Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Battery Project

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Nope.

I'm a fan of keeping things as simple, light and cheap as possible.

$30 battery. No frills. It gets the job done.

I won't lie, though. I have had to use my jump pack a couple times. Usually if I drive the car at night and/or in the rain, and then park it for a week. Or if I start the car a couple times without actually DRIVING it to get some charge into the battery. Something like that. As long as I drive the car every 3-4 days, it starts every time.

Of course, I only paid about $22 for a little Lithium jump pack. So, I'm still in for less than half the cost of a standard car battery. And the weight reduction, as noted, is huge.
    You do realize having your charging system in the car having to recharge your battery is hard on the charging system (alternator) and will probably shorten its life vs a larger battery that stays in a more full state of charge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You do realize having your charging system in the car having to recharge your battery is hard on the charging system (alternator) and will probably shorten its life vs a larger battery that stays in a more full state of charge.
    The alternator is going to have the same draw when the car is running regardless of battery size because the electrical devices that consume power don't care if the battery has 250cca or 750cca. Technically you don't need a battery to run the car. It's only necessary to start the car. Once you have it started you could remove the battery, wrap the unconnected terminals in electrical tape and as long as you don't need to shut the car off you're fine. Of course 99.9% of people aren't going to remove the battery completely. So once the voltage regulator recharges the starting battery the alternator provides the power for the electrical load. So other than starting the car (and providing a power reserve to run electrical items while the engine isn't running) having the smallest battery possible to start the car is going to save weight and reduce alternator load due to faster recharging times.
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-02-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: clarification

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-02-2019),Loren (05-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The amount of power required to start the engine is independent of the battery size.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The amount of power required to start the engine is independent of the battery size.
    My 1st mode of transportation was a Yamaha XS400. No battery. Kick start & away you go! Maybe the Mirage should have come with a hand crank?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Once you have it started you could remove the battery, wrap the unconnected terminals in electrical tape and as long as you don't need to shut the car off you're fine.
    Please don't tell people this, a battery is required on our computer controlled cars as it acts as a shock absorber / capacitor for changes in electrical loads. If you run a modern car without a battery, the voltage spikes from the regulator trying to change for electrical load may / will fry sensitive equipment (EG ECU, Dash, ATC, etc ) it can't act fast enough.. Also since some alternators are computer controlled, if the battery is missing it may result in many drive ability issues, codes etc. I wouldn't tell this to anyone, especially on an Internet form as someone may try it to gain a few MPG & toast his dash / computer etc...

Just My Opinion,,, Roger
    Last edited by klroger; 05-02-2019 at 09:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

daleWV (05-03-2019),poorman1 (05-03-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My 1st mode of transportation was a Yamaha XS400. No battery. Kick start & away you go! Maybe the Mirage should have come with a hand crank?
    The XS 400 had a CDI ignition system & carburetors, A totally different system....

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I'm pretty sure that trying to competitively autocross my Mirage is going to shorten the life of many various components of the car vs. not doing so. You've clearly missed the whole point of this exercise.

I swapped the battery for one reason and one reason only: To reduce weight with the goal of being more competitive in autocross.

If I blow an alternator, I can get a used one for $50. I'm not worried about it.

To put that into perspective, I've burned through $500 worth of tires in the past 6 months. It's a hobby, it costs money.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-03-2019),LetItMarinate (05-07-2019)

Might have to move post #11 to the first page?
    Attachment 14511

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The alternator is going to have the same draw when the car is running regardless of battery size because the electrical devices that consume power don't care if the battery has 250cca or 750cca. Technically you don't need a battery to run the car. It's only necessary to start the car. Once you have it started you could remove the battery, wrap the unconnected terminals in electrical tape and as long as you don't need to shut the car off you're fine. Of course 99.9% of people aren't going to remove the battery completely. So once the voltage regulator recharges the starting battery the alternator provides the power for the electrical load. So other than starting the car (and providing a power reserve to run electrical items while the engine isn't running) having the smallest battery possible to start the car is going to save weight and reduce alternator load due to faster recharging times.
    You didnt address the point I was making. Having a dead battery over and over and jusmp starting it requires the cars charging system to charge that dead battery. It's hard on the system and will shorten its life. But Loren stated he doesn't car as this is his hobby car so no harm no foul.

And I know a car runs and drives without a battery. I had my battery crap out in my old Mustang gt so I disconnected it and had a buddy push me and popped the clutch and drove the 15mi home.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I think this thread is about someone using a motorcycle battery to start their car. They are interested in reducing the weight of their car for racing purposes & not much else. If you aren't interested in racing your Mirage or seeing it shed a few pounds, I don't see the point about arguing about all this?

Personally, I hate motorcycle batteries. Motorcycles, UTVs, & ATVs all have them. They can be expensive for what they are, but some are surely better than others. Personally, I've considered going the other direction with my Kawasaki Mule. The next time the motorcycle battery dies in my Mule I want to replace it with a cheaper, larger riding lawnmower battery. These batteries are typically $25-40 and available most anywhere for that price.

My 2006 Mule and 1993 John Deere (Kawasaki engine) riding mower have very similar engines. I've heard of others making some adaptations & going with lawnmower batteries on their UTVs , too.

I once kick started my Honda ATV for two years straight, because I got tired of replacing the battery every couple years. Adding a motorcycle battery to my Mirage is of no interest to me. Thus, I shouldn't even be here commenting!

I'll move on to another thread now.