Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan Versa Note (vs. Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Nissan Versa Note (vs. Mirage)

I know this may sound like heresy, but hear me out. I'm comparing the 2015 Nissan Versa Note to a 2015 Mirage. Tell me what you know, good or bad. Talk me out of the Note if you want/can. I like the looks, & it has a ton of room in the back seat area. Comes with an arm rest, no alloy wheels, climate control, does have bluetooth, on the SV model I'm looking at. Only comes with CVT on this model. Mileage not quite as good. Rated at 31 mpg city, 40 hwy, with some ppl claiming better on their forum. Less warranty. Give me some good ammo to talk me out of it. Don't tell me to reread what I've already written.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For one thing it's Higher in Price! And you get a lot more in a Mirage for a lot less of a Price! Plus you get a better and longer warraunty!!!! Support Mitsubishi!!!!!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

The Note also handles better out of the box than the Mirage (front & rear factory stabilizer bars are standard, if I'm not mistaken).

And it can't be beat for rear seat room. Though the Mirage has shockingly good rear seat room for its size. (But how often are you going to be riding in the back? )

I prefer the styling of the Note too. Though that's entirely subjective.

Fuel economy: the manual Note's mileage can equal or beat the higher-rated Note automatic when driven moderately, just like the Mirage. Trivia: the Note uses the same Jatco CVT as the Mirage.

I've spent some time in the Canadian market Nissan Micra, which has the exact same mechanicals as the Note. Same platform, same engine, same manual trans, many shared interior components. My results:

- Nissan 1.6L, 5-speed manual: 47 mpg US over 766 miles / 5.0 L/100 km over 1234 km of mixed driving

Compare to the 5-speed Mirage I had for a couple of weeks:

- Mirage 1.2L, 5-speed maual: 54 mpg US = 4.36 L/100 km over 1478 km / 918 miles of mixed driving

Mileage notes: I drove the Mirage harder/faster than the Nissan, but in each car I was generally using eco-driving techniques. (A typical driver won't see those numbers in either car, less so in the Nissan.) Also, the Micra is smaller/lighter than the Note, so the Note's numbers won't be quite as good as those I posted.

In the Mirage's favour: fuel economy, warranty, features, price.

But the big one for me? The Mirage is the Metro's spiritual successor and all it represents: lightness & efficiency by design. And I get such a kick out of Mitsu's 3-banger - more than Nissan's powerful (109 hp) 1.6L four. The Mirage has more character. The only thing I don't really like about it (body roll) can be fixed in the aftermarket for a couple hundred bucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

DirectNova (09-11-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    I understand they have engine problems. Perhaps they have it sorted out by now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I know this may sound like heresy, but hear me out. I'm comparing the 2015 Nissan Versa Note to a 2015 Mirage. Tell me what you know, good or bad. Talk me out of the Note if you want/can. I like the looks, & it has a ton of room in the back seat area. Comes with an arm rest, no alloy wheels, climate control, does have bluetooth, on the SV model I'm looking at. Only comes with CVT on this model. Mileage not quite as good. Rated at 31 mpg city, 40 hwy, with some ppl claiming better on their forum. Less warranty. Give me some good ammo to talk me out of it. Don't tell me to reread what I've already written.
    The biggest issue I see with the Versa & the Micra is the engine. A quote from the Versa forum recently: "hr16de knocking since brand new here.
    is a very common problem on new versas, versas note and micra.
    nissan is replacing engines, also a guy on canada has his engine replaced and the new engine has the knock also.
    problem is crankshat or rod bearing at cylinder 2, there is not official report from nissan, but when disconecting cylinder 2 the knock is greatly reduced." This is a chronic issue that Nissan isn't addressing. That's a non starter for me. The Mitsubishi 3a92 engine is light years ahead in reliability compared to the Nissan hr16de. There was a link to the Micra forum on a recent post which has a lot of detail and bad experiences with the 1.6

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

A better mileage comparison: it'd be worthwhile digging at Fuelly to see what 1.6L Note drivers are getting on average, vs. Mirage owners in our fuel log.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I understand they have engine problems. Perhaps they have it sorted out by now.
    In the Canadian 2015 Micra community (same HR16DE engine), a few owners with the knock have gotten warranty relief (new engines) while a few others have been denied (even though they swear they can produce the knocking noise).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So you should go for the 2017 Mirage and all those things will be Fixed! The soft ride from the rear springs wasn't that big of a Deal unless you had 4 Adults in the car. But two adults and two kids it isn't to bad . But as you can see on this Forum a lot of people have improved that. And as for the Body Roll it's Not that noticeable unless your trying to go at High speeds around corners. The car is designed for MPGS and for transportation.if people Drive the mirage with fuel Economy minded not like a Race Car like Nissan promotes, they will love the mirage. No where did Mitsubishi say or Advertised that the Mirage was Designed to be Super Fast.
    Last edited by debburyl; 09-10-2015 at 09:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I love Nissan and Mitsubishi, but I'd still go with the Mirage again, in fact we love it so much, we're buying a second one... <3

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. I do like that the Mirage is the first cousin is the Metro. Didn't know they were having problems with the engines. I did know people were complaining about the cvt trans tho. If it is the same one that's in the Mirage, then should we be worried???? (Those that have a CVT) People on the Versa forum are beating the EPA numbers, as are a lot of you here, with the beloved Mirage. I have reserved one from Enterprise rental tomorrow, for the weekend & I'll put it through the paces. Can't find anybody renting a Mirage yet & I didn't want to ask the dealer for an extended test until I'm closer to a final decision. Keep the info coming please & thank you.