Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CVT transmission is having issues shifting

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I want to know how the original engine was destroyed in 20k miles. Do tell please.
    The original engine had 75K. The new (new to me from Ebay) had 14k at install, now around 20k.

All of the engine woes are related to neglect and lack of maintenance. Example : the car had a fuel pump failure, the shop that did the work called to report that no oil appeared on the dip stick and the air filter was completely clogged. When they drained the engine for the oil change they measured what came out, barely a quart! When I questioned the daughter she confessed that the oil light had only come on a couple times... She thought the light means low oil.

My interaction with the Mirage started about a year and a half ago when the AC failed. That wasn't covered by the warranty and the compressor alone was a 1000 dollars, Mitsubishi is proud of their parts and there wasn't an after market replacement.

A thank you to all that have replied. I'm not sure my course of action, it's repair is beyond my skills. I may invest in a dealer diagnostic, that will depend on the dealer shop rate. I'll keep the forum posted on the outcome.

Asks for help, answers least relevant question.
    May the forces of evil become confused on your path to success.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-16-2020),MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would recommend you and your daughter take a basic automotive class at your local tech.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Asks for help, answers least relevant question.
    May the forces of evil become confused on your path to success.
    Pardon me Mr. Fummins, which question did I miss? I'm not trying to start a flame war, neither do I want to be rude. So please tell me again and I'll try to be very specific.

I think the my main purpose of this thread was to find if others have had the same issues. It doesn't make any ugly noises i.e. grinding sounds etc. On acceleration the trans will try to up shift only to fall back a second later, this happens even through the car is continuing to accelerate.

I'm not familiar with CVT tranmissions, regular automatics and manuals are more familiar.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    I think the my main purpose of this thread was to find if others have had the same issues. It doesn't make any ugly noises i.e. grinding sounds etc. On acceleration the trans will try to up shift only to fall back a second later, this happens even through the car is continuing to accelerate.
    Normal CVT Operation
    (blank signature)

No problem, you're excused. I have a hard time reading too.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You do a fluid change yet on the CVT? This is why I wouldnt recommend any JATCO CVT vehicle for someone's kid, there's alot of dilligent maintenance to be done to get 200k miles out of it. Most teenagers arent dilligent in anything lol. I would of gotten my kid a 10 year old Corolla that she could just straight up neglect with once a year oil changes and still have it run for another 100k miles lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    The original engine had 75K. The new (new to me from Ebay) had 14k at install, now around 20k.

All of the engine woes are related to neglect and lack of maintenance. Example : the car had a fuel pump failure, the shop that did the work called to report that no oil appeared on the dip stick and the air filter was completely clogged. When they drained the engine for the oil change they measured what came out, barely a quart! When I questioned the daughter she confessed that the oil light had only come on a couple times... She thought the light means low oil.

My interaction with the Mirage started about a year and a half ago when the AC failed. That wasn't covered by the warranty and the compressor alone was a 1000 dollars, Mitsubishi is proud of their parts and there wasn't an after market replacement.

A thank you to all that have replied. I'm not sure my course of action, it's repair is beyond my skills. I may invest in a dealer diagnostic, that will depend on the dealer shop rate. I'll keep the forum posted on the outcome.
    How much total to replace the AC in the Mirage? Are you sure there's no aftermarket replacement? That really sucks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Today, Rock Auto lists two air conditioning compressors, four condensors, two evaporator cores and other associated bits for my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-17-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank you Eggman! We need a list of whats becoming more available for these Mirages.