Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear drum brake removal/replacement: An introduction

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    The issue that prompted the brake change was a fully locked rear pass side wheel when I tried to leave for work in the morning.
    I had 30,000km previous complained that this wheel would lock up prematurely just b4 coming to full stop when parking.

All this to say the star wheel adjusters work just fine.
    Have you ever pulled your drums off? Sounds like something is going on with your rear passenger drum mechanism?!? Unless your car has a European-type setup, these cars don't use star wheel adjusters in the brake drums.

The picture on the left is the drum setup on my 2015. The picture on the right was posted by someone in Europe. Notice that my 2015 drum brakes do not use a star wheel adjuster.

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  86.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Wow, you have all the luck! I assume there's only one Mitsu dealer near you?
    I see on Rockauto that raybestos,centric or acdelco list the same for a 17' fitting a 14' Mirage as well. If the drum went larger in 17' I assume the shoes aren't gonna be the same as a 14-15'. If you look up wagner or bosch they show 17' and newer fit along with older Versa and I-meiv,lancer....
    I know what I'd want to do with the old parts lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Have you ever pulled your drums off? Sounds like something is going on with your rear passenger drum mechanism?!? Unless your car has a European-type setup, these cars don't use star wheel adjusters in the brake drums.

The picture on the left is the drum setup on my 2015. The picture on the right was posted by someone in Europe. Notice that my 2015 drum brakes do not use a star wheel adjuster.

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  86.6 KB
    See post 41
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Anyway.. Raybestos and Rock auto believe the 1059PG shoes fit my '17 Mirage..they do not, so I have a set of useless shoes to get rid of as well.
    Sorry to hear about your hassle, but glad you got it squared away. Yep, there is no way brake shoes that fit a '14-'15 will fit on a '17-'18 (or likely '19). As was documented in this thread, the rear brakes are completely different. Interestingly, MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com lists the '14, '15, and '17 Mirages as using the same brake shoes (4600A350) when I search brakes for a 2015 Mirage (click on the part number and scroll to the bottom of the page).

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...ar-brakes-scat

However, when I search brakes for a 2017 Mirage, a different part number (4600A028) comes up for the rear brake shoes.

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...ar-brakes-scat

Interestingly, if you click on that part number and look at the interchange at the bottom of the page, it doesn't list these as being Mirage brake shoes at all....it lists them as fitting a LANCER. I think we now know where the bigger rear brakes on the '17-up Mirages were sourced from! Mitsubishi obviously has this all screwed up in some or all of it's parts catalogs, which is why Raybestos and Rock Auto are confused as well.

If you need brake shoes for your '17-up Mirage, you might want to try ordering shoes intended for a 2014-2017 Lancer instead.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 06-10-2019 at 01:57 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-10-2019),IchabodCrane (06-10-2019),poorman1 (03-08-2020)

Or just lookup wagner or bosch parts. On wagner's site they show a 16' lancer as having the same shoes as a 17' mirage. They don't give an entire interchange list though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Mirage videos:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK...I'm confused (not completely unusual).

Are we saying that all 2014-2015 North American Mirages don't use star wheel adjusters, but all 2017+ Mirages do have them? I wasn't sure if Post #41 was an odd-ball or if all 2017+ Mirages are like that now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    OK...I'm confused (not completely unusual).

Are we saying that all 2014-2015 North American Mirages don't use star wheel adjusters, but all 2017+ Mirages do have them? I wasn't sure if Post #41 was an odd-ball or if all 2017+ Mirages are like that now.
    If I had to bet, I'd say all '17-up Mirages use the rear brake shoes from the 2014-2017 Lancer, which feature the star adjuster. At least in the US, as that is when Mitsubishi seems to have made the front brakes larger. Problem is, we don't have enough people here who have had to do work on their rear brakes to generate any kind of sample size adequate enough to draw a definitive conclusion from.

It is also possible that this was some kind of running change during the extended '15 model year, but I doubt it. I can't imagine Mitsubishi would have paired the larger rear brakes on cars with the smaller front brakes, and it seems all '14-'15 cars have the smaller front brakes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess the most important upshot of this whole thing is that '17-up Mirages feature Lancer rear brakes, and that means it should be very cheap and easy to source aftermarket replacement shoes.

Hooray!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-10-2019)

Just did brakes on all 4 wheels at 76,000km. (90% highway driving)
    That's not very long for brakes to last with that much highway driving!

Fronts were in horrible shape with rotors suffering extreme rust damage with high ridges inner and outer edges. There was still a dime's thickness of friction material on thinnest pad.
    This is my typical situation. I literally can't remember the last time I had to replace pads due to wear on any of my cars. But I change rotors relatively often due to corrosion -- rust belt environs, PLUS not driving a lot (time spent sitting), PLUS not braking very hard when I do drive = recipe for premature fatal rotor rust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    If I had to bet, I'd say all '17-up Mirages use the rear brake shoes from the 2014-2017 Lancer, which feature the star adjuster.
    That would make sense. Like you said...very few people with 2017s have had their drums off.

It is also possible that this was some kind of running change during the extended '15 model year, but I doubt it.
    For what it's worth, my 2015 was built in December 2015 and does not have star wheel adjusters.