Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    We all know how you feel - your rant is present in pretty much every thread on this forum.
    Your constant posts about how expensive things have gotten is tired.
    THAT'S INFLATION. THAT'S THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS. THAT'S LIFE.
    Only an IDIOT with more money than brains would buy neglected used car over a new Mirage for the same money.
    And, let's face it, almost everyone who buys a Honda/Toyota/fill-in-the-blank doesn't maintain it, and passes on the neglect to the poor unsuspecting buyer who thinks it's a better value than buying a new car.
    We've all been down that road, and that's why we're here.
    If I were in the market today for a car, I'd still buy a new Mirage at sticker price, than any used car for the same money.
    I am really sorry if my posts are that offensive to you. I don't share your opinion that most used vehicles are abused, especially lower mileage ones.

I would say my 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD manual with 20,000 miles bought in 2004 for $12,000 was one of my best vehicle purchases of all time. The couple was from where I grew up, & they took extremely good care of the vehicle. It was the wife's winter vehicle, and she used a convertible during the summer months. They even shared how they stored it properly.

Those prices would be much higher in today's market. Any idiot would know that, even me!

In a typical economy, vehicles depreciate a lot the first couple years. I'd rather invest in more land, buy a newer tractor, or several other things before throwing a lot of money at an economy car. We may all look at this differently, & I get that! Once again, I am sorry if my views don't align with your views on vehicles.

I hope you have a great day just the same!

Last edited by Mark; 02-07-2023 at 08:22 PM.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    Mark, in 2017,I could have bought 2 bags of Doritos for $4. Now, that same $4 only gets me ONE BAG.
    OMG, call the waaaaaahmbulance!!!!!!!!
    Get over it, and MOVE ON!
    Name:  download.jpeg.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  18.9 KB

Mark has helped alot of folks on here with his "rants". You're ranting about corn chips. F#ck off, your upsetting the zen balance around here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Name:  download.jpeg.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  18.9 KB

Mark has helped alot of folks on here with his "rants". You're ranting about corn chips. F#ck off, your upsetting the zen balance around here.
    88coltturbo's points were well taken, & I understand where he is coming from. I don't want any hard feelings, & I sincerely mean that!

I am guilty of treating each thread as a new conversation. Thus, I do overly repeat various things to those who follow most of the threads.

Regardless of how I may present things, I am a big advocate of the Mirage. The car wasn't even on my radar until 2017. I had written it off like most clueless people at first. I had thought about getting a daily driver for years, and my search sorts were hatchback, manual transmission, for under $10,000. I wanted to extend the life of my 2011 Forester, & I have always liked hatchbacks/wagons in the past. I missed owning one!

Thus, for a long time I was looking at used cars such as the Yaris, Fit, Scion models, and the Mazda2. At some point, these brand new Mirage hatchbacks started showing up within my 250 mile radius search on cars.com. So I started investigating them, & it's how I ended up here today. Fummin's fleet experience, KBB's customer reviews, and European reviews of the Mirage erased any doubts I had about the car.

It was a fun journey to get here, and for a long time the Mirage remained very affordable. I would say somewhat good deals existed from 2017 to early 2021. Things changed drastically around April/May of 2021.

I understand the meaning of inflation, but there's a big difference between being able to buy two cars for the price of one today. Things have changed that drastically! I'm sure Doritos may have doubled in price, too. Simple items like eggs are 4-5 times more expensive. Buying eggs, however, is not the same as buying a new car.

I still think a highly discounted Mirage was a great alternative to buying a used car. The lack of discounts recently has made it lose some of its shine in my eyes, but it still may be the best option for others. We all know that the other models I mentioned above are no longer sold in North America, & even the Chevy Spark has fallen recently.

I do think pricing of an economy car does make a difference. I would base some of that theory on last year's Mirage sales. Despite all the major competition fading away in recent years, 2022 was the worst Mirage sales (including 2014-2022). I realize other factors may come into play. Availability may have been lacking, but that may be related to low demand, too???

The bottom line - small cars are not popular in the States today. Chevy dropped pretty much all cars (except the Malibu) prior to the Spark, & the Spark still had a terrible final year (worst year since the introduction year of 2012). It did worse than the Mirage in 2022, but they were also phasing out the model. Neither car did great this past year, & I would have thought a tough economy would have pushed people to more affordable vehicles.

I like simple economy cars that offer an affordable base trim level, but I am not the norm. I know that, too! I don't like the trend of what's happening with the small cars in the States, & I should probably just leave at that.

I don't want any hard feelings between 88coltturbo or anyone else for that matter. I'd rather eat popcorn & drink beer with Fummins & my buddy Dirk!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-08-2023),inuvik (02-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'd rather eat popcorn & drink beer with Fummins & my buddy Dirk!
    What about me? Aren't we pals?

I forget, were you able to find your Mirage at a reasonable price?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    What about me? Aren't we pals?

I forget, were you able to find your Mirage at a reasonable price?
    Yes, you are welcome to join us for popcorn/beer & so is 88coltturbo & the rest of the gang, too! Life is too short to lose sleep over one's view about cars!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think we all know there's something seriously amiss in the financial world. The biggest driver of prices is, wait for it, wages. We're all aware most things have nearly doubled pricewise in the last 5 years alone. It takes 7 years @7% to double your money but what institution has offered anyone that kind of rate in the last 20 years, much less the last 5?

In what common sector has the wage doubled in the last 7 years, never mind the last 5? Nothing I can think of. When the average cost of a new car in America is, what, $48K and the median wage in America is what, $56K you don't need a Nobel Prize in Economics to see something is very wrong.

The financial system used to reset about every 7 years or so. It hasn't been allowed to reset for close to 20.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Driving.ca article about the Mirage:

https://driving.ca/features/shopping...a50463d0c/amp/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I think we all know there's something seriously amiss in the financial world. The biggest driver of prices is, wait for it, wages. We're all aware most things have nearly doubled pricewise in the last 5 years alone. It takes 7 years @7% to double your money but what institution has offered anyone that kind of rate in the last 20 years, much less the last 5?

In what common sector has the wage doubled in the last 7 years, never mind the last 5? Nothing I can think of. When the average cost of a new car in America is, what, $48K and the median wage in America is what, $56K you don't need a Nobel Prize in Economics to see something is very wrong.

The financial system used to reset about every 7 years or so. It hasn't been allowed to reset for close to 20.
    Your reset is coming. "By 2030, You'll own nothing and you'll be happy"-Klaus Schwab, nazi. Leader of the World Economic Forum

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    "Most Affordable Full-Size Pickup: Ram 1500 Classic, $44,245." Holy cow! Men are idiots. I'll never be buying a new truck. I drove my big blue truck this morning, just because it's been a while. It is a proper truck, a loaded out 3/4 ton. I only paid $34k for it. Course that was 23 years ago. Glad I have what I have. And shall keep them a while longer...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)