Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Developing a short shifter

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    @Daox How much was the bottom part of the shaft lengthened by? What was the diameter (preferably metric but I can convert from imperial) of the shaft? I ask these two questions because I'm thinking of doing this mod but instead of shortening the top end of the shaft, I was thinking of just lengthening the bottom by cutting it and inserting the same diameter piece of rod for the extra length. It would still be two welds but I'm thinking that maybe shortening the top end might be too much. I'm interested how the test run comes out. Is the axis on the shift rod fixed? I would assume so but was wondering if there were a way to unfasten it and slide it up or down to adjust and then re-fasten it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Kineo,

I essentially removed 1.25" (32mm) from the top, and added it to the bottom. I'll have to get back to you on the shaft diameter as I don't have it on hand at the moment to check.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This past weekend I got together with Spork and we installed the short shifter on her car. It went quite smooth and wasn't a difficult procedure. You can see the full write up on how to do the install here:

DIY short shifter installation

As for feedback on it, I got a brief drive before hand and afterwards. It definitely was not nearly enough to get used to things. Spork has only had the car for a couple weeks now too. She can add her thoughts if she wishes. She went into this not expecting to keep the shifter, but decided to give it a try knowing we can swap the old one back in if she wants. Also, this is on a brand new Mirage with less than 1k miles on the odometer, so everything was still getting broken in.

Personally, I thought the stock throw distance wasn't too bad at all. Its definitely shorter than the Chevy Metro I daily drive. I like the bit of notchy-ness in the action. It gives you a positive feel to know what gear you're in and what you're going into. The Metro's shifter is more vague and I'm not a fan of that.

The short shifter enhances the notchy-ness a bit more. It takes a tiny bit more effort to shift, but not bad at all IMO. The new throw is quite short. I think a 40% reduction is a bit much, others may love it. I would probably back it down to ~30% reduction if I were to make one for myself. For example, when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd I knew I had gone to 3rd, but I couldn't totally feel the shifter move over as much as I'd like to. Thus, it lost some of the positive feel there. I have no doubt that I'd get totally used to it, just keep in mind I'm coming from the Metro. I didn't try to jam through the gears as it was a brand new car. The short throw really does give you the feel that you're shifting faster. It seems like a flick of the wrist gets you to your next gear which I do definitely like.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-21-2016),fc321 (05-27-2018),Kineo (03-21-2016),mitsumi (03-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Thanks for sharing the details!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I think a 40% reduction is a bit much, others may love it. I would probably back it down to ~30% reduction if I were to make one for myself.
    Thank you for that review. Granted that it was a short test drive, I like the feedback you reported. Thank you, also, for letting me know the length you cut. I don't have much time to play around with the Scootabout so don't worry about the diameter. I'll measure when I do decide to open it up. That's no biggie.

Since I don't remember offhand the formula you used to calculate throw reduction, I'm going to postulate something. If I were to just add 32 mm to the bottom, I'm guessing the throw reduction would be roughly 30% more or less. Does that sound about right to you? I'm with you on the 30% reduction and that's what I'd be aiming for except that I like the height of the shifter, as is.

Another technical question I have is how far above the knob did you cut the shaft on the bottom end? I ask because I'm an amateur welder and I saw that you beveled the edges for a solid weld and was wondering how much to cut above the notched part. How did you jig it to weld the shaft plumb. As said before, if I took it apart I could probably figure it out but I'm trying to save time for when I dig in and do it and I don't have a plethora of experience at jigging, other than welding same size pieces together at different angles or straight. The knob presents another level of difficulty.

*Edit: One more question, is the shaft tapered on the bottom end at all, other than the tapering for the ball joint?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just made another one of these for Qrush. It turned out pretty nice.

Name:  IMG_20180527_074856106.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  96.7 KB

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-27-2018),fc321 (05-27-2018),inuvik (05-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    (rubs hands in gleeful expectation). also ordered shifter bushings and a brand new weighted knob. should see quicker, more crisp shifts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am interested in this...How much is the shifter??
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got my Daox shift kit. Came quickly as ordered. Quality welds and finish. Installed via the DIY.

Added shifter bushings/AMS.01.03.0109-1
    Name:  AMS-01-03-0109-1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  37.4 KB

Added weighted knob/BXAC-00212
    Name:  blox-racing-original-neo-finish-type-r-shift-knob-5-speed-10-x-1-25mm-13.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  12.0 KB

Definitely a shorter throw. A lot less play moving through the gears. Shifts are crisp and more defined. Has a real solid, performance feel to it. I am very happy with the results.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-07-2018),MetroMPG (06-07-2018),Top_Fuel (06-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great to hear!