Thread: Problem: 1996 Mirage Window wiper electrical problems--"SOLVED"

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Problem: 1996 Mirage Window wiper electrical problems--"SOLVED"

There are two problems with the window washer system in my old 1996 Mirage. Main thing is that the washer pump doesn't work. I took out the fluid reservoir and pump, tested the pump direct to battery and it works. The issue must be somewhere in the wiring or contacts. All the fuses in the car are okay.

I needed to check all the wiring related to the wiper pump so I traced the wire bundle from the washer pump power cable back through the wheel well into the cabin. It looks like it should come through above and behind the fuse box. I looked under the drivers side dash but it's really, really hard to spot where the bundle comes through. Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or advice for locating these wires, preferably with the least amount of hassle?

I'm assuming this could be one of those jobs where you have to remove half of the dash.

I took out the steering wheel stalk that controls the various wiper functions, took it apart and cleaned it and put it back in but it didn't get the pump working. The contacts did look a bit gunked up and worn so I wiped the gunk out with a paper towel and blasted the contacts with contact cleaner.

Photo – https://imgur.com/a/45s7SKF

I did a bit of quick testing on the pump's power connector with a multimeter and got some odd results. I put the probes into the power connector and put the meter on continuity check. If i hold the washer stalk all the way back in there's no continuity but if i back it off and wiggle it a bit it works, but inconsistently. I tried voltage, resistance and amps but just couldn't get a reading to come up. I'm not sure if I'm testing right but it seems like there could a problem with the control stalk.

I also need to know where all the washer pump wiring is in the car. The manual doesn't say much about the physical layout of the cabling, just electrical wiring diagrams.

The second problem is that the intermittent wiper setting doesn't work. I haven't started to look into this but I'm hoping someone knows about this one as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayhame View Post
    There are two problems with the window washer system in my old 1996 Mirage. Main thing is that the washer pump doesn't work. I took out the fluid reservoir and pump, tested the pump direct to battery and it works. The issue must be somewhere in the wiring or contacts. All the fuses in the car are okay.

I needed to check all the wiring related to the wiper pump so I traced the wire bundle from the washer pump power cable back through the wheel well into the cabin. It looks like it should come through above and behind the fuse box. I looked under the drivers side dash but it's really, really hard to spot where the bundle comes through. Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or advice for locating these wires, preferably with the least amount of hassle?

I'm assuming this could be one of those jobs where you have to remove half of the dash.

I took out the steering wheel stalk that controls the various wiper functions, took it apart and cleaned it and put it back in but it didn't get the pump working. The contacts did look a bit gunked up and worn so I wiped the gunk out with a paper towel and blasted the contacts with contact cleaner.

Photo – https://imgur.com/a/45s7SKF

I did a bit of quick testing on the pump's power connector with a multimeter and got some odd results. I put the probes into the power connector and put the meter on continuity check. If i hold the washer stalk all the way back in there's no continuity but if i back it off and wiggle it a bit it works, but inconsistently. I tried voltage, resistance and amps but just couldn't get a reading to come up. I'm not sure if I'm testing right but it seems like there could a problem with the control stalk.

I also need to know where all the washer pump wiring is in the car. The manual doesn't say much about the physical layout of the cabling, just electrical wiring diagrams.

The second problem is that the intermittent wiper setting doesn't work. I haven't started to look into this but I'm hoping someone knows about this one as well.
    Hello Grayhame and welcome to the forum.

This forum is for the sixth generation Mitsubishi Mirage from 2012 to present. Though there are a few members who owned your version, there's not much about them here.

Hopefully someone will have some helpful advice for you..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayhame View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm testing right but it seems like there could a problem with the control stalk.
    As was mentioned, this forum is dedicated to newer Mirages, so there likely won't be anyone with too much expertise on earlier generations here. But it sounds like you have already diagnosed your problem, especially since you said the intermittent function was also not working. This function is almost always self-contained within the control stalk itself. A failure to actuate both the washer pump and the intermittent wipers would definitely point to a problem with the control stalk. The likely answer here is simple wear and tear on a 23-year-old part.

One question: Does the control stalk have a 'single swipe' feature? Does it work?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Time to turn it in and get a new Mirage amigo. Maybe you'll qualify for the loyalty rebate?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There should be only about 4-5 wires. Hot wire(red), Ground(black), Switch(green in diagrams), Out (blue), Diode (black). I'd look to see if you could just buy replacement wires maybe they come with instructions?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...er+switch,4856

Did you check to see if your spray nozzle is clogged? Maybe your windshield control arm is broken?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding everyone.

To answer some of the questions, yes the wipers work on continuous setting, just not on intermittent setting.

The nozzles could be clogged, I haven't checked. The main problem is power not getting to the washer pump.

I'll have to take apart the wiper stalk again and have a closer link to see if I can find a fault.

I would rather not get a new mirage, I don't like the look of them. Mitsubishi should have stuck with the original body shape, it won car of the year a couple of times I believe. The new one looks much too generic and uninspired. I don't know what it's build quality and driving experience is like though.

Name:  DFD9664F-D30E-4C81-8DDD-C0B6E237EEAE.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  19.5 KB
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-10-2019)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    There should be only about 4-5 wires. Hot wire(red), Ground(black), Switch(green in diagrams), Out (blue), Diode (black). I'd look to see if you could just buy replacement wires maybe they come with instructions?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...er+switch,4856

Did you check to see if your spray nozzle is clogged? Maybe your windshield control arm is broken?

I took the wiper stalk assembly out and had a good look at it. There was a hairline break all around one of the solder contact points. I re-flowed the solder, added some more and now everything is working again!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grayhame For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-10-2019),Fummins (12-10-2019),inuvik (12-10-2019),Marklovski (12-11-2019)

Thanks for the update!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Glad you got the problem fixed! I'm going to close this thread and update the title as "solved"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)