Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holy Break- in!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    Different view, metal flakes aluminum in color with a lot of copper colored silt in base of metal housing. (Used shears, did NOT grind anything open)
    It's obvious you used shears. I would expect/want any oil filter to collect those items if they are in the oil. That was my point!

Good case for doing that first oil change early, however!

Honestly - My Mirage engine is the least of my worries in life!

If you take care of it, I believe it will serve you well! You are surely doing that! Thanks for sharing all that!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Thanks for the impressive pictures!

Just a thought. You could use a filter made for the Mitsubishi ASX by a renowned filter maker. The ASX filter is practically the same, except it is very slightly longer and contains a bypass valve. That reduces startup clatter by raising the oil pressure behind the filter quicker.

For those that don't already know, the filters they install from factory are much smaller than the replacement ones you get from the mitsubishi dealer. And they are torqued to 250ft-lb. At least the ones we get(mz690072). I've been using them from day one and have only had no engine failures so far. I do have one 2017 with under 100k kms and another 15' with 400k kms that is using 1 liter of oil every 5000-6000kms. But otherwise all the one's I've maintained are good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Ok, I cut open the Mitsubishi filter we get from the dealer. It does have the antidrainback rubber washer thing. I've got a few wix 51358 from a nissan that are close in size but shorter more like the factory installed Mirage filters. I'll have to hack them open and have a look. I just used a big tubing cutter.

I think all of this has been gone over already many moons ago. Factory installed filter=pooh

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Ok, I cut open the Mitsubishi filter we get from the dealer. It does have the antidrainback rubber washer thing. I've got a few wix 51358 from a nissan that are close in size but shorter more like the factory installed Mirage filters. I'll have to hack them open and have a look. I just used a big tubing cutter.

I think all of this has been gone over already many moons ago. Factory installed filter=pooh
    The more I have looked into this topic, the more I am convinced none of this really matters. When I say none of this, I mean brand of synthetic oil or oil filter even. Does a bad 0W-20 oil even exist? Is there a bad synthetic product out there? I do take stock in a better quality oil filter than the real cheap ones, but I wouldn't credit that to what you share either.

If someone asked me why Fummin's fleet does so well, I would credit the maintenance done on them. You don't extend out the oil change intervals, and your company has someone like you to make sure these things are getting done. Your cars are not being neglected, & they are serving you well!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

craigq (06-27-2019),inuvik (06-26-2019),Top_Fuel (06-27-2019)

Pretty much. Oil is oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty much. Oil is oil.
    Then again, your fleet has Captain Fantastic working on them!

I expect your cars to be doing well! On a more serious note, I bought a Mirage partly because of your posts two years ago. I wasn't sensing any red flags with the power train of the Mirage. 2 years later that view hasn't changed much!

If you take care of them, they are dependable little cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, but this is an enthusiast forum for slow economy cars that hardly anything ever goes wrong with. So, let's have another discussion about oil filter quality, the correct oil viscosity, tire choices... oh, and CVT reliability. Dirk?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The more I have looked into this topic, the more I am convinced none of this really matters. When I say none of this, I mean brand of synthetic oil or oil filter even. Does a bad 0W-20 oil even exist? Is there a bad synthetic product out there? I do take stock in a better quality oil filter than the real cheap ones, but I wouldn't credit that to what you share either.

If someone asked me why Fummin's fleet does so well, I would credit the maintenance done on them. You don't extend out the oil change intervals, and your company has someone like you to make sure these things are getting done. Your cars are not being neglected, & they are serving you well!
    I completely agree. People obsess over which filter is made where, what drainback valve is made of which material, or how sturdy this filter's or that filter's end caps are. An oil filter has a relatively short lifespan and relatively simple job, and I don't think it needs to be built to space shuttle specifications to be effective.

Just change the oil and filter regularly. You will be fine. Do you like to change your oil and filter every 15,000 miles? Every 20,000? Okay, maybe spend a couple extra bucks on that space shuttle filter. Otherwise, just take a deep breath and follow the schedule.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-27-2019)

So do you think I'll be safe extending oil change intervals all the way to 6011kms? I'm a little hesitant and feel like I was using the wrong oil filter all these years!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-27-2019)