Thread: CARFAX Car Care -- very nice app

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CARFAX Car Care -- very nice app

Just in case you're not aware, this CARFAX Car Care app is a very nice tool to keep track of you maintenance records, MPG, and much more. I just discovered this app a couple of weeks ago while looking to purchase a Mirage. Not certain if all the maintenance updates will show up in the Carfax report -- that would handy when it's time to sell the car.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Shaft; 07-20-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    Just in case you're not aware, this CARFAX Car Care app is a very nice tool to keep track of you maintenance records, MPG, and much more. I just discovered this app a couple of weeks ago while looking to purchase a Mirage. Not certain if all the maintenance updates will show up in the Carfax report -- that would handy when it's time to sell the car.
    Looks like a pretty comprehensive program.

Do you have any concerns about the information Carfax is collecting on you? All that can be documented without the outside party data gathering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Looks like a pretty comprehensive program.

Do you have any concerns about the information Carfax is collecting on you? All that can be documented without the outside party data gathering.
    I know it's not wise but I have not thought about that. Are you concern about identity theft?

For FWIW, I provided the VIN for my cars in order to add records.
    Last edited by Shaft; 07-20-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...I provided the VIN for my cars in order to add records.
    Once you have submitted a maintenance record, are you able to go back and change it?

I've heard stories of dealerships and shops incorrectly entering the mileage into their data system when a car is serviced. Then Carfax puts that same bad odometer data in their database. It can then trigger an "odometer inconsistency" warning at Carfax when you run a Carfax report. It can be a pain in the butt to get Carfax to fix it...and it can make your car difficult to sell or trade in.

So whatever you do, make sure you don't fat-finger the odometer reading in the Carfax app!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you concern about identity theft?
    Yep, I sure am. Not just identity theft but all forms of data collecting and how companies profit from it. Carfax should pay you for the information. They will certainly charge for it when someone researches a car...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Once you have submitted a maintenance record, are you able to go back and change it?

I've heard stories of dealerships and shops incorrectly entering the mileage into their data system when a car is serviced. Then Carfax puts that same bad odometer data in their database. It can then trigger an "odometer inconsistency" warning at Carfax when you run a Carfax report. It can be a pain in the butt to get Carfax to fix it...and it can make your car difficult to sell or trade in.

So whatever you do, make sure you don't fat-finger the odometer reading in the Carfax app!
    Yes you can edit the records in the app if you need to change it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaft For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, I sure am. Not just identity theft but all forms of data collecting and how companies profit from it. Carfax should pay you for the information. They will certainly charge for it when someone researches a car...
    I'm just thinking out loud here .............. there are millions of cars for sale online with VIN accessible to anyone. Are all the previous owners of those cars in danger of theft identity since at some point in time their name was associated with a VIN that has been exposed to public? Again i'm just thinking out loud, if this does not sound right or I'm just being naive please let me know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just thinking out loud here .............. there are millions of cars for sale online with VIN accessible to anyone. Are all the previous owners of those cars in danger of theft identity since at some point in time their name was associated with a VIN that has been exposed to public? Again i'm just thinking out loud, if this does not sound right or I'm just being naive please let me know.
    Good question. My concern is not so much with identity theft but with data collecting, though I suppose identity theft could be a problem.

Data-gathering companies such as Google & Facebook are making astronomical profits by selling the data taken from their users, yet they don't pay a red cent to the users themselves. Is Carfax paying it's users for the data?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good question. My concern is not so much with identity theft but with data collecting, though I suppose identity theft could be a problem.

Data-gathering companies such as Google & Facebook are making astronomical profits by selling the data taken from their users, yet they don't pay a red cent to the users themselves. Is Carfax paying it's users for the data?
    Great point.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I got that app for both our Mirages. Very handy, I need to rotate my tires now.