Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Price check

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The ad has been deleted. Looks like it has sold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The ad has been deleted.
    It's back...at a reduced price!

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/...925818412.html

I will say this much... If you ever want to sell me a salvage title vehicle, you'd better have "before" pictures showing what damage the vehicle originally had. This car may be worth $6K to the right person who doesn't care about a warranty.

Name:  G44.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  84.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    To be fair, all of the panels on the rear appear to line up just fine. Normally, I can very quickly spot a car that has had it's body/subframe straightened out by an amateur and simply had replacement sheet metal hung on it.

If I needed to replace my work car on-the-cheap I'd consider something like this. IF I could get it insured. Yes, resale would be bad, but resale is bad on these cars anyway and I am getting a 50% discount on the purchase price versus buying new. This is an ES with the alloy wheel/Android package, and is a CVT. It's not a 5-speed stripper, so MSRP would be about $16,000. It is a nice color, too! Given my experience with these cars, the lack of warranty would mean very little to me...especially on a car with less than 2,000 miles on it.

It is literally "barely broken in". And these cars never break anyway.

I wonder what the situation was with Geico, though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's wild. I checked to see if it was reposted before making my post. Talk about timing.

I would go look at it if I were in the neighborhood. I'm not sure I would buy it since it doesn't have a 5-speed, auto climate control or FAST system. Those features, those creature comforts are what really make my Speck shine and I'm so glad I got them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's wild. I checked to see if it was reposted before making my post. Talk about timing.

I would go look at it if I were in the neighborhood. I'm not sure I would buy it since it doesn't have a 5-speed, auto climate control or FAST system. Those features, those creature comforts are what really make my Speck shine and I'm so glad I got them.
    The fast key push button start is soooo nice and you dont realize it until you live with it awhile. When we had the outlander sport as a loaner it had no push button and it was annoying digging into my pocket filled with stuff to fish out the key. I'd imagine a women with a purse would like push start even more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The fast key push button start is soooo nice and you dont realize it until you live with it awhile. When we had the outlander sport as a loaner it had no push button and it was annoying digging into my pocket filled with stuff to fish out the key. I'd imagine a women with a purse would like push start even more.
    It's a fine convenience that in my opinion is worthy. I guess those who don't have it won't experience it's benefits in order to understand its worth.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    It's a fine convenience that in my opinion is worthy. I guess those who don't have it won't experience it's benefits in order to understand its worth.
    I think the point is being missed somewhat. They sell 5 trim levels in the U.S. Each year they add more standard features. The difference between an ES, RF, LE, SE, & GT has been reduced. I thought a 2017 ES was pretty loaded with features when I bought one. By today's standards, the 2020 ES may still be considered a basic car? It still doesn't have auto stop start, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, automatic braking, parallel parking assist etc....

None of that stuff interests me. Personally, i think the electronics in a car (along with cell phones) has created the need for features like lane departure warning, automatic braking. There are to many distractions in today's vehicles.

If you forget to turn your car off, someone is coming out with a feature for that now, too! I recently watched someone getting a good laugh off of that one. If you are to lazy to turn off your car, no worries!

I would embrace any company that make basic, dependable transportation at an affordable price. I am not impressed by all these new features. The lack of manual transmission options is ever more disheartening. Who truly needs a $100,000 Chevy pickup next year?

I don't care for the American Auto market in general. When car critics go on & on about the electronics of a car, I lose total interest. Apparently, I am not the norm. Even a basic Mirage may be to much to wish for in today's market.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage is simply loaded with features for the small, economy car that it is. I think it is a good value in the market at all trim levels. Pick the one that suits best and enjoy.

Maybe not the one being sold in this ad though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2014 ES that I bought with a salvage title. I got it from a guy that buys salvage cars and fixes them up for resale. I knew what I was getting into, because he sold it to me before doing any repairs. Drivers fender was damaged, both drivers doors and rear quarter panel. I picked up a fender and drivers door, and hung them both myself in about an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hrs. I then turned it over to my body guy who straightened the rear door and quarter, then completely repainted the whole car. Had 38k when I bought it. I think I have about $5,000 in it. I have State Farm insurance, and had no problem getting full coverage on it. Yes, I called them before buying it. Lol

Now for the downside. Some 2014's were blessed with a starter grinding issue. Seems the fix is to replace the "updated" starter, the flywheel, and starter dowel pins. Completely covered issue on "normal" cars. Not on my specially blessed, non warranted "salvage" vehicle. About once a month, I get a God awful grinding when the starter doesn't properly engage. In the US, safety recalls still have to be done by the dealer, free of charge.

I would not buy a late model salvage vehicle just because of the warranty issue. Suppose you got a bad trans, engine, or rear axle.
    "Uhm... Sorry Mr. Customer, you're not covered for that. We will allow you $3,000 trade in on a new one tho."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I have a 2014 ES that I bought with a salvage title. I got it from a guy that buys salvage cars and fixes them up for resale. I knew what I was getting into, because he sold it to me before doing any repairs. Drivers fender was damaged, both drivers doors and rear quarter panel. I picked up a fender and drivers door, and hung them both myself in about an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hrs. I then turned it over to my body guy who straightened the rear door and quarter, then completely repainted the whole car. Had 38k when I bought it. I think I have about $5,000 in it. I have State Farm insurance, and had no problem getting full coverage on it. Yes, I called them before buying it. Lol

Now for the downside. Some 2014's were blessed with a starter grinding issue. Seems the fix is to replace the "updated" starter, the flywheel, and starter dowel pins. Completely covered issue on "normal" cars. Not on my specially blessed, non warranted "salvage" vehicle. About once a month, I get a God awful grinding when the starter doesn't properly engage. In the US, safety recalls still have to be done by the dealer, free of charge.

I would not buy a late model salvage vehicle just because of the warranty issue. Suppose you got a bad trans, engine, or rear axle.
    "Uhm... Sorry Mr. Customer, you're not covered for that. We will allow you $3,000 trade in on a new one tho."
    Great points! Even if you wanted to upgrade, you wouldn't want to sell your car to a friend without disclosing that issue either.

It seems like more cars could be fixed without slapping the salvage title on them, but auto body work has gotten to be so expensive. It doesn't probably take much to slap salvage on a Mirage, especially an older one with some miles on it.

Even when you try really hard to be wise about it, salvage title purchases come with a risk. Good things to think about!