Page 70 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage monthly sales, US & Canada, 2013-2023 (projected 7000/yr for U.S.)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not a millennial, but it's interesting to hear what is important to them.

The price of new vehicles is not in line with the present economy. Even though the economy is somewhat up, the price of new vehicles is way out of line. Chevy is going to offer an $100,000 luxury pickup truck this coming year, & they are proud of that?

The automotive industry should take note of this -

"Average age of vehicles on U.S. roads hits 11.8 years. That's up from a light-vehicle population that was, on average,11.7 years old in 2018. The number of registered light vehicles in operation in the U.S. hit a record of more than 278 million this year, an increase of more than 5.9 million, or 2.2 percent."

I believe the greed of the automotive industry is cutting their own throats. Having to finance a new vehicle for 6-7 years (72-84 months) is ridiculous! I don't mean to sound judgmental in saying that, but it's such a waste of money! I can't imagine making huge payments on a vehicle for 6-7 years. When you finally have it paid off, what do have left? You probably don't have much save up for the next vehicle and your present one isn't worth much!

A typical vehicle depreciates 20% the first year and 10%/year after that. If you took 7 years to pay off a vehicle, it would lose 80% of its value in the meantime. Then factor in all the interest that paid over all that time.

Keep in mind, many people who take 6-7 years to pay off a new vehicle are probably not shopping for another car. During that time, they are throwing money at a car that just depreciates & meanwhile the price of vehicles continue to rise. When it is all done, their car buying situation may be even worst. Getting a better job or winning the lottery may help!

It's no wonder 11.8 (almost 12 years) is the average age of vehicles on U.S. roads!

Adding automatic climate control to a Mirage is a - who cares? Seriously, does anyone really think that is going to lure more customers into Mitsubishi showrooms? If Mitsubishi would have offered a more basic version of the Mirage for less money, I would have been impressed by that! The Mirage is a cheap, reliable, economy car. Adding more junk to it just makes it a more expensive, reliable economy car. I became interested in the Mirage when I found out I could buy a new one for less than 66% window sticker. Options - I could care less!

Offer new vehicles the average American can afford to buy or finance at a reasonable rate. The vehicles that my dad, brother, & I have bought in recent years had to be financed to get the best deal. Paying cash would have cost many thousands more in some cases. There is something seriously wrong with that! Car are money pits, not investments.
    Couldnt agree more. Im 38 years old so I kind of strattle the generation x to millenial generations, so I feel like I can get prospective from both sides. We're hitting a point in our society where young people for the first time ever arent going to be making more money than their parents. Salaries are stagnant and the cost of living is skyrocketing! Young people are saving much less on avg for retirement, health care is in crisis mode, and job opportunities that pay a LIVING WAGE are disappearing (what happened to factory jobs that afforded a blue collar American a decent life?) My point is things are going to get tougher economically for future generations. So I applaud Mitsubishi for having the foresight to see this and giving myself, a Nurse Assistant hospital worker, and my fiance, a highschool English teacher, an opportunity to buy a reliable modestly priced newer vehicle. Otherwise, we couldnt afford it. Sorry about the rant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Couldnt agree more. Im 38 years old so I kind of strattle the generation x to millenial generations, so I feel like I can get prospective from both sides. We're hitting a point in our society where young people for the first time ever arent going to be making more money than their parents. Salaries are stagnant and the cost of living is skyrocketing! Young people are saving much less on avg for retirement, health care is in crisis mode, and job opportunities that pay a LIVING WAGE are disappearing (what happened to factory jobs that afforded a blue collar American a decent life?) My point is things are going to get tougher economically for future generations. So I applaud Mitsubishi for having the foresight to see this and giving myself, a Nurse Assistant hospital worker, and my fiance, a highschool English teacher, an opportunity to buy a reliable modestly priced newer vehicle. Otherwise, we couldnt afford it. Sorry about the rant.
    You are so right about many of the things you just expressed!

The Mirage is a world car that Mitsubishi was willing to bring to the United States, & I respect them for that. I get really irritated by car critic snobs, because they focus on so many of the wrong things about cars. My worst vehicles have been vehicles rated high by Consumer Reports. My favorite vehicles are ones that have been trashed by them. The Mirage is a prime example of that! Thankfully, a class action lawsuit that Subaru lost took care of my Forester issues for the now. I doubt I would ever buy another Subaru. If I lost my Mirage to an accident or something today, I would be picking out a 2019 Mirage tomorrow.

