Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And Another CVT problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They also (unfortunately) replaced all the brakes and charged close to $2000 for new pads,shoes, rotors and drums. Figured I'd share this so nobody ever takes there car in to the dealer for brake work. The most expensive part was the rear drums at over $300 a side.
    Given the volume of cars your company purchased, you would think a Mitsubishi dealership would go above & beyond in providing your company with excellent service. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I had one major criticism of Mitsubishi in general, it would be the leadership of the entire company. This is not a company that has their act together. Dealerships are all over the place on how they do business. I found shopping for a car to be way harder than it needed to be. Many Mitsubishi dealerships are an add on business for larger dealerships that sell several different brands. As long as you buy a car from them, they could care less what brand it is.

I want Mitsubishi to be successful, and they are growing. Having said that, they have lots of room for improvement.

Your local Mitsubishi dealership should be bending over backwards for you. Instead, they seem more interested in making a quick buck!

Last edited by Mark; 01-17-2019 at 01:58 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-14-2019),sphinxrider (02-15-2019),Tyrelirwin (01-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just got word that another Mirage is having problems with the transmission. I don't many details other than it doesn't have more than 120k kms/74500miles.
    What model year? Is your fleet all 14/15's, or do you have some newer ones, too? Just wondering if JATCO may have fixed that thrush washer issue...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Your local Mitsubishi dealership should be bending over backwards for you.
    Someone got bent over, THAT'S for sure! Brake parts are cheap as heck off of RockAuto. I don't think you could spend $500 to do all four corners...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Speaking of CVTs, I recently had a conversation with two people who drove a 2007 Nissan Versa SL and a 2009 Nissan Rogue back in the shop. The Rogue's CVT decided to pack it in while he was driving home from work, while the Versa's started going bad. Although the former had an extended powertrain warranty to replace the entire transmission, the latter's warranty had already expired. After looking at a $5,000 CDN estimate to replace the faulty CVT, she decided to scrap the entire car altogether, with over 130,000 km on the clock, and bought herself a new car, this time with a traditional 6-speed automatic. Knowing Mitsubishi and Nissan used Jatco as their transmission supplier, I wouldn't be surprised based on the number of YouTube videos I watched regarding CVT failure.
    Last edited by jtr990; 01-20-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Speaking of CVTs, I recently had a conversation with two people who drove a 2007 Nissan Versa SL and a 2009 Nissan Rogue back in the shop. The Rogue's CVT decided to pack it in while he was driving home from work, while the Versa's started going bad. Although the former had an extended powertrain warranty to replace the entire transmission, the latter's warranty had already expired. After looking at a $5,000 CDN estimate to replace the faulty CVT, she decided to scrap the entire car altogether, with over 130,000 km on the clock, and bought herself a new car, this time with a traditional 6-speed automatic. Knowing Mitsubishi and Nissan used Jatco as their transmission supplier, I wouldn't be surprised based on the number of YouTube videos I watched regarding CVT failure.
    As long as manual transmissions are still available, I will be buying them. When Subaru went from a 4-speed automatic in their Forester to a CVT, the towing capacity of the vehicle dropped from 2500 pounds to 1500 pounds. The tiny Ford Ecosport is rated to tow 2000 pounds, which isn't bad for a very small SUV. I believe part of that rating is related to the 6-speed automatic transmission in those vehicles.

I understand the logic & appeal of the CVT, but I don't feel it improves the quality of the vehicle. If I had to replace my 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X (manual), it would not be something with a CVT. Since Honda CRV & Toyota RAV4 had dropped their manual offerings years ago, it was the main reason I bought a used Subaru in 2013. My favorite vehicle was a first generation 2000 Honda CRV LX AWD (manual). It was a little quirky like the Mirage, but super dependable. Did what it was suppose to do without much flash. If it hadn't been rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe, I may be still driving it today.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-20-2019 at 07:16 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

sphinxrider (02-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Our driving school owner bought 6 new 2016 Ford Focus vehicles (CVT) for our instructors in early 2017. All of those vehicles are beginning to act up with transmission issues. I am not sold on CVT transmissions. I use a 2015 Chevy Impala Limited (very basic model) with a 6-speed automatic transmission for btw lessons, & it seems rock solid with no issues. The Impala has 2.5X more mileage on it than the Fords, & I don't expect to have any transmission issues with it. .
    For the record, Mark, the Ford Focus (2012-2018) didn't came with CVTs. It used Ford's PowerShift automatic transmission. It's essentially a 6-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission. Plus, the Toyota RAV4 still uses a traditional automatic transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    For the record, Mark, the Ford Focus (2012-2018) didn't came with CVTs. It used Ford's PowerShift automatic transmission. It's essentially a 6-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission. Plus, the Toyota RAV4 still uses a traditional automatic transmission.
    I appreciate that correction. I haven't used the Focus that much, & I wasn't that familiar with it. I edited my comment by removing that part. Sorry about that. The Ford transmissions you are referring to have their own set of problems. I've even heard reviewers of Ecosport being thankful that transmission wasn't put in it.

I also know the RAV4 has a more traditional automatic transmission as do other models out there. I like the simplicity of manuals, & I find manuals more fun to drive. My knock on all this is the push to create more fuel efficient cars and using unproven technologies (like transmissions) to achieve that. CVT are surely here to stay, and they will continue to improve. Having said that, I still prefer a manual transmission.

When I needed to replace my wrecked 2000 Honda CRV in 2013, Subaru & Jeep were the only manual transmission AWD or 4WD options available for newer vehicles. In most cases, I prefer buying low mileage vehicles that are a couple years old. Toyota/Honda AWD manual options haven't existed for quite some time.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-20-2019 at 07:22 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (01-20-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not a problem, Mark.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My knock on all this is the push to create more fuel efficient cars and using unproven technologies (like transmissions) to achieve that. CVT are surely here to stay, and they will continue to improve.
    Thankfully lots of newer efficient vehicles are switiching to a dual-clutch automatic (like my 2018 Niro), and still acheiving excellent economy without the shame of a cvt.

But transmission style will basically become a moot point with the coming shift to electric vehicles, everything will just be single speed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Thankfully lots of newer efficient vehicles are switiching to a dual-clutch automatic (like my 2018 Niro), and still acheiving excellent economy without the shame of a cvt.

But transmission style will basically become a moot point with the coming shift to electric vehicles, everything will just be single speed
    The driving school that I work part-time for bought 6 new 2016 Ford Focus vehicles in early 2017. I'm sure the owner got a good deal on them. Every one of them is having transmission problems. Every one of them is acting up, & I believe most of them are under 20,000 miles. My colleague who drives one in my hometown is really concerned about it. It's still running, but it is not running normal.

I typically drive a 2015 Impala Limited (very basic model) that has a V6 and 6-speed automatic transmission. That car seems rock solid, & it has 2.5 times more miles on it than our newer Fords. As far as Ford goes, they don't have their act together on their dual-clutch automatic transmissions. No one wants a Ford with that transmission any more, & this is what I mean by unproven technology being put out there before its thoroughly tested.

The Niro seems to be a nice vehicle. Hopefully, you'll never have any issue. I am just sharing our Ford experience. Sadly, we have 6 of them bought at the same time.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-15-2019),MetroMPG (02-14-2019),Tyrelirwin (01-21-2019)