Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil filters

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    My 2016 Honda Rebel 250 had no oil filter. The specified oil change interval was every 4,000 miles on just under 2 quarts (1.6 quarts when changing oil). That's the oil change interval I would have used too. I'll do it however the OEM says. Most owners that care about the maintenance would change it much more frequently. Nothing wrong with that. But I just stick to the book.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My kids Cbr125 had no filter either. I think it only took 800cc of oil. I forget the change interval. It was changed every 2000km or so. The bike only had 1200km when bought and was sold with 9500km so it saw 4 changes, maybe. For a tiny motor always turning 10,000+ RPM it sure was durable.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    PG-4612 Amazon 'bout 8 bucks US, delivered. Has a fits everything list about a foot long. Dunno who makes it but looks as good as the OEM that was on tighter'n the hubs in hell..
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    PG-4612 Amazon 'bout 8 bucks US, delivered. Has a fits everything list about a foot long. Dunno who makes it but looks as good as the OEM that was on tighter'n the hubs in hell..
    PG-4612 is a $1.78 oil filter (or $10.68 for 6) @ rockauto.com, but that price does not include shipping.

https://www.pgfilters.com/about/

I use their cabin air filters quite often, because they are usually the most affordable ones rockauto.com offers sometimes.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-04-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    PG-4612 is a $1.78 oil filter (or $10.68 for 6) @ rockauto.com, but that price does not include shipping.

https://www.pgfilters.com/about/

I use their cabin air filters quite often, because they are usually the most affordable ones rockauto.com offers sometimes.
    Yes that is the rub. Rocky great price, rotten shipping = Amazon's eight bucks! Plus, with Amazon it's in the mailbox right after the send button is mashed! (I'm in the deep south and they don't "hit" or "push" buttons...they MASH them!)
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes that is the rub. Rocky great price, rotten shipping = Amazon's eight bucks! Plus, with Amazon it's in the mailbox right after the send button is mashed! (I'm in the deep south and they don't "hit" or "push" buttons...they MASH them!)
    That wasn't my main point, however. If I am paying $7-8 dollars for an oil filter, it better be a mid-grade one at least.

The PG4612 may be a low grade oil filter. Regardless of their shipping cost, Rock Auto seems to list oil filters by various grades/quality/price. $8 is a chunk of money for a low grade oil filter. RA's Quote for PG4612 -
    Designed for traditional oil change intervals 3,000-4,500 mile
    Optimal for use with conventional and synthetic blend oil
    Offers up to 96% initial efficiency

If you change your oil frequently, it's probably more than fine. It's not even claiming to be a full synthetic oil filter.

For $8.61, I can get a premium grade Fram XG7317 Ultra Synthetic oil filter @ my local Walmart. They even have two of them for $15.40 listed on line tonight. I've found most Walmart managers will honor online prices.

RA Quote for Fram Ultra Synthetic -
    With 20,000 miles of protection, drivers looking for top performance from newer engines or maximum protection for older vehicles will find the Ultra Synthetic filter to be the ideal filter at the perfect price. Engineered for all motor oil types, the Ultra Synthetic oil filter has the ultimate dual-layer synthetic media.

FRAM Ultra Synthetic is the best filter choice at the perfect price for consumers looking to get the most from their investment in full synthetic oil.

Features & Benefits:
    2-ply synthetic, metal-screen-reinforced media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.
    Media traps and holds more than double the dirt of typical retail brand oil filters.
    Rigid metal-screen support offers outstanding pressure resistance and flow spacing.

Even the $4.12 Extra Guard PH7317 is stating 10,000 mile protection & the $7.17 Tough Guard TG7317 is 15,000 miles protection. I am not pushing Fram oil filters at all, but the Ultra Synthetic is a top notch one for under $9 most of the time.

I typically buy a different brand & pay about $8 for them. They are a mid-grade 10,000 mile oil filter, & I change my oil every 5,000 miles. If I did longer intervals, I would buy their top grade oil filter for more money.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Dang, I was seriously going to make a comment about how I like how you mash buttons and pedals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That wasn't my main point, however. If I am paying $7-8 dollars for an oil filter, it better be a mid-grade one at least.

