Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Valve noise on start-up!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    My Volkswagen doesn't even have an oil filter. It has 97,000 miles on it & it doesn't burn oil... Are we over thinking the whole filter thing??? Or what???
    That is an interesting thought. And yes, I think it is being over-thought. Choose any quality filter, and I believe you're fine. However, I don't blame anyone for choosing the one they think is the best. I may have a look around and see if I can find one of the ones being talked about that eliminates or shortens the rattling sound.

I have a 2016 Honda Rebel 250 toy. It holds 1.6 - 1.8 quarts. I just ran it 145 miles to my dad's house (loaded into the back of his truck and brought them both back). Out that 145 miles, probably 130 miles was on the interstate at WOT the whole time.

That bike also has no filter. And at WOT (~72 mph ± 8 mph depending on terrain). When I drain it, the oil looks good. But the caveat is, I don't put by maybe 2,500 miles on it before I change the oil. However, at the speed I was doing, it was probably turning 7,500 rpm - 8,500 rpm the whole 130 miles on the interstate. That reminds me ... maybe I should go change that oil!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That is an interesting thought. And yes, I think it is being over-thought. Choose any quality filter, and I believe you're fine. However, I don't blame anyone for choosing the one they think is the best. I may have a look around and see if I can find one of the ones being talked about that eliminates or shortens the rattling sound.

I have a 2016 Honda Rebel 250 toy. It holds 1.6 - 1.8 quarts. I just ran it 145 miles to my dad's house (loaded into the back of his truck and brought them both back). Out that 145 miles, probably 130 miles was on the interstate at WOT the whole time.

That bike also has no filter. And at WOT (~72 mph ± 8 mph depending on terrain). When I drain it, the oil looks good. But the caveat is, I don't put by maybe 2,500 miles on it before I change the oil. However, at the speed I was doing, it was probably turning 7,500 rpm - 8,500 rpm the whole 130 miles on the interstate. That reminds me ... maybe I should go change that oil!
    Just a quote related to the Honda Rebel -

"The fact that it has no filter is what leads many Rebel 250 owners to change the oil more frequently than Honda recommends. Some also install magnetic oil plugs in an attempt to remove circulating bits of ferrous metal." Aug 13, 2011

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Are we over thinking the whole filter thing??? Or what???
    I thought that's what we do here!

Any filter is better than none.

The sky is still falling?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bagdatli View Post
    Hello everyone, first entry here:

My ears caught an unwanted, relatively higher pitched ticking noise in my Mirage @18k km's when idling is the most definite. When clutch pedal pressed, the noise is getting less present. Here is a YouTube video clip I just captured. I just completed an oil change at Mobil1 but nothing has changed since then.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f11pl8WEVDQ

Thanks for the responses in advance,

bagdatli

Sounds like the standard sewing machine idle to me. I didn't hear anything unusual. Of course my hearing isn't the best, lol. Let's see if anyone else hears something.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Guys, there have been almost no reports of major engine problems with the 3A92 unless we are talking about really high-kilometerage cars from up north in Hockeyland. Even abused engines take a while to die.

"I have 14k miles on my Mirage and I heard a ticking sound! I heard a tapping noise! I thought I heard a click!" Everyone just take a breath.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm a multi-patented design engineer. One of my patents was from my time spent working for Toyota at their Technical Center in Michigan as a design engineer. So, I'll talk to myself about it. Just talked to myself, and I don't agree. Not all noise is detrimental.
    I do that a lot m'self! Complete conversations!

We have had three KIA with variable valve timing. All three had noisy "valves" at cold trart-up. Noise never changed and never had any other symptoms.

Do these Mirage engines require valve clearance adjustment/checking? No hydraulic lifters?
    Karl

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    this guy also heard a noise then conrad 3 comes flying on the torque converter... Name:  FotoCollage_20211123153848567[1].jpg
Views: 421
Size:  89.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Listened intently to our Mirage start up this morning. Upon firing there are three distict "knocks" that sound more like detonation than anything. More like a diesel on starting. Then smooth idle of a Yanmar diesel with a little valve noise.
    Karl

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Listened intently to our Mirage start up this morning. Upon firing there are three distict "knocks" that sound more like detonation than anything. More like a diesel on starting. Then smooth idle of a Yanmar diesel with a little valve noise.
    As long as they don't sound like a 353 Detroit diesel, you're good, but I'd listen to a 2 stroker Detroit at Full Throttle all day & never complain

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)