Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 3A92 engine with roller cam.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalliArt_Mirage View Post
    Now my questions are if the current motor can be rebuilt to run roller cams? Will it require a full head swap? How about ECU mapping to accommodate the possible cam profile changes?
    That is very good question; we wouldn't know answer until parts diagrams are out and we can go over and see what changed. Likely that cam and ECU code are different, but this is just a guess. They could have done other changes like change port cross-section MIVEC timing, etc. Perhaps it would be cheaper to return yours to stock and trade it in for 2017?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    One way to get roller cams is to get it replaced under warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    One way to get roller cams is to get it replaced under warranty.

The only way Mitsubishi would do this is if the new roller cam part and all related hardware supercedes the old cam and hardware. This I feel is a VERY, VERY long shot and not likely to occur.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (12-11-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It may be the only way for Misubishi dealers to apply warranty to the replacement parts. Otherwise, the warranty would likely be void.

Good luck with that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to make it clear roller cam is misnomer, there're no rollers on camshaft. Rollers are on cam followers, tappers.

Because rollers offer less resistance cam can use more aggressive profiles. That would require stiffer springs.

One would also wonder if roller taps are the same height, are the same valves used and if valve seats were changed to resist additional force

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    The only way Mitsubishi would do this is if the new roller cam part and all related hardware supercedes the old cam and hardware. This I feel is a VERY, VERY long shot and not likely to occur.
    Or they simply abandon the design to the point of not making or even stocking repair/replacement parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or they simply abandon the design to the point of not making or even stocking repair/replacement parts.
    Assuming that they are compatible. That would take ages junkyard pull would be a faster bet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Because rollers offer less resistance cam can use more aggressive profiles. That would require stiffer springs.

One would also wonder if roller taps are the same height, are the same valves used and if valve seats were changed to resist additional force
    I see no evidence that Mitsubishi actually changed the cam profile for this engine. There was no announcement about this. I can see that there was an increase in power produced, and the only change advertised was the roller cams - not cam profile.

MIVEC already addresses what is effectively 'cam profile'.

If you have any proof that Mitsubishi modified the cam profile for this engine, I would like to see it. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking - also known as dreaming, or making stuff up.

I found all the speculation surrounding the announcement of the 2017 Mirage amusing. People were absolutely *running* with what they thought Mitsubishi ought to improve on the car, and made it their reality. As if.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see no evidence that Mitsubishi actually changed the cam profile for this engine. There was no announcement about this. I can see that there was an increase in power produced, and the only change advertised was the roller cams - not cam profile.

If you have any proof that Mitsubishi modified the cam profile for this engine, I would like to see it. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking - also known as dreaming, or making stuff up.
    Truth is we can only speculate, and as I mentioned above your guess is as good as mine. At least until we see the part numbers on diagrams. It is not about "wishful thinking" if you consider mods to engine you need to consider possibilities. If all Mitsu changed is roller tappets and they are interchangeable with current ones, that it would be a question of buying a set of those or aftermarket if there are any.

EDIT: I think EVO used rollers question is if they are interchangeable with ones from 3A92.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 12-11-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Modify the engine and nullify the warranty. I would choose the warranty coverage, unless the two can both be had.

Again, good luck.