Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ontario (just ordered 2023 manual Mirage - never driven one)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I've still got a 98 Firefly
    Your Firefly, is it a 3 or 4 cylinder?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

It's the triple.

I owned a couple of Swifts with the 1.3, but they were just parts cars.

What was yours?

---

Nearest Mitsubishi dealer is in Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, 80 or so clicks from me,
    Ha - that's closer than my nearest dealer (Ottawa = 100 km)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's the triple.

What was yours?

---

So your comparison was Mirage VS 1.0 or 1.3 Swift?
    For example, you said Mirage has more power than 1.0 or 1.3 swift? Holding my breath, hoping its the 1.3 you were referring to ��

{Seriously though: the car is essentially a more refined Swift. Same basic formula (small, light, modest power), but quieter, safer, more creature comforts, more power, better fuel economy, with an unusually soft suspension for a small car (so it rides very smoothly). I think the Swift handled better and had more engaging steering. It'll be very interesting to see your impressions when you finally drive it.}

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's the triple.

What was yours?

---

Mine was 1.3 btw

Oh right. The 1.3 Suzuki was 79 hp. So, 1 more hp than Mirage, and 1 more torque too! (74 vs. 73).

The Swift was also a bit lighter: 1895 lbs vs. 2117

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Currently I'm driving a Toyota Tacoma, not an ideal commuter vehicle. I love it though, and plan to keep it forever, for all the other stuff I do.
    I think you will love your new Mirage. I am a big fan of the manual powertrain.

I bought a Mirage to extend the life of my Subaru Forester, which I use to tug my trailer. I would be lost without it. I also have winter ridge roads to deal with, & my AWD Forester with good snow tires is hard to beat. The other 80-90% of my driving is covered with my economical Mirage.

Your new Mirage will also extend the life of your Tacoma, & replacing a truck is not cheap these days! Since you have owned/driven small cars in the past, you will appreciate what you have shortly.

I compare my 2017 ES manual to my former 1990 Ford Festiva L manual (1.3L, 63 hp) that I drove for 14 years. The Mirage seems like a luxury hatchback by comparison. The Festiva was designed by Mazda, however. It handled better than the Mirage, but it also didn't have power steering. The electric power steering of the Mirage is its biggest downfall in my opinion, but it's not a deal breaker.

A 1990 Festiva was 1713 pounds (small two door hatchback) with 12" wheels.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-13-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I bought a Mirage to extend the life of my Subaru Forester, which I use to tug my trailer. I would be lost without it. I also have winter ridge roads to deal with, & my AWD Forester with good snow tires is hard to beat. The other 80-90% of my driving is covered with my economical Mirage.

Your new Mirage will also extend the life of your Tacoma, & replacing a truck is not cheap these days! Since you have owned/driven small cars in the past, you will appreciate what you have shortly.

I compare my 2017 ES manual to my former 1990 Ford Festiva L manual (1.3L, 63 hp) that I drove for 14 years. The Mirage seems like a luxury hatchback by comparison. The Festiva was designed by Mazda, however. It handled better than the Mirage, but it also didn't have power steering. The electric power steering of the Mirage is its biggest downfall in my opinion, but it's not a deal breaker.

Hey, I remember the Festiva, I didn't realize it was mazda derived.

What do you mean about Mirage power steering being its down fall? Is it too soft, or there are issues with it? I don't care about power steering, on a little vehicle like that i don't even think it is required.

If I could build this mirage myself, I would likely opt out of ac, and get rid of the steering wheel mounted controls, power mirrors, rear view camera and rain sensing wipers. I would also trade the power windows up front for manual ones.

What I would add on is cruise control and heated mirrors.

But then again, I'm not complaining, I'm mostly glad that a simple manual transmission car is still available.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

By the way, i drive Foresters quite often. My dad has a 2018 one, and my wife has a 2013 one. I often steal the 2013 one for my commute

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    As a former Swift owner, I think you'll like it.
    I had a few 3cyl Swifts too, but the 1.0L Mirage is much more modern and performs tremendously better on the highway.
    Also had two 1.6L 4cyl Swift (SJ416), but those were like a motor bike on four wheels.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-13-2022),MetroMPG (11-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    What do you mean about Mirage power steering being its down fall? Is it too soft, or there are issues with it?
    No issues with it, mechanically.

But it's very light (arguably over-assisted), with next to no road feel.

The 2014/15 models also had a very strange trait where the wheel wouldn't completely self-center after a turn. Very odd experience. Mitsu corrected that for the 2017 model year.

One company rep I talked to said the steering characteristics were a result of steering geometry designed for an extremely tight turning circle. But that's hogwash - the Canadian market Nissan Micra had a similarly tiny turning circle, also used electric assist, and it had normal steering characteristics & decent feedback.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-13-2022)