Thread: Do i need new tire valve stems when changing tires & wheels?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Do i need new tire valve stems when changing tires & wheels?

Hi guys,

Im new here. I just bought a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage. I bought some new aftermarket tires and rims.

I was wondering do I need to buy separate stems to change the tires out? Or do I have to buy new sensors all together?

any help on the process of changing the tires and rims is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by xTriini View Post
    ...bought some new aftermarket tires and rims.
    ...do I need to buy separate stems to change the tires out? Or do I have to buy new sensors all together?
    The tire shop can swap your existing TPMS sensors into your new wheels and your TPMS system will continue to operate normally. You will need new valve stems in your new wheels. The shop may charge you a few dollars for them because they are not normal rubber valve stems (even though they look like it from the outside).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

The tire shop can swap your existing TPMS sensors into your new wheels and your TPMS system will continue to operate normally. You will need new valve stems in your new wheels. The shop may charge you a few dollars for them because they are not normal rubber valve stems (even though they look like it from the outside).
    Thank you!

And I found these on another section of the forum, are these the correct ones?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-90/10996920-P

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xTriini View Post
    ...are these the correct ones?
    Yes. They are called VS-90 or TG1D valve stems. The TPMS sensor clips onto that metal end of the valve stem inside the wheel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or you could just put $2 rubber valve stems in your new wheels and ignore the tire pressure monitor.

If you're using traditional valve stems, they weather and wear out just like tire rubber does and should be changed every 4-5 years, or every time you change the tires... unless you're like me and go through a set of tires on your autocross car every 6-8 months.

As cool as tire pressure monitors are... I don't find them to be worth the money or trouble to keep up with. Been driving since 1983, I know how to use a tire pressure gauge, how to feel when a tire has low pressure, and how to visually see if a tire is suspect.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by top_fuel View Post
    yes. They are called vs-90 or tg1d valve stems. The tpms sensor clips onto that metal end of the valve stem inside the wheel.
    perfect ! Thank you!