tonneau cover makes which showed similar results.
    Ya, with a firm snug fit with dielectric grease it might be a different contest. I figured the grease was to eliminate galvanic action as well. But the Kats is grease free with no directions to grease it. (I'll double check on the NIB one I have) so that means it's not likely a contact fit unless the Katz cartridge is very close to the same AL.

I have a fireplace with an insert thing and for the extra heat I get bringing home wood to burn wasn't worth it the 2 winters I tried. I dunno, the whole burning hydrocarbons in an open fire is new for me. Hmmm, I know they made woodstoves to fit in a fireplace. Maybe I should check that out. My Dad had a Franklin stove and it alone heated a 1200 sq ft. house in Burlington back when winters were 4 months of -20C and worse. Geez, that house had 60's windows, my room faced north, there would be a solid layer of ice on my windows 1/4" thick. I disliked being there in winter, greatly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyomMajestic View Post
    I've been looking around for anything to put down for my '19 Mirage. And I've seen a couple discussions of fitting on coroplast for a front air dam, rear diffuser, and potential side skirts. Through my research and running through pages of "universal lips/front kits" I have stumbled across what seems to be a pretty solid lip addition.

https://allfitautomotive.com/lip-kit/

From the reviews that I have seen, this seems pretty solid of a lip. As stated on the site, this is a universal lip that comes in rolls. Just peel off the 3M adhesive and set in where you want it. I've never heard of this before, and I was wondering if anyone has some actual experience with it. Could be useful in setting an air dam on the Mirage.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!
    I have something like this. I’m pretty sure I got it from wishdotcom, so I didn’t have high hopes for it. I probably didn’t clean the wax off as well as I should have and I used a bunch of screws to compensate for the weak adhesive. I’ve had it for a few years on my lowered ‘18 and it’s held up pretty well. There’s a gap where I should put in another screw. Mine’s black and I like how it blends/flows with the black under the doors.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-30-2023)