Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90k update

Country
    United States
    Thanks

90k update

It seems my last mirage update was at October 2017 at 60k miles.

Car is still alive and well. A year ago, a few AC bits were replaced when the compressor clutch disintegrated while driving.

Early this year, the transmission started having problems shifting to first. The transmission was pulled apart and found bits and pieces of what may have been first and/or second. A low-mileage transmission was found and installed along with new clutch assembly.

I'm scared to look, but I have a feeling there may be a hole in the exhaust.

The 90k mile maintenance list is extensive. I'll be chopping off at the list at stuff I can do myself - which is really most of it. Does anyone have experience with the mirage's valves?

These photos were taken today and last Sunday.
    Name:  IMG_20200521_162837.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200517_110702.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  76.6 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-22-2020),fc321 (05-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    ...the transmission started having problems shifting to first. The transmission was pulled apart and found bits and pieces of what may have been first and/or second. A low-mileage transmission was found and installed along with new clutch assembly.
    This wasn't covered under warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good Ares!
    (blank signature)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Ares (05-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts

Car is still alive and well. A year ago, a few AC bits were replaced when the compressor clutch disintegrated while driving.

Early this year, the transmission started having problems shifting to first. The transmission was pulled apart and found bits and pieces of what may have been first and/or second. A low-mileage transmission was found and installed along with new clutch assembly.
    Haven't heard of many manual transmission issues outside of clutch cables snapping on the end.

Any theory to the possible 1st/2nd gear issue coming up?

Since owning your Mirage, had you done any manual transmission fluid changes? Not that I think it should matter much.

Clutch maybe not, but wouldn't gears fall under 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty? Unless you didn't buy it new? Non-factory size tires an issue?

Just curious about your thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This wasn't covered under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Clutch maybe not, but wouldn't gears fall under 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty?
    I (am an idiot) got confused about the warranty and thought it was a 5yr/100k mile. Ironically, the shop claimed to have checked with the dealership to see if it was under warranty and the shop claimed that the dealer claimed that it was not. Either way, I'll take the hit on that one.

Haven't heard of many manual transmission issues outside of clutch cables snapping on the end.

Any theory to the possible 1st/2nd gear issue coming up?

Since owning your Mirage, had you done any manual transmission fluid changes? Not that I think it should matter much.
    I am not the most gracious driver and have grinded my fair share while shifting. The car has also been used to teach others to drive a manual tranny vehicle which probably didnt help either.

I was planning on drain/fill trans fluid at 100k along with a clutch replacement. Based on how the clutch felt, I would say it only had under 25% life left when we replaced it - which may or may not have made it to 100k.

I could have easily put the stock wheels/tires on the car before rolling into the dealership and probably wouldnt have been an issue.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-25-2020),Top_Fuel (05-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I (am an idiot) got confused about the warranty and thought it was a 5yr/100k mile. Ironically, the shop claimed to have checked with the dealership to see if it was under warranty and the shop claimed that the dealer claimed that it was not. Either way, I'll take the hit on that one.

I am not the most gracious driver and have grinded my fair share while shifting. The car has also been used to teach others to drive a manual tranny vehicle which probably didnt help either.

I was planning on drain/fill trans fluid at 100k along with a clutch replacement. Based on how the clutch felt, I would say it only had under 25% life left when we replaced it - which may or may not have made it to 100k.

I could have easily put the stock wheels/tires on the car before rolling into the dealership and probably wouldnt have been an issue.

Thanks for feedback! If you got everyone trained to drive a manual on the original clutch/transmission, the 2nd one should last you a long, long time!

If you feel your transmission was a little abused, I wouldn't feel bad about missing out on the powertrain warranty either. It was nice that they found/used a slightly used one for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for feedback! If you got everyone trained to drive a manual on the original clutch/transmission, the 2nd one should last you a long, long time!

If you feel your transmission was a little abused, I wouldn't feel bad about missing out on the powertrain warranty either. It was nice that they found/used a slightly used one for you.
    Not sure how I feel about not having used the warranty claim process. All I can come up with is that if I took it to the stealership, and they deny the warranty claim, they would have probably charged more to rebuild/put a new tranny in there.

Though I was not happy about the work of the repair shop I used either. When they put it all back together, a few things were loose etc. Honestly, I wish I just made a weekend project out of it and did it myself.

Also, I've been due for a new vehicle and have plans on stripping this one and turning it into a track toy. We'll see how the powertrain responses to that kind of work. While the new vehicle sales are too hard to resist at this moment, I'm waiting for the next gen OutlanderPHEV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure how I feel about not having used the warranty claim process. All I can come up with is that if I took it to the stealership, and they deny the warranty claim, they would have probably charged more to rebuild/put a new tranny in there.

Though I was not happy about the work of the repair shop I used either. When they put it all back together, a few things were loose etc. Honestly, I wish I just made a weekend project out of it and did it myself.

Also, I've been due for a new vehicle and have plans on stripping this one and turning it into a track toy. We'll see how the powertrain responses to that kind of work. While the new vehicle sales are too hard to resist at this moment, I'm waiting for the next gen OutlanderPHEV.
    It does seem hard to trust dealerships these days. I am cringe when I feel like I have to visit one. Sounds like you know what you want next, unless the great deals steer you in another direction. Thanks for sharing!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I'm scared to look, but I have a feeling there may be a hole in the exhaust.

The 90k mile maintenance list is extensive. I'll be chopping off at the list at stuff I can do myself - which is really most of it. Does anyone have experience with the mirage's valves?

These photos were taken today and last Sunday.
    Name:  IMG_20200521_162837.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200517_110702.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  76.6 KB
    Those rims look really good. I think that style of rim looks the best on Mirages. Looks better even more than a 5 spoke, or a 7 spoke alloy, like they had on older Mirages. I'm gonna get my rims put on my Mirage soon, paid very little and got a lot, only problem is some areas of Toronto are sketchy. Big time savings though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Those rims look really good. I think that style of rim looks the best on Mirages. Looks better even more than a 5 spoke, or a 7 spoke alloy, like they had on older Mirages. I'm gonna get my rims put on my Mirage soon, paid very little and got a lot, only problem is some areas of Toronto are sketchy. Big time savings though.
    Thanks for the compliment. The rims are Omni bottle caps made famous by 90s bimmers.

Someone has a red mirage hatch on here that has wheels with 5 holes. That looks great on the mirage as well.

I think the trick is to hide the small brakes/rotors.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-23-2020)