Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vee Rubber City Star tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Here is the thread from 2017 where these tires are discussed.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...V312-165-65R14
    That's what nice about this forum. 165/65r14 tires are a bit rare, & it's nice when others share their experiences. Let's face it, 165/65r14 makes a person consider tire brands you may not be as familiar with.

My short list is
    Federal SS657
    Vredestein Quatrac 5
    Nokian Nordman 7

Still researching
    Nexen N-Priz AH5
    Kumho Solus TA31

For what is worth, White Bear Mitsubishi lists the Nexen & Kumho tires for the same price. They are slightly less than the Vredestein they also sell. Just a fyi for readers - White Bear installs Kumho, Nexen, Vredestein, Bridgestone, & Dunlop (both Enasave & Winter Maxx 2) for their Mirage customers. I share this, because I don't see White Bear installing something that would make their customers unhappy or disappointed. Selling crap tires wouldn't do much for their image.

I've never noticed the Kumho anywhere until recently - Simpletire.com has information on them, but 165/65r14 are out-of-stock. Kumho is a legit tire company. Some KIA Soul vehicles come with this tire stock.

https://simpletire.com/kumho-p165-65r14-2172023-tires

Apparently, White Bear has found a supplier for 165/65r14 Kumho tires. It's a new listing for them.

The Federal SS657 tires are probably going to undercut everything else listed above in price, but good deals on some of the others may appear, too!

If you live in a northern climate, must deal with snow/ice, & aren't using snow tires, I would lean toward the Vredestein Quatrac 5. It's why I may try them next regardless of other options out there.

Last edited by Mark; 09-01-2019 at 04:02 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    so far the consensus is against the city star's. also according to a post in the link cobrajet shared, (thank you) the kumho's have been out of stock for almost 2 years now. not expecting them to be available any time soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    so far the consensus is against the city star's. also according to a post in the link cobrajet shared, (thank you) the kumho's have been out of stock for almost 2 years now. not expecting them to be available any time soon.
    i have 4 175's now. i picked up 3 nails in one of the rear tires the other day and got a decent used 175 for free from a chain tire shop that sells at a discount. i will probably wait until it gets snowy and buy some studded winter tires. ive even considered snow chains some days.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I would, and I have, especially if they will price match. Even if they won't price match but will get close. I would opt for the professionals at my dealership and help them keep their brick-and-mortar store in business. But that's just me.

There are hidden risks in always choosing the lowest cost.
    Those tires look terrible, look at that promo photo. Oval shaped tires? Wow now I have heard of everything.

I take my Mitsubishi Mirage for service at my local Ford dealer. My old Mitsubishi dealer honestly changed hands, and seems shifty now. All-new staff. No more Jaguar/Mitsubishi combo dealer and garage. They were expensive but I trusted them. I don't even trust the new dealer at all.

So I stay away from them now after my warranty issue with my starter. Not the same store I bought my Mirage from in 2014. They can do the free warranty work, that's it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Those tires look terrible, look at that promo photo. Oval shaped tires? Wow now I have heard of everything.
    studies show the oval shape helps with lrr and stopping

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    studies show the oval shape helps with lrr and stopping
    Not what I'd deem general knowledge, so good to learn something new.

I was going by the other red flags for a potential poor quality tire. Have you ridden them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not what I'd deem general knowledge, so good to learn something new.

I was going by the other red flags for a potential poor quality tire. Have you ridden them?
    no, i couldnt find oval wheels

9. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    no, i couldnt find oval wheels
    I'd be seering clear of these tires. Like inuvik and cobrajet and other users have said, this brand is one to stay away from. How does this stuff even end up being sold in the US in the first place?

I've had Dunlops and I've had Bridgestones on my Mirage, and I have a gently used set of Dunlops 165 14's in my garage for next year.

I may pick up a pair of Nokian winters, the non-studded ones unfortunately. Should help with winter driving.
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-01-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I'd be seering clear of these tires. Like inuvik and cobrajet and other users have said, this brand is one to stay away from. How does this stuff even end up being sold in the US in the first place?

I've had Dunlops and I've had Bridgestones on my Mirage, and I have a gently used set of Dunlops 165 14's in my garage for next year.

I may pick up a pair of Nokian winters, the non-studded ones unfortunately. Should help with winter driving.
    This Canadian site has 14 different types of 165/65r14 tires, & the majority of them are winter tires.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/165-65R14

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This Canadian site has 14 different types of 165/65r14 tires, & the majority of them are winter tires.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/165-65R14
    if you filter by what is available you get only two options a Dunlop winter Maxx and a Bridgestone potenza