Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CVTransmission Failure. P0796, Limp Mode

Bummer it stranded you.

Keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Bummer it stranded you.

Keep us posted.
    I got off pretty lucky- I was within a mile of my work, and we have a big parking lot here. It limped along (badly) and had to be put into 'B' to get this far. As Fummins said- could have been worse.

I'm sourcing a few used trannys now, just waiting for a little nicer weather, as it's mighty cold in my garage for the next few days.

Can anyone CONFIRM that a 2017 transmission (CVT) goes into a 2014 without issue?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

You should be the first to do a CVT-to-manual swap!!

Sorry! Not helpful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You should be the first to do a CVT-to-manual swap!!
    You know, I HAD considered it, but I think that's outside my realm (like a "simple" transmission swap isn't... :/ )

Realstically though, even if I get a high mileage used CVT, I only need the mirage for a couple more years until I can switch to an EV.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I got off pretty lucky- I was within a mile of my work, and we have a big parking lot here. It limped along (badly) and had to be put into 'B' to get this far. As Fummins said- could have been worse.

I'm sourcing a few used trannys now, just waiting for a little nicer weather, as it's mighty cold in my garage for the next few days.

Can anyone CONFIRM that a 2017 transmission (CVT) goes into a 2014 without issue?
    I can't confirm a 14' but a 17' will work for sure in a 15'. I'd give it a try.

Looks like the 14' has a different part number. 2700A304 (up to 4/1/14) From 4/1/14 on is 2700A424 15-17'. Don't know if there is any real change that'll affect interchangeability or did they just update a few parts or just the part number itself? A wrecker could tell you what will interchange for almost any vehicle, except a Mirage..... Why they system doesn't recognize a Mirage, I don't know but I ran into that with a few oddball vehicles in the past. I can only remember one being a lada niva..
    I doubt calling the dealer would be of any help for this. I've ran into some GM 4l60e's that the dealer would say are one year only and you can't use one from a 5.3L in a 4.8L but they all work from 99-07.
    Actually learned that by calling a transmission shop in town, though I don't know of any shop that fixes cvt's.

Before I took a gamble I'd make sure that all the electrical plugs are exactly the same, though they could be wired differently inside the case?

It shouldn't be hard to find a low mileage one, most people don't seem to put many miles on these cars.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2019),Tyrelirwin (01-29-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It shouldn't be hard to find a low mileage one, most people don't seem to put many miles on these cars.
    When I was looking a month ago I got a quote for around $390+$75 core charge. Today when I called around, they all were priced at $1,000+, regardless of mileage. Splendid.

How do you fill the CVT back up with fluid after it's installed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I was looking a month ago I got a quote for around $390+$75 core charge. Today when I called around, they all were priced at $1,000+, regardless of mileage. Splendid.

Just curious, had you been changing cvt fluid on the service schedule intervals?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

Put a small funnel on the dipstick tube.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have found Carpart.com to be pretty reliable when it comes to interchanges. They say '14-'18 CVTs interchange.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-30-2019),MetroMPG (01-30-2019),Tyrelirwin (02-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have found Carpart.com to be pretty reliable when it comes to interchanges. They say '14-'18 CVTs interchange.
    I better correct this....................They are pretty reliable except for a Mirage. You've just been lucky.
    No they don't. Car-part/hollander/eden has zero interchange for anything for a 2014+ Mirage. Unless you're seeing something I'm not this is what it shows...Attachment 13794 It says right there non-interchange. (EDIT: I don't know why they show 14-18' for the transmission,usually when there was a non interchange for something they'd go back a few years and forward a few but that isn't the case for every part now). And Mirages came with a standard or cvt, they don't give you the option to choose. Because they don't have any interchange. The wrecker notes all show whether they are 5spd or cvt because when they enter a car with non-interchange numbers they won't have a clue what fits unless they've tried it already or have a few different models in stock to compare with.

Last edited by Fummins; 01-30-2019 at 02:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)