Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My water pump is dead, any advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    ...the water pump swap went great
    ...worked perfectly until I replaced my engine
    What the !?!?!

Forget the water pump write-up and tell us the rest of the story when you can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    Sorry for the crazy late reply everyone. I've been busy with work, quarantine, and other things, but basically the water pump swap went great. I took the belt/pulley off the pump, swapped it out for the new one, and put it all back together. The pump I bought said it didn't include a gasket, but there was a suspiciously gasket-looking rubber ring around the edge. I added a thin line of blue "coolant-safe" gasket maker around the outside edge of the "not-gasket" just in case, and whether or not that was necessary it ran perfectly fine and didn't leak. I have the old pump still and while it looks fine, it grinds when I rotate the impeller so I'm guessing the bearing was shot.

The 4 pulley bolts are 10mm, and I was able to break them all loose by putting two wrenches/sockets on two bolts. For the 4th bolt, I took the other 3 halfway out and braced a wrench between them to get leverage. After taking the pulley off, there's 4 more bolts (one in each corner) holding the water pump in. I can't check right now, but they're either 10mm or 12mm. I did a few flushes with distilled water after swapping the pump, and then refilled with PEAK Asian Coolant (blue version, specifically lists Mirage). It worked perfectly until I replaced my engine last week for unrelated reasons. I'll draft up a post about that right now, though I'm pretty lacking on pictures from the whole process so I'm not sure how useful it'll be.
    What tool did you use to remove the drive axles?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Long story short, I have a radiator fan that doesn't work and had a busted engine mount, and one of those caused the block to crack. I'm literally typing up a write-up on the swap right now, hopefully I'm done soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    What tool did you use to remove the drive axles?
    I used a crowbar. The full writeup is here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...to-2015-mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've been looking for any advice, diagrams or help on replacing a thermostat on my mitsubishi mirage. I'm not sure what to remove to gain access to the thermostat housing. Thank you for any help