Thread: Tell me about your key ring

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Tell me about your key ring

I hate the bulk of keys and clunky keyrings that make you walk lopsided from their weight.

After some serious thought I trimmed my keyring substantially.

1 factory Mirage key, the single biggest bulky key I have.
    1 Suzuki Burgman key that operates all three of my Burgmans. Plain jane flat bronze key.
    1 trunk key for the Burgmans. I have keyed alike trunks.
    1 Saturn Vue key, it has the plastic head as for some reason plain jane bronze keys don't work.
    1 boat key, not ignition but an entry key. Plain jane. My motor start controls are in the salon.

0 house keys. I have digital locks on all my exterior doors. I have hidden a plain key just in case.

Multiple, (12 at last count) of the little bar encoded plastic cards and a War Amps recovery card. I don't mind these little cards, they're really handy when shopping or at the library or whatever.

Any other keys I have, sheds, snowblower, tool chests, gun vaults are in one of those grey wall mount boxes locked inside a safe. It's not a perfect system but it beats toting around a dozen or more keys like I used to. I'm looking to replace the Mirage key with a plain jane key as you'll read in my remote start topic.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I hate the bulk of keys and clunky keyrings that make you walk lopsided from their weight.

1 Suzuki Burgman key that operates all three of my Burgmans. Plain jane flat bronze key.
    1 Saturn Vue key, it has the plastic head as for some reason plain jane bronze keys don't work.
    1 boat key, not ignition but an entry key. Plain jane. My motor start controls are in the salon.

0 house keys. I have digital locks on all my exterior doors. I have hidden a plain key just in case.
    I have 5 or less keys on my keychain. I don't own that much stuff. All about minimalism or I accumulate too much fast.

I do have a spare set of keys.. that is like nearly identical to my daily keys. I don't have the fob for my Mirage, just a basic model, so no matter what I do I have to carry my keys.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a wad of keys that's got my house key, small garage door fob, and a cool aluminum pill container with "emergency" Ibuprofen in it. I grab that most of the time when I leave, unless I know my wife will be home with the garage door open when I get home.

The cars I drive most lately are my Mirage and my driver's ed car, which is a Kia Rio. Both have giant-headed fob keys, and I just don't want to carry around a bunch of those. So, I've started keeping them all separate, each with a 1" ring just to make them easy to hang and bought a 6-hook wall-hanger for them. I just grab the key to the car that I want to drive on my way out the door.

The Miata key usually stays in the car (it's parked in the garage). The S10 key stays in the cupholder of the S10 along with some loose change. And the door is never locked. I live on the edge.

Yeah. I miss the days of a simple key ring with 4-5 simple flat keys on it! I used to carry a minimal set of keys on a brass clip.

Oh, and I got locked out of my house once in 1998. New house, didn't have the "routine" down, and just managed to step out to the garage and lock the door behind me before realizing that I didn't have my keys. Of course, I was on my way to a job interview! Tried to break a window, which thankfully was difficult, as I didn't have an appropriate tool handy. Ended up peeling the door frame off of the door to the garage and breaking in that way.

Never again! Ever since then, I've had a keypad garage door opener to get me into the garage, and a door key stashed in the garage. I might be a lot of things, but locked out of my house won't be one of them!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Most of my key rings have one key on them. I don't like clumping keys up, except for my school keys. I keep my school keys on one key ring. I keep a small zippered pouch in my car. When I leave school, my school keys go in the pouch. Losing my school keys would be a nightmare. When I am done driving with students, my Chevy Impala key goes in the pouch. If I take my Forester to town instead of my Mirage, I make sure that I grab the key pouch.

Mirage key alone
    Forester key alone
    Impala (driver's ed) key alone
    School keys (outside door, classroom, gym/locker room area, locker key, school padlocks keys, locked drawer key are clumped together.
    I have a second clump of school keys that are kept in a locked drawer at school. They open cabinets, goggles case, towel dispensers, etc.....

Kawasaki Mule left in ignition
    John Deere rider left in ignition
    Bolens 4WD compact tractor left in ignition
    Honda ATV left in ignition
    Gun safe - key hidden
    House - garage door opener or house key in my key pouch (needed if electricity is out).

Side note: GM has had some major ignition issues related to heavy key rings. At least GM blames it on that

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Every vehicle I own has it's own key chain, and every key chain has the key(s) for that vehicle plus copies of every other key I need on it. These key chains are all on a little table by my front door, and I just grab the set I need when I am leaving.

So the key chain for my Explorer has both keys for that vehicle, a key for my house, a key for my screen door, a key for the Yakima roof rack, etc. The key chain for my Saab has the key for the Saab, a key for my house, a key for my screen door, etc.

This is true for all four vehicles I own. This way, if I lose my keys while driving one vehicle I don't lose the keys for ALL of the other vehicles as well (since some are expensive to replace). It also ensures that no matter which vehicle I take I will always have a house key, etc. Plus, I don't feel the need to drag around all of the keys for three cars I am NOT driving at the moment.

Like you, I don't want to be dragging around a huge wad of 'janitor keys'.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 09-21-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Micra Key
    Mirage Key
    Mailbox Key
    House Key
    Shed and Outbuilding key

So, 5.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage key/fob, 2 house keys, a key tool and a Mitsubishi keyring I picked up online. I've got separate keys for my other vehicles so I only take the ones I need. It would be nice if the Mirage key was a little smaller, but I've seen worse and at least it is pretty light.Name:  IMG_20190925_152107.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  88.5 KB

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    One Piece characters for both keys
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-09-26 Adityofx ( adityofx) • Instagram photos and videos.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  38.6 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FreeYourSOUL For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Multiple, (12 at last count) of the little bar encoded plastic cards and a War Amps recovery card. I don't mind these little cards, they're really handy when shopping or at the library or whatever.

Any other keys I have, sheds, snowblower, tool chests, gun vaults are in one of those grey wall mount boxes locked inside a safe. It's not a perfect system but it beats toting around a dozen or more keys like I used to. I'm looking to replace the Mirage key with a plain jane key as you'll read in my remote start topic.
    I drive two vehicles but have a key ring for each. Mirage has just the key fob keyless thing, house key, small master lock key for gym lock. That's it.

Tundra ring has key fob, ignition key, house key. That's all.

How do you like the burgmann's? How does one key start all three? What years do you have I was looking at thatcvs Yamaha vmax

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My keyring is pretty big... it has the new Mirage fob thing, Outlander Sport key with built in remote, wife's Yaris key (thankfully a regular metal key), my race car Yaris key (also a regular metal key), my front door, my garage door, shed, my buddy's house, and the lock box key that holds the keys for all the other random project cars that are here and at my other place. I have hooks in the house that has the keys for the Tacoma, the Avalon, my other house and it's garage, and some other random ones that I can't remember what they are for hahaha.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...