Thread: Human Power For The Win! (Bicycle pump for adjusting tire pressure)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Human Power For The Win! (Bicycle pump for adjusting tire pressure)

Name:  IMGP0039.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  93.4 KB

Hi guys, check out what I bought to maintain proper tire pressure! I know most people suggest to get those 12v air compressors, but for just topping off single digit PSI..really seems like a hassle to me. Also, I love not having to bother with the cable, and having to turn car to accessory or actually turn on the car to fill up the tires! It's a double barrel bicycle pump, and as I can attest, it DEFINITELY works! I was curious to see if it was 'possible' and when I read that bike tires have PSI ratings of usually 2-3 times that of cars, I knew it would be. At the time before I filled my tires up, I was off by 4 PSI from recommended on each tire (recommended is 35 PSI, so I was at 31). It only took me 15 pumps with the foot pump to get the missing 4 PSI. Another thing I love doing it this way, I do not have hear a noisy, clanky compressor. Honestly, with those dinky 12v air compressors for cars, they're really not that fast. I'm actually thinking I'm faster with the bike pump than my dad's 12v compressor..

Name:  IMGP0036.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  90.8 KB

Above image for size comparison between wheel of the Mirage and the foot pump.

Name:  IMGP0041.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  89.9 KB

Above image for pumpage action. One thing of note. If you are not somewhat physically coordinated, do not use this method. I needed to quasi stand on the pump lever to let my meager weight and gravity assist me.

Anyways, that's it! I like the fact that the car is green getting insane gas mileage, so why not take it even further and make your tire fill ups greener too?

-Charlie-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whoops, forgot to mention, foot pump was only ~ $22

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I purchased the hands powered Schwinn

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to have a Camaro that had a leaky tire , and instead of getting it fixed I carried one of those 12v pumps! Even on vacation once! Imagine me every morning outside a hotel running that buzzy loud a** pump LOL. Thanks for reading.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    I purchased the hands powered Schwinn
    You mean, like the traditional, stereotypical bike pump where you pump downwards with your hands and keep the cylinder barrel between your legs supported by your feet?

How does it work for you?? Fast? Is it tough?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Charlie, this is the one http://findnsave.jconline.com/offer/...-Red/26704535/
    Never pump the entire wheel, it's good enough to keep the tire pressure in normal condition. And good for bikes, though

What's old is new... the Ford Model T came with a bicycle pump if I'm not mistaken.

I've used a standard upright bike pump for years to keep my tires topped up. In tires about the size of the Mirage's, I've found (for my pump) it's roughly 5-7 pumps per 1 PSI increase.

I have inflated tires from zero PSI to full a few times. I take a break halfway through though... not for myself but because the pump can get hot. I blew up the air hose once where it exits the pump body because the rubber got so soft! It inflated like a little balloon and burst.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice pump. My parents used to have one like that, it only had one cylinder. It worked great though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My old truck had a slow leak in the right rear tire and I used a hand bike pump to fill it back up every few days. For the truck tires it worked out to every 10 pumps would raise the pressure by 1 PSI. I would imagine the skinny Mirage tires take substantially less.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    What's old is new... the Ford Model T came with a bicycle pump if I'm not mistaken.

I've used a standard upright bike pump for years to keep my tires topped up. In tires about the size of the Mirage's, I've found (for my pump) it's roughly 5-7 pumps per 1 PSI increase.

I have inflated tires from zero PSI to full a few times. I take a break halfway through though... not for myself but because the pump can get hot. I blew up the air hose once where it exits the pump body because the rubber got so soft! It inflated like a little balloon and burst.
    This.