The PG4612 may be a low grade oil filter. Regardless of their shipping cost, Rock Auto seems to list oil filters by various grades/quality/price. $8 is a chunk of money for a low grade oil filter. RA's Quote for PG4612 -
    Designed for traditional oil change intervals 3,000-4,500 mile
    Optimal for use with conventional and synthetic blend oil
    Offers up to 96% initial efficiency

If you change your oil frequently, it's probably more than fine. It's not even claiming to be a full synthetic oil filter.

For $8.61, I can get a premium grade Fram XG7317 Ultra Synthetic oil filter @ my local Walmart. They even have two of them for $15.40 listed on line tonight. I've found most Walmart managers will honor online prices.

RA Quote for Fram Ultra Synthetic -
    With 20,000 miles of protection, drivers looking for top performance from newer engines or maximum protection for older vehicles will find the Ultra Synthetic filter to be the ideal filter at the perfect price. Engineered for all motor oil types, the Ultra Synthetic oil filter has the ultimate dual-layer synthetic media.

FRAM Ultra Synthetic is the best filter choice at the perfect price for consumers looking to get the most from their investment in full synthetic oil.

Features & Benefits:
    2-ply synthetic, metal-screen-reinforced media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.
    Media traps and holds more than double the dirt of typical retail brand oil filters.
    Rigid metal-screen support offers outstanding pressure resistance and flow spacing.

Even the $4.12 Extra Guard PH7317 is stating 10,000 mile protection & the $7.17 Tough Guard TG7317 is 15,000 miles protection. I am not pushing Fram oil filters at all, but the Ultra Synthetic is a top notch one for under $9 most of the time.

I typically buy a different brand & pay about $8 for them. They are a mid-grade 10,000 mile oil filter, & I change my oil every 5,000 miles. If I did longer intervals, I would buy their top grade oil filter for more money.
    I really did get your point, Mark. However, filter media aside, the inside of the OEM and the inside of these things are nearly identical in my opinion. Maybe Fram upper echelon filters are good from Walmart but I stopped looking at Fram at Walmart when they cheapened the ones I was buying by putting a plastic bypass valve in that number.

I always thought Purolator made a good product so used them for a visual reference. Many times other dealers would stock Purolator at attractive prices. Since I am changing at the 3750 mile interval the differences in filter media takes second place behind price and availability. And convenience....
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really did get your point, Mark. However, filter media aside, the inside of the OEM and the inside of these things are nearly identical in my opinion. Maybe Fram upper echelon filters are good from Walmart but I stopped looking at Fram at Walmart when they cheapened the ones I was buying by putting a plastic bypass valve in that number.

I always thought Purolator made a good product so used them for a visual reference. Many times other dealers would stock Purolator at attractive prices. Since I am changing at the 3750 mile interval the differences in filter media takes second place behind price and availability. And convenience....
    Oil filters have somewhat evolved in recent years. More vehicles recommend synthetic oil & longer change intervals.

Even Purolator has changed their oil filter line up somewhat. Fram Ultra-Synthetic, Mobil 1 or whatever else are not what I would consider Walmart oil filters, even though Walmart & others sell them.

I often refer to Walmart because I live near a town of 5,000, and Walmart is the only larger store (only grocery store) in my county. If I am buying grocery, toilet paper, motor oil, or whatever, it's most likely coming from Walmart. We have a lack of other options besides online purchases (which I do often) and long drives to larger towns/cities.

I think your 3,750 oil change interval trumps a more expensive oil filter.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oil filters have somewhat evolved in recent years.
    I think your 3,750 oil change interval trumps a more expensive oil filter.
    I Agree!! I think the use of oil filters are over rated. My Volkswagen has a bigger engine(1.5L) holds less oil (Max 2.5Liters) & has never had an Oil Filter. VW recommended regular oil changes (5000 km or 3000mi) & so far I've followed that. I think if you do regular service it's more important then what filter you use. Any filter is better then none, but I can say that a filter that has a color you like is probably a good one

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-09-2023),Mark (03-09-2023)