The world may be a better place if more people embraced what the Mirage has to offer (affordable, reliable, economical). I honesty believe that!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Not too bad at all for the Mirage. Within a couple of hundred sales from last year and a better June, be interesting to see if the trend continues.
    Actually pretty good considering we had a bogus study all over the internet last month claiming the Mirage is essentially death-on-wheels.

June, Canada

180 Mirages & G4's sold. That's down from 207 in the same month last year.

---

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Spark sales have taken off in the US:

Chevrolet Spark sales increased 62.24 percent to 7,226 units

That's a quarterly figure (Apr-Jun), and so far this year, sales are at 13,649. That's ahead of the Mirage at 12,901.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Spark sales have taken off in the US:
    If I search for a new car (Spark & Mirage) & do a "low to high" price sort, I see Chevy Sparks. A well established Chevy dealership (3rd or 4th generation) is 12 miles from my home & 1.5 miles from work.

I had to purchase a Mirage from a dealership that was 4-hours away to get the deal I wanted in 2017. The average person isn't going to do that.

I really like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for one. I don't care how much stuff you add to it! Adding more features & adding more trim levels is not making the car more appealing! It's a cheap economy car! This car is not priced right. Adding features to this car is not making it a better deal. Offer a base model for quite a bit less & see what happens?

If sales are down, I don't think it is because the potential customers are holding out for standard auto-climate controls in 2020? The Mirage is not a car that dazzles people. Unless it's super affordable to purchase, people will settle for cars like the Spark. I wouldn't do that, but I wouldn't think twice about buying a used Yaris or Fit instead.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's a feel-good story for sure.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I get really irritated by car critic snobs, because they focus on so many of the wrong things about cars. My worst vehicles have been vehicles rated high by Consumer Reports. My favorite vehicles are ones that have been trashed by them. The Mirage is a prime example of that!
    If Mitsubishi Motors North America requested the stripped down version of the Mirage, it would be on the receiving end of even worse criticism, and not just from automotive critics. MMNA knew that they had to offer a trim package competitive in today's market, and not configure a car for thirty years ago.

Airbags, antilock brakes, fuel injection and electronic ignition are only just the beginning. Once the technology is established, it is easy to replicate throughout the rest of the corporate lineup and now we have automatic climate controls, cruise control integrated with the transmission controller for optimum fuel economy (not doable with an add-on cruise control unit like the Rostra), Hill Start Assist (like it or not), electric steering assist that eliminates a hydraulic pump, Active Stability Control - the list goes on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If Mitsubishi Motors North America requested the stripped down version of the Mirage, it would be on the receiving end of even worse criticism, and not just from automotive critics. MMNA knew that they had to offer a trim package competitive in today's market, and not configure a car for thirty years ago.

Airbags, antilock brakes, fuel injection and electronic ignition are only just the beginning. Once the technology is established, it is easy to replicate throughout the rest of the corporate lineup and now we have automatic climate controls, cruise control integrated with the transmission controller for optimum fuel economy (not doable with an add-on cruise control unit like the Rostra), Hill Start Assist (like it or not), electric steering assist that eliminates a hydraulic pump, Active Stability Control - the list goes on.
    This is all true...to an extent. But PRICE counts for a lot as well, especially at the money-is-definitely-an-object end of the market. I think Mitsubishi would have done well to offer a 'stripper' version of the car that retailed for about $9,995. People can learn to live without a lot if the price is right. I get that the US market has requirements that raise the cost of most cars, but they were able to offer a version of the Mirage that retailed for CAD$9,995. That is USD$7,635! People geeked out over the Elio, which was supposed to retail for about $7,500. It only had three wheels!

Some people just don't want a lot...and they don't want to have to pay for it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is all true...to an extent. But PRICE counts for a lot as well, especially at the money-is-definitely-an-object end of the market. I think Mitsubishi would have done well to offer a 'stripper' version of the car that retailed for about $9,995. People can learn to live without a lot if the price is right. I get that the US market has requirements that raise the cost of most cars, but they were able to offer a version of the Mirage that retailed for CAD$9,995. That is USD$7,635! People geeked out over the Elio, which was supposed to retail for about $7,500. It only had three wheels!

Some people just don't want a lot...and they don't want to have to pay for it.
    But is that a profitable marketing plan?

I see a similar ploy where a car company offers a cheap low price, and that model is a unicorn - unavailable on the lot and one can't be found in the country. That marketing doesn't help build the company name. It builds the wrong kind of reputation, and Mitsubishi is trying (needs?) to build it's reputation beyond cheap stripped-down cars. At least that's what I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)