Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turning off traction control

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

turning off traction control

(Admin note: split these posts from another thread.)

===

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I just had an opportunity yesterday to test the Mirage's acceleration with my CVT. I was on a four lane city street that merged down to two lanes right after the light. The left lane had a line of cars and the right lane had no cars in it. So I rolled up to the light in the right hand lane and there was a Spark in the left lane first in line. He looked at me with a "you jerk" look and I could see the Spark move ahead a little like he was throttle braking slightly to make sure he wouldn't let me in at the merge.

I put the Mirage in "B", turned the traction control off and watched for the light to turn yellow on the other light. Applied the brake with my left foot and gave a little throttle (about 1200 rpm). Green light, floored it and took my foot off the brake. The Spark must have had a CVT too because he did the same thing.

The Spark pulled ahead for about 1/2 a car length but the 3A92 is eager to rev and spooled up to 6000 rpm's almost immediately. I could hear the Spark's crappy 4 cylinder slowly revving as I went by. Absolutely smoked him.
    It is impossible in the Mirage to switch the traction control off. This must be fake although it is not difficult at all to floor a Spark.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    It is impossible in the Mirage to switch the traction control off. This must be fake although it is not difficult at all to floor a Spark.
    US models have a traction control off switch

Page 5-50 of the US manual: "Using the “ASC OFF” switch turns off boththe stability control function and the tractioncontrol function. "
    Last edited by inuvik; 12-23-2015 at 01:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (12-23-2015),MetroMPG (12-31-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And I've proven it works (and off works too). I was playing in the sand and forgot to turn it off. Car stalls out every time. Turned it off and play time started.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Ah OK thanks, on EU models this is not possible (I even asked my dealer) there is no ASC switch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya my dealer didn't even know that it worked as in other cars just pressing it turns off traction control. The first day I had my car I thought to myself, "self, try holding in the button". Sure enough, holding in the button for 3 seconds turns it off and rewards you with a trac off dash light!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Unhappy traction control button

Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Ya my dealer didn't even know that it worked as in other cars just pressing it turns off traction control. The first day I had my car I thought to myself, "self, try holding in the button". Sure enough, holding in the button for 3 seconds turns it off and rewards you with a trac off dash light!
    But there is no traction control button..... not in my car. Nowhere! Oddly enough, there is a traction contol off warning light. And that even works when you turn on the ignition. But there is no traction control button at all. As said, I asked my dealer and he stated that it is impossible to turn traction control off. So I think the EU models and US models are different here. Maybe it is legislation. In the EU all cars must have traction control as of 2015, so it might even be illegal to have the possibility to turn it off (but I am not certain of that).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wonder if you wired in a switch like ours if the programming is there to turn it off. I find that quite likely.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    X
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I wonder if you wired in a switch like ours if the programming is there to turn it off. I find that quite likely.
    Might require MUT programming too

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    But there is no traction control button..... not in my car. Nowhere! Oddly enough, there is a traction contol off warning light. And that even works when you turn on the ignition. But there is no traction control button at all. As said, I asked my dealer and he stated that it is impossible to turn traction control off. So I think the EU models and US models are different here. Maybe it is legislation. In the EU all cars must have traction control as of 2015, so it might even be illegal to have the possibility to turn it off (but I am not certain of that).
    Try pulling the fuse

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    You can turn off traction control even while driving down the highway. Surprised the system let you do that. My Jeep you had to be in park in order to disable it and then once you hit 30mph overrode the defeat and enabled traction control again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)