Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3A92 fuel injector specs & flow rate

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

3A92 fuel injector specs & flow rate

I'm on a hunt to find out the 3A92 fuel injector specs, primarily flow rate. I would mainly like to know this for the nitrous oxide system that I am building for the Mirage. But, its also great info for anyone doing engine modifications.

I've searched the service manual for the flow rate data with no luck. There is no test procedure in it to measure flow.

Next up, I contacted several fuel injector cleaning and servicing companies. They do not have access to this info. Apparently they just test the flow rate when they service the injectors and report it back to you.

I also contacted a couple Chinese manufacturers of fuel injectors on ebay that are selling 3A92 replacement fuel injectors. So far, they've only said 'they're the same as the original injectors'... haha, not real helpful.

I do know that these are the same injectors used on the 4A92 engine which is the 4 cylinder version of our 3A92. This was used on the Lancer, ASX, and a few other models outside of the US.

If any of you have any additional info on the fuel injectors, I'd love to hear it. If anyone has an extra fuel injector kicking around, I will pay for you to send it in to a lab to have it flow tested.

Just for a bit more info for this thread:

Here are the markings on the fuel injectors. The Mitsubishi part number is 1465A331. I am not sure what KMN230B is, EAT320, or that other long string of numbers.

Name:  mirageInjector.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  mirageInjector2.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  mirageInjector3.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  90.7 KB

If we zoom in on the picture, it looks like our injectors have 10 holes in them.

Name:  mirageInjector4.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  29.7 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A few months back, I replaced my injectors. I bought them on Alibaba from Guangzhou Super Technology: https://chaopei.en.alibaba.com/

I was in contact with many distributors and was able to haggle a good price for the set: $12/piece + $24 shipping = $60. I thought that was a good price, seeing that most domestic distributors wanted well over $100/piece. I immediately noticed a significant bump in MPG from the new injectors. I assumed there was a loss in flow rate, but I did not notice a loss of performance. However, coming down from high speeds, the curb idle drops to almost stalling...sometimes. I have no good idea on why this is. But, I had a noticeable gain in MPG (other maintenance at the same time may have a contributing factor to the improved MPG) and figured it was worth the trade-off...if you could call it that. Heres some pics:

(10 holes are pretty clear here)
    Name:  1465A331+%282%29.jpg
Views: 2422
Size:  15.4 KB

Name:  1465A331+%284%29.jpg
Views: 2486
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  1465A331+%283%29.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  74.5 KB

I will send you my OEM set for analysis. Though, I think these new injectors may deserve another look as well.
    Last edited by Qrush; 01-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-12-2019),foama (01-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    A few months back, I replaced my injectors. I bought them on Alibaba from Guangzhou Super Technology: https://chaopei.en.alibaba.com/

I was in contact with many distributors and was able to haggle a good price for the set: $12/piece + $24 shipping = $60. I thought that was a good price, seeing that most domestic distributors wanted well over $100/piece. I immediately noticed a significant bump in MPG from the new injectors. I assumed there was a loss in flow rate, but I did not notice a loss of performance. However, coming down from high speeds, the curb idle drops to almost stalling...sometimes. I have no good idea on why this is. But, I had a noticeable gain in MPG (other maintenance at the same time may have a contributing factor to the improved MPG) and figured it was worth the trade-off...if you could call it that. Heres some pics:

(10 holes are pretty clear here)
    Qrush, why did you replace your injectors? Were you having problems with your original set?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Qrush, why did you replace your injectors? Were you having problems with your original set?
    Not really. Miles were about 120k and price was right. Figured i would give it a go. MPG's got a bump so I cannot complain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome, thanks!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of the Chinese eBay guys got back to me. He said that they did a flow test on the injector to be sure of what it was. He claims that the injectors are 260cc. This seems very large for this car in my opinion. I was expecting something more like 185ish.

In either case, Qrush is sending me his old set of injectors and I will have them flow tested to be sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We've got a low-power engine, but you have to remember that it's a 3-cylinder, so each cylinder is doing more than you think.

I always think of this engine as exactly 3/4 of a 1.6 liter Miata engine. 1.6 Miata injectors are 230cc, and they notoriously don't have a lot of headroom. So, 260 doesn't sound unreasonable, especially for a modern multi-micro-hole injector in probably a higher pressure fuel system.

Good to double-check that info, but if it's true... we've got lots of room to make more power as long as the ECU is willing to deliver the required pulsewidth.
    Simplify and add lightness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    We've got a low-power engine, but you have to remember that it's a 3-cylinder, so each cylinder is doing more than you think.

I always think of this engine as exactly 3/4 of a 1.6 liter Miata engine. 1.6 Miata injectors are 230cc, and they notoriously don't have a lot of headroom. So, 260 doesn't sound unreasonable, especially for a modern multi-micro-hole injector in probably a higher pressure fuel system.

Good to double-check that info, but if it's true... we've got lots of room to make more power as long as the ECU is willing to deliver the required pulsewidth.
    Wouldn't this cause problems with the emission controls? I thought the stoichiometric ratio determined the amount of fuel delivered, not the injector capacity.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The rating of the injector is just its maximum capacity. Doesn't mean it's flowing that rate all the time.

The ecu is tuned around the injectors (and everything else) that is used on the engine. It delivers an injector pulse width based on the RPM, throttle position, airflow or manifold pressure, engine temperature and intake air temperature. That pulse width is then modified based on feedback from the O2 sensor to maintain stoich.
    Simplify and add lightness.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-19-2019),inuvik (01-20-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    A few months back, I replaced my injectors. I bought them on Alibaba from Guangzhou Super Technology: https://chaopei.en.alibaba.com/ pretty clear here)
    Questions:
    Are the ones in your pix the new ones?
    Since I didn't find Mirage on their pages, what variety did you order?