Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Week with Mirage- Pluses and Minuses

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    The quad (suicide) door windows open manual, but lever out at the rear only (wing windows?). Tis what it tis ... 2000 year model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I assume he means turn your car off
    DOH!! The thing is ya don't know how long the train is going to be. It was moving at a pretty good clip. Line was pretty long, yet no one got out of it and turned around. No one else turned their cars off. The location was nowhere near where a train would start. There's a stop in my town where they just inch along because it's getting started 1/4 mile away. Locals know to get out of line and take another road. So I didn't realize it would take that long.

Anyway- no biggie. Live and learn. I like the MPG. My beef now is with the chimes. Yeesh!! Take your belt off 2 seconds before ya stop and it goes off. I had my mom with me today. She's elderly. She even mentioned it. Unprompted by me. That thing is a PITA.

You could always just jump the two wires together under the seat. I think you might be able to turn it off in etacs? Maybe arieskcar(Karl) might now, he has an autel scanner similar to what I have.

At least it isn't as intrusive as my side by side, don't buckle up and the speed is limited to a walking pace. Normally not a big deal until buddy and his quad fell through some ice into a river last month. I was a ways away and unbuckled as I was racing towards him, then the dumb ass speed limiter kicked in...... I just bought a jumper harness for the seatbelt harness for when I drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    DOH!! The thing is ya don't know how long the train is going to be. It was moving at a pretty good clip. Line was pretty long, yet no one got out of it and turned around. No one else turned their cars off. The location was nowhere near where a train would start. There's a stop in my town where they just inch along because it's getting started 1/4 mile away. Locals know to get out of line and take another road. So I didn't realize it would take that long.
    Yeah, I was only be a smart-a-- or dumb-a-- (depending on your point of view) about the manual stop & go feature. If I am sitting in line for a train, drive up (bank, fast food etc...), or whatever, I will just turn the car off (not so much in the winter months).

My parents have an auto stop & go vehicle. It's just another feature I rather not have, and their GM vehicle doesn't have a switch to turn it off like some brands.

I highly doubt we would ever see auto stop & go on a manual transmission vehicle. My parents vehicle also has push button start, push button transmission selection, & electric parking brakes. I'd rather not have any of those features. Electric parking brakes is especially stupid in my opinion. In a real emergency you can manipulate things much better with manual parking brakes. Electric parking brakes are just going to lock up the wheels right away. Sometimes, they take simple things that work well & just complicate it in my opinion.

All of this is off topic, because our Mirages don't have these features. Getting off topic is not all that uncommon on this forum. It irks some, but most of us are guilty of it at times.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Wil B (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hear ya. I'll do my best to never go off topic. The squirrels I forgot to feed today don't appreciate when I do that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    The manual transmission Mirage has Auto Stop N Go, over in Europe or the Middle East ... somewhere. We don't get it in the U.S. / North America But like mentioned above, it's one of those things I don't care to have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok, this might be daft, but is the stop and go feature the thing where the car shuts off at a red light or something? I'd never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago when my friend rented a car. He didn't like it. He thought it felt weird when taking off. He showed me when he got here, and I didn't like it either. I didn't realize that's what the feature was called- Auto Stop N Go

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Ok, this might be daft, but is the stop and go feature the thing where the car shuts off at a red light or something? I'd never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago when my friend rented a car. He didn't like it. He thought it felt weird when taking off. He showed me when he got here, and I didn't like it either. I didn't realize that's what the feature was called- Auto Stop N Go
    Some may call it something else. Every time you come to stop, your vehicle shuts off. We you release the brake & go to the gas pedal the car start up automatically again.

Some companies have a switch where you can turn off the feature. My dad's GMC Terrain doesn't have a switch to turn it off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some may call it something else. Every time you come to stop, your vehicle shuts off. We you release the brake & go to the gas pedal the car start up automatically again.

Some companies have a switch where you can turn off the feature. My dad's GMC Terrain doesn't have a switch to turn it off.
    Yeah, this sort of system has been around for a while now on hybrids, but has become commonplace on many new vehicles. The first time I encountered it was on a manual transmission 2003-ish Honda Civic Hybrid that a friend of mine bought new. Freaked me out at first!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My 2013 manual Space Star has AS&G, and a switch to disable it. It works pretty well. To switch off the engine you put the transmission in neutral, and release the clutch. When you press the clutch again, the engine immediately starts, and you can put the transmission in gear, and drive away as if no AS&G was used.
    What I don't like is when it starts too soon. As soon as the board computer decides it can no longer start the engine instantaneously (due to low battery (lights an radio and ... are still on) or because the engine is cooling down, or ...) it starts the engine. And it won't shutdown again until you have driven some distance. Further if you have the A/C on auto, and the cabin temperature rises, it can also start the engine to turn the A/C. And again, it won't shutdown anymore. Instead I would like some warning time, in which you can switch off the engine if you still can't see the end of the train.

About the weird feeling, that is a matter of getting used to it. But maybe it helps that I know when it kicks in. I have to do the action of putting in neutral and releasing the clutch. Don't know how it works on a CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2021)