Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Fuel Economy Run

I think It'd be fun but I don't own anything that's even remotely fuel efficient at the moment. Plus Tampa is almost 3000miles away and I don't have a passport or any spare time so I'm out

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3000 miles is a bit of a haul. But, I've done it before.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Give it some time hopefully you'll get a better response.
    Well, it's not a big forum, and I've only seen 2 or 3 people say they're in FL. So, I wasn't really expecting much.

Maybe I need to get on the Ecomodder forum? But, those guys wouldn't like the way I do an eco run. By introducing the variable of "choose your best route", it loses a lot of precision because I base the results on the "official mileage", and if you take a shortcut, you haven't actually travelled that many miles. (my theory is that the "average person" would have just taken the easy Google Maps highway route that was presented to them, even if a shorter route was available... so, your fuel usage is compared to that)

I like to make it more than JUST the "I can milk 80 mpg out of a Metro" and put route planning into the mix... with a time limit, of course. You don't have time to crawl, you have to maintain an average speed. And, you certainly don't have time for wrong turns or getting lost!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    why not develop some rally rules that can be done anywhere - aka iron butt challenge ?
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I suppose it could be done. But, then... it's not much different than the running fuel logs that people already keep.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I think that's a good idea - that is, developing a fuel economy run that can be done anywhere.

One approach follows how I noted my daily commute - start with an initial baseline and improve from there. However there's so many variables involved - my fuel economy has improved since my Mirage was new, and I attribute that to break-in.

But I suppose that should be a different discussion. Sorry for the hijack.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe... but what if you can win cool stickers ?
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, make up some rules and go spend money on some cool stickers. Have fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (08-20-2018)

I've done a half dozen fuel economy rallies in various cars: Metro (Canadian market Firefly, actually), 1st gen Honda Insight 5-speed (hybrid system completely disabled so I was in the non-hybrid class), and a base 5-speed 2014 Mirage loaned by Mitsu Canada. Won a few, too (horn: toot toot!).

They're good fun, and the time-speed-distance ones are VERY challenging. And the time element ensures the participants aren't driving slowly.

The last few I did were north of Montreal on highly entertaining, twisty, hilly roads the organizer mapped out specifically for the curves and because the speed limits were unusually HIGH for the roads! A few gravel stages too (I had to turn off stability control in the Mirage to keep my speed up!). People who think eco-driving is boring and slow need to see one of these in action.

Feel free to post it on EcoModder. We've got a bunch of active FL members.

Related: there's an annual "Green Grand Prix" with public road rally plus an on-track MPG challenge at Watkins Glen, NY as well. Beautiful area. Runs in April or May each year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, they are definitely fun and challenging. It's hard to get the non-eco types to realize that sometimes. That's why I devised the "percent improvement over EPA" scoring method. It takes away that "I don't drive an economy car" excuse. (and we had a 2014 Miata finish just behind me at the last one... something like 48% over EPA, not too shabby!)

Watkins Glen pissed me off a couple years ago. We were vacationing around North-central PA and the corner of NY, and one of the places my wife wanted to go was right there in Watkins Glen. I'd craftily rented a V6 Mustang, and verified that the track does cheap "parade laps" daily. I was all set to go run a few laps of the track... with my wife in the passenger seat, even! (she never does track stuff or even autocross) The day I went was like a Wednesday before a NASCAR race, and they had the track closed for team testing. I was sad, I'll likely never get up there again.

Anyway... if I decide to put together an eco run, I'll let you know. I'm not likely to sign up on Ecomodder just to push a rally event. But, you can spread the word.

Maybe this fall. September is a no-go. I've already got 3 autocross events on my plate.