Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone gone turbo?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone gone turbo?

I know there is a photo out there of someone in the Philippines that has a turbo but the details are non existent. Has anyone gone turbo or have any info on doing so? Speed labs supercharged kit looks interesting but for now I am I retested in low presure turbo possibilities. Ideally I would like to increase top end by 20-30 percent with my primary goal being to boost very low end power by 40 - 50 percent using a very small turbo with proper boost control. I'm thinking 6 to maybe 8 psi. Not looking for huge gains by any means just a bit more push for street driving.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Fair few Thailand mirages have gone turbo.
    Not much detail as I cannot understand Thai, I am just on a few of their facebook pages.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistah JT For This Useful Post:

gone.a (09-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i will once there is a good tuning solution availible. everything else is fairly easy to accomplish.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btavish View Post
    i will once there is a good tuning solution availible. everything else is fairly easy to accomplish.
    What are your thoughts on possible boost levels. My concern is that our cars are only port injected and have 10.5/1 compression. I'm guessing about 6-8 psi might be about it? I could be wrong but I think speedlabs supercharger was at 8psi.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    What are your thoughts on possible boost levels. My concern is that our cars are only port injected and have 10.5/1 compression. I'm guessing about 6-8 psi might be about it? I could be wrong but I think speedlabs supercharger was at 8psi.
    I would do a 7psi intercooled setup tuned to a 12.5 afr. Should make it very responsive. Not looking to race, just add to the fun factor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    PSI isn't an accurate measure of air.

And an intercooler turbo setup could easily make more power than non intercooler supercharged setup. Even at a much lower pressure ratio. Comparing the two is useless

Look specifically at CFM @ pressure and temperature, and this tells the story.

If you are truly interested in doing a turbo setup, I would buy the book "maximum boost" written by "corky bell." It's an older book but its extremely in depth and well broken down into digestible information

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (01-15-2017)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Hey, I have that book on my shelf.

My very experienced two pennies worth is that 15psi and maybe even 20psi should easily be managible so long as you have proper engine management and an experienced tuner. The early limits I forsee will be the plastic intake manifold, stock head studs, CVT transmission if equipped and then the factory rod bolts. All that should be long before you reach bottom end limitations. It's a Mitsubishi so don't underestimate the long standard of factory forged rods.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

10. The Following User Says Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

gone.a (09-28-2016)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Maximum I would go is 7psi on stock internals.
    Have a friend who works for Mitsubishi, said the mirage engine isn't built to handle much more power than it puts out, without using better quality internals.
    So many times I wish my car was turbo, the gearing is perfect for dosing past people in traffic LOL

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can anyone confirm if we have forged rods?

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm willing to bet a small fortune that the Mirage motor has at the very least forged rods. Everything Mitsubishi has put out in the past twenty years has forged rods. Not to mention forged components weight less and would have been the number one choice for use in Mirage. The pistons are a toss up. Cast pistons are better then forged pistons in a lot of ways. Not to mention Mitsubishi engineers a strong cast piston unlike for example Nissan SR-20 pistons which have weak ring lands. Although forged pistons do make a great deal more noise and the little three cylinder is indeed noisy, so there's a chance but it may just be a coincidence.

Plus I disagree with the 7psi limitation theory. The old school thinking was don't push it past half a bar (roughly 7psi) but that is derived from poor tuning options being limited by stock MAP sensors that only have half a bar left in their reach. It's never been the limit or any motor and failures at such a low boost level are 100% the fault of the builder or lack of tuning. A high pressure storm has more pressure per square inch then 7psi. My hand can hold more pressure then 7psi. These are horrible examples but so is the thought that a motor engineered this century can't hold more then 7psi. My 2.4L 10:1 compression originally NA motor is running 27psi with stock forged rods and stock cast pistons without a hickup. Stock 2.0L has run 38psi but it's tracked tuned to 32psi. The Lancer guys still say 7psi is the limit for an 02 Lancer OZ spite me running 20psi on the stock motor for years. I guess what I'm saying is that I've seen far too many NA Stock motors run more then that assumed 7psi limit that was proposed 30 years ago.

Honestly if your gonna set a limit for your self you have to shoot higher, don't gimp your self before you even start. I've set a bunch of HP records in the past cause I shoot higher then everyone else and have yet to blow a motor. I honestly think 20psi should be easy to do with proper tuning, key word proper tuning. When it come time to find out I'll progress the tune a few psi at a time and a legitimate tuner will be able to see when the motor starts to struggle and long before a failure. So in the end, it really is not going to hurt anything for me to push for 20psi. If however your tuning it your self and don't know what your doing or how to identify the limits of a motor, then that may be a diffrent story.

Sorry for the rant, but it's disappointing to see the bar being set so low when I know it should be higher. The 7psi strategy is a really safe strategy, but I wouldn't call it a limit by no means.

Hopefully I'll get the opportunity in the future to show what this little three cylinder can do. If not in my own then in some other brave souls Mirage. That will be the real moment of truth.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-17-2016),Angrybeaver (09-29-2016),Basic (09-30-2016),Gnarles2 (09-29-2016),gone.a (09-29-2